Author Topic: If the Celtics didn't exist, would you follow the NBA?  (Read 3273 times)

If the Celtics didn't exist, would you follow the NBA?
« on: November 23, 2022, 01:33:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm curious, do people like the NBA independently of the Celtics, or do they mostly just follow the franchise?

I watch as many Celtics games as possible.  I used to watch a lot of general NBA games, but recently, I just find myself not caring.  I'll watch a Lakers game to specifically root against them if they're losing sometimes, but otherwise I just don't watch much.  Even in the playoffs, I'll generally watch Giannis, and maybe Luka.  I guess I just don't like the sport in general as much as I used to.  Back in the day, I found so many teams to be entertaining.  I'd watch a random Magic vs. Raptors game.  I'd actively follow the Barkley Suns, the Webber Kings, the Blazers, the Pacers, etc. 

The one exception is that I read a lot of NBA news on all 30 teams.  I have a pretty good idea what's happening with the various teams, I follow transactions and rumors, I devour the stats.  But watching just doesn't entertain me much these days, outside of the Celts?

How much general NBA do you watch?  Are there specific franchises that you watch?  Are you going to watch a couple of lower level playoff teams play on a random weeknight in January?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: If the Celtics didn't exist, would you follow the NBA?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 02:02:57 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I fall in same boat. Sometimes I'll watch a Celtics game live and the replay next morning while I'm working. I'm unsure why I lost interest in watching all the teams since I do have league pass but I have. Like you I just stopped caring.
ok fine

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 02:33:11 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
If I'm in front of the TV and need to something to watch and there's a non-Celtics game easily available, I might tune in for a bit. I can appreciate the talent of other teams and players, and I certainly pay attention to the bigger news items around the league, but I don't usually closely follow the happenings of other teams.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 03:06:23 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
Pretty much just Celtics for me. Follow the greater NBA news bits but the NBA in general is kinda...undramatic. It lacks intensity, story line and soul. In the past I've maintained more interest, especially when something novel or legendary starts happening, ie Linsanity come to mind. Is it just me or is there less of that stuff to latch on to? Playoffs, I'll watch some other series if there is an exciting team or story. Just not as much time in this working and growing teenagers period of my life.

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 03:13:02 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
To be honest I've never been the kind of sports fan who can just sort of watch any sport without a rooting interest. I know a lot of football fans like that, guys who just like watching whatever the Thursday/Monday night game is, but I've never been able to do that with any sport so its not really an NBA specific issue with me.

On the other hand if the Celtics didn't exist maybe I'd just find another team to latch onto?

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 03:34:17 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I still watch some non-celtic games, but not as much as I used to. The NBA was so much better 10-15 years ago… There just aren’t that many (non-Celtic)players around the league that I find exciting to watch. For me it’s really just Ja Morant. He’s absolutely electric to watch.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 05:08:22 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 03:52:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I probably would have. I ended up barracking for the Cs because I was super into basketball growing up (not that I’m not any longer), and the Celtics suited my Irish background. I likely would have chosen a random team like Denver, being a fan of McDonalds ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 04:11:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Guess the Lakers. ….

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2022, 04:41:14 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
if the Celtics didn't exist, I couldn't care less about the NBA.  Product is awful.  hate the way the game is played.  much prefer the style played in the early and mid-80's. 

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2022, 04:58:12 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807
I had season tickets for the Bullets/Wizards for 25 years to get better seats to see the Celtics when they came to town.  I gave up the seats during the pandemic. I don’t care about any NBA  team except the Celtics. 
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 05:05:17 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I’m in an NBA fantasy league so I’m a junky.

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2022, 05:15:50 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I watch maybe 10-12 NBA regular season games a year across the league, and I catch up on a couple dozen more, just as a byproduct of where I live and my schedule. So, while I'm happy with the amount of hoops that I get to watch (I prefer it to watching 1-, 2-, or 300 games per season to be honest), I also happen to think the quality of the average game is quite good - there's one or two players to watch on nearly every franchise.

But I don't really follow the ins and outs across the league anymore - I just root for the C's like your run of the mill Sully O'Plebian and watch the big names and rising stars like your average ESPN watcher. In some ways it's more fun, because I think the burnout comes from the constant coverage and the inanity that accompanies it.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2022, 05:23:46 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
NOPE
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2022, 05:49:05 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Any NBA game I would watch now would only be as it relates to the Celtics.  No, I’d have no interest if there was no Celtics.

The only league I can watch outside of the team I root for is NFL.

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2022, 06:10:12 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I am a basketball fan in general, so I would def still watch both college and NBA basketball, but it wouldn't be as fun.