Author Topic: 20 Games In - What Are Your Thoughts?  (Read 5967 times)

Re: 20 Games In - What Are Your Thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2022, 08:28:20 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
It's our Championship to lose. The West is a mess, and the East (albeit stronger) is not as dominating as I expected it to be.

Milwaukee is legit but we are better.

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2022, 08:33:21 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I really, really want to see us against the Bucks. Their defense has been elite this year. Assuming we stay healthy, it’s the only challenge I see in the East. I really want a rematch with GSW in the finals (they seem to be figuring it out and they’re winning again). Beat them in 5, maybe 6.

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2022, 08:54:59 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
This is a fun team. It's such a privilege to see Derrick White throw a beautiful bounce pass to Malcolm Brogdon on the break last night, and then realize that they are our 4th and 5th ball handlers. The team is filled with smart, unselfish players that are genuinely seeking the best shot they can.

It's easier to win with offense than defense. Defense takes so much effort. I'd like to see them be able to turn on their defense a bit more later in the season, just to show they can going into the playoffs.

Kornet has teased his ability to impact a team as a rotation player, and he's starting to do it now. I think he could be a reasonable replacement for Daniel Theis in our rotation. Hauser looks like a 10 year rotation player that we have locked up for several more years. Horford still looks effective and Grant Williams continues to show his capabilities as a team defender and in a 5-out offensive system. Tatum and Brown both took a huge leap this year.

Just win with offense all year, stay healthy, and then turn the defense on come playoff time.

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2022, 08:56:19 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Stevens was right about all the roster decisions. The team is so good it now seems tough to consider trading anyone.

Mazzulla has finally solved how to get this group to play with movement and pace, and now we have the best offense in the NBA.

Brogdon and White are thriving. Smart seems happy with his role. Somehow even Pritchard is figuring out how to play well without consistent minutes.

A lot still depends on 36 year old Al Horford.

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2022, 09:18:18 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Great start, still worried about the lack of size, which I believe has correlated to the drop in defense and is clearly responsible for the rebounding deficit (and it is nearly a 5 rebound swing from last year).  Rob will certainly help with both of those, but I'm not sure he will make up the whole difference. The team has also been pretty healthy (obviously aside from Rob and Gallo) in that guys that normally miss 15 or so games haven't missed very many yet (Brogdon is the only guy that has missed a string of games in a row and that was just 4).   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2022, 09:20:02 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1805
Well my thoughts are that the Celtics are the best team in the NBA and the stats prove it:

#1 points scored/game (120.4);
#1 points differential (7.0);
#1 3pt% (40.0%);
#1 ft% (85.2%);
#1 3pt made/game (16.4) - tied with GS;

The Cs bench is much better than I expected.  Improvements from Grant, Sam, Payton, Derrick, and Luke all shooting 40% or better from 3 and playing solid ball.  In addition Big Al has been a huge surprise playing 31 m/g shooting 48.7% from 3 and playing solid D.  Luke has done a surprisingly good job of backing up Al while we wait for Rob.  Marcus is playing like a pg leading the team in assists.  Only negative with Marcus is he still shoots too many 3s (3rd most on the team with the lowest % of the rotation).  Finally in addition to the Jays playing great, the addition of Malcolm to the team has lifted them to the stratosphere.  Really looking forward to seeing how their defense will improve with Rob back in the lineup.  If the team continues to play like the first 20 games, Tatum should be MVP and the Cs will raise #18 to the rafters.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2022, 09:23:17 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Great start, still worried about the lack of size, which I believe has correlated to the drop in defense and is clearly responsible for the rebounding deficit (and it is nearly a 5 rebound swing from last year).  Rob will certainly help with both of those, but I'm not sure he will make up the whole difference. The team has also been pretty healthy (obviously aside from Rob and Gallo) in that guys that normally miss 15 or so games haven't missed very many yet (Brogdon is the only guy that has missed a string of games in a row and that was just 4).   

I've paid more attention to this since you brought it up in previous posts, and I've come to agree with you on this. As a general rule, more size = better defense. That size has to be somewhat versatile to defend spread NBA systems, but it does matter.

I think Brad Stevens knows this too, which is why we keep hearing rumblings that he's looking for more size to add to the bench.

Kornet, Griffin, and Vonleh can all give you some minutes in different matchups. They may not be as productive as you'd like, but they can hold their own.

But I'd like to get another productive big man with size that can play the 4-5. Ideally, he could play next to any of Williams, Williams, or Horford if we needed him to, but that may be a lot to ask for with our current trade assets and matching salaries.

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2022, 09:42:34 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
LINEUPS                                                                                 NETRTG
N. Vonleh - M. Brogdon - J. Tatum - G. Williams - S. Hauser          60.6
M. Smart - J. Brown - M. Brogdon - J. Tatum - G. Williams            29.9
M. Brogdon - J. Tatum - L. Kornet - G. Williams - S. Hauser          25.0
A. Horford - M. Smart - J. Brown - D. White - G. Williams            11.4
A. Horford - M. Smart - J. Brown - J. Tatum - D. White                11.2
A. Horford - J. Brown - J. Tatum - D. White - G. Williams             9.5
M. Brogdon - J. Tatum - D. White - G. Williams - S. Hauser          7.6
M. Smart - N. Vonleh - J. Brown - J. Tatum - D. White                 6.7
A. Horford - M. Smart - J. Brown - J. Tatum - G. Williams            3.9
M. Brogdon - J. Tatum - D. White - L. Kornet - S. Hauser            -11.9
A. Horford - M. Smart - J. Brown - M. Brogdon - J. Tatum           -14.3
M. Smart - J. Brown - J. Tatum - D. White - G. Williams             -29.3

LINEUPS                                                                             +/-
A. Horford - M. Smart - J. Brown - J. Tatum - D. White            31
N. Vonleh - M. Brogdon - J. Tatum - G. Williams - S. Hauser    20
M. Smart - J. Brown - M. Brogdon - J. Tatum - G. Williams      11
M. Brogdon - J. Tatum - L. Kornet - G. Williams - S. Hauser      9
A. Horford - J. Brown - J. Tatum - D. White - G. Williams          7
A. Horford - M. Smart - J. Brown - D. White - G. Williams         7
M. Brogdon - J. Tatum - D. White - G. Williams - S. Hauser      4
A. Horford - M. Smart - J. Brown - J. Tatum - G. Williams         3
M. Smart - N. Vonleh - J. Brown - J. Tatum - D. White              1
B. Griffin - M. Smart - J. Tatum - D. White - G. Williams          -3
M. Brogdon - J. Tatum - D. White - L. Kornet - S. Hauser        -6
M. Smart - J. Brown - J. Tatum - D. White - G. Williams         -12
A. Horford - M. Smart - J. Brown - M. Brogdon - J. Tatum      -14

These are sorted for line ups with more than 12 minutes total playing time.  Some interesting results in my opinion.  Some line ups you would expect to do well, didn't.  And likewise the other way around. 

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2022, 09:43:06 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
My thoughts?  C's much better than I expected on O.  Worse than expected on D.  Very good start to the season.  Keeping my fingers crossed regarding potential injuries.  Very thankful for Brad Stevens.  I don't care for the MVP talk or the other BS.  I want the players focused on 1 goal. 

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2022, 09:50:17 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
LINEUPS                                                                                 NETRTG
N. Vonleh - M. Brogdon - J. Tatum - G. Williams - S. Hauser          60.6
M. Smart - J. Brown - M. Brogdon - J. Tatum - G. Williams            29.9
M. Brogdon - J. Tatum - L. Kornet - G. Williams - S. Hauser          25.0
A. Horford - M. Smart - J. Brown - D. White - G. Williams            11.4
A. Horford - M. Smart - J. Brown - J. Tatum - D. White                11.2
A. Horford - J. Brown - J. Tatum - D. White - G. Williams             9.5
M. Brogdon - J. Tatum - D. White - G. Williams - S. Hauser          7.6
M. Smart - N. Vonleh - J. Brown - J. Tatum - D. White                 6.7
A. Horford - M. Smart - J. Brown - J. Tatum - G. Williams            3.9
M. Brogdon - J. Tatum - D. White - L. Kornet - S. Hauser            -11.9
A. Horford - M. Smart - J. Brown - M. Brogdon - J. Tatum           -14.3
M. Smart - J. Brown - J. Tatum - D. White - G. Williams             -29.3

LINEUPS                                                                             +/-
A. Horford - M. Smart - J. Brown - J. Tatum - D. White            31
N. Vonleh - M. Brogdon - J. Tatum - G. Williams - S. Hauser    20
M. Smart - J. Brown - M. Brogdon - J. Tatum - G. Williams      11
M. Brogdon - J. Tatum - L. Kornet - G. Williams - S. Hauser      9
A. Horford - J. Brown - J. Tatum - D. White - G. Williams          7
A. Horford - M. Smart - J. Brown - D. White - G. Williams         7
M. Brogdon - J. Tatum - D. White - G. Williams - S. Hauser      4
A. Horford - M. Smart - J. Brown - J. Tatum - G. Williams         3
M. Smart - N. Vonleh - J. Brown - J. Tatum - D. White              1
B. Griffin - M. Smart - J. Tatum - D. White - G. Williams          -3
M. Brogdon - J. Tatum - D. White - L. Kornet - S. Hauser        -6
M. Smart - J. Brown - J. Tatum - D. White - G. Williams         -12
A. Horford - M. Smart - J. Brown - M. Brogdon - J. Tatum      -14

These are sorted for line ups with more than 12 minutes total playing time.  Some interesting results in my opinion.  Some line ups you would expect to do well, didn't.  And likewise the other way around.

Lineup data can be pretty wonky.  You're looking (in some cases) at a total of 13 minutes over 20 games.  That's, what, 39 seconds per game on average?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2022, 10:04:26 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I really want a rematch with GSW in the finals (they seem to be figuring it out and they’re winning again). Beat them in 5, maybe 6.

This is something I've been wondering.

Not putting the cart before the horse, and not who will be the easiest to beat, but strictly from a main event fantasy booking perspective, who do people want to see the Celtics face in the Finals? 

While I'd love to get revenge for last year, I'm pretty burnt out on Golden State at this point and really want to see anybody else but them in the Finals.  Wondering if others feel the same, or if you'll want the revenge win and to be lineal champ?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2022, 10:09:30 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I really want a rematch with GSW in the finals (they seem to be figuring it out and they’re winning again). Beat them in 5, maybe 6.

Not putting the cart before the horse, and not who will be the easiest to beat, but strictly from a main event fantasy booking perspective, who do people want to see the Celtics face in the Finals? 

While I'd love to get revenge for last year, I'm pretty burnt out on Golden State at this point and really want to see anybody else but them in the Finals.  Wondering if others feel the same, or if you'll want the revenge win and to be lineal champ?

Fantasy?  The Lakers, because I'd love to get some revenge on Lebron.

But honestly, I don't care.  Whoever is easiest to beat, haha.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2022, 10:35:32 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If Rob can come back healthy, I see no team stopping us. If not, I see ECF but coin toss or two beyond.

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2022, 10:41:09 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Very happy with what we are seeing.   It looks like everyone has settled into a role that they are embracing.   The team can handle off games from anyone.   

Rob Williams will not only be a boost to the defense, he will be a boost to the offense as well adding a new dimension to have to defend.   

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2022, 10:42:03 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

I'd like the Clippers, because I want to see Tatum and Brown against Kawhi and George.  The high-level wing play in that series would be incredibly entertaining.  (I know, Kawhi isn't himself -- this presumes he returns to something near his former abilities, because otherwise the Clippers aren't making it to the finals).