Author Topic: Jaylen and his Anti-Semitic Friends (split)  (Read 12865 times)

Jaylen and his Anti-Semitic Friends (split)
« on: November 20, 2022, 05:49:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Anyone else a bit concerned about Jaylen’s continued support of Kyrie?

https://twitter.com/fchwpo/status/1594458907883233280

He’s really living up to that faux intellectual tag

================================================================

I split this off, since the conversation is more about Jaylen at this point than it is Kyrie or Tsai
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 03:43:31 PM by Roy H. »
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Re: Jaylen and his Anti-Semitic Friends
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 06:04:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Why is he a faux intellectual? Most everyone who really knows him and who has been in contact with him in educational settings says he is extremely intelligent. He pursues educational endeavors in the off-season. He doesn't pretend to be more intelligent than he is or spout ridiculous intellectual theories that have been debunked, ala Kyrie.

He's supported Kyrie through this. He went into business with Kanye. Want to question his judgment? I get that. What to question him being a racial hypocrite given his support of BLM and also support of Kyrie? I get that. Want to question whether his selection of friends is terrible? I get that. But none of that makes him a faux intellectual.

I consider myself very intelligent. But I've made bad decisions. I've shown some very questionable judgment. I made friends with people who were a bad influence on me and my life. I did that all my life and even more when I was 26 years old and younger. Does that make me a faux intellectual?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 06:11:56 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 06:35:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Why is he a faux intellectual? Most everyone who really knows him and who has been in contact with him in educational settings says he is extremely intelligent. He pursues educational endeavors in the off-season. He doesn't pretend to be more intelligent than he is or spout ridiculous intellectual theories that have been debunked, ala Kyrie.

He's supported Kyrie through this. He went into business with Kanye. Want to question his judgment? I get that. What to question him being a racial hypocrite given his support of BLM and also support of Kyrie? I get that. Want to question whether his selection of friends is terrible? I get that. But none of that makes him a faux intellectual.

I consider myself very intelligent. But I've made bad decisions. I've shown some very questionable judgment. I made friends with people who were a bad influence on me and my life. I did that all my life and even more when I was 26 years old and younger. Does that make me a faux intellectual?
Showing an inability to think critically leads to a questioning of intelligence.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 06:52:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Showing an inability to think critically leads to a questioning of intelligence.
Nah. It's not critical thinking. It's emotional. Very different. He is also young. Young people can show bad judgment and associate with the wrong people. It has nothing to do with intelligence.

I am not saying you are doing this, but a lot of people who label him this way do so because they have issues with strong, intelligent black men. They know they can't call them dumb or stupid because they are intelligent, so they hit them with the faux-intellectual tag as a way of trying to say the same thing.

Kyrie is definitely a faux intellectual. Dude isn't that intelligent, tries to portray himself as one and spouts ridiculous theories about stuff he knows nothing about. THAT is a faux intellectual. Know who else is, Aaron Rodgers. And Alex Jones. Trump is another. Bill Maher is another.

JB, I just don't see it. I see a young guy associating with the wrong people and sticking up for his friends.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 07:03:33 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
 I feel pretty comfortable in my own skin saying that Jaylen looks stupid in the wake of all of this.

I also think that most honest evaluations would wind up with this conclusion: some we’ve already discussed in this thread, to which you complained that people were being mean-spirited because JB made a statement was borderline unintelligible.

finally, there are a lot of people (of a wide range of cultures and skin tones) who, by words and actions, gatekeep “real” discrimination. I think a lot of the conversation around defending Kyrie (as well as the video that kicked this off) speaks to that.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 07:09:19 PM by Kernewek »
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 07:19:51 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Weird. IT posted something similar in support of Kyrie and the demonstration outside of Barclays. Disappointing. Honestly think JB should be suspended too.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 08:29:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Weird. IT posted something similar in support of Kyrie and the demonstration outside of Barclays. Disappointing. Honestly think JB should be suspended too.

I think Jaylen has been an embarrassment on this issue, and his support of Kyrie goes well beyond his role as an NBAPA vice president.

Is support for an anti-Semite worthy of suspension?  If so, a whole lot of NBA players would have to be suspended.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 08:39:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I think Jaylen has been an embarrassment on this issue, and his support of Kyrie goes well beyond his role as an NBAPA vice president.

Is support for an anti-Semite worthy of suspension?  If so, a whole lot of NBA players would have to be suspended.
Yeah, I'm not sure a suspension helps, but he needs people in his ear to try and guide him away from this.

Whether he listens is on him

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 08:48:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Yeah, I'm not sure a suspension helps, but he needs people in his ear to try and guide him away from this.

Whether he listens is on him

Right.  He needs good advisors.  The issue is, when he decided to choose a mentor in business, it was Kanye.  When he decided to decide which NBA players to befriend, he picked Kyrie.

Jaylen has a "type", and it's not an encouraging one.  He's an amazing player, but there's at least a risk of JB following a really poor path going forward. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2022, 09:04:47 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
It is a problem.  Perhaps if David Stern would have brought the hammer down on Charlie Ward, a precedent would be set, but Stern didn't even penalize Ward at all.  I linked an article below that talks about what Ward said and what Stern said when choosing not to penalize him.  Sometime though you have to set precedent.  The NBA just hasn't set the correct precedent on this sort of hate speech and allows it to fester.

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/24/sports/pro-basketball-ward-is-contrite-after-stern-s-rebuke.html
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2022, 09:26:19 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Well Silver says the NBA encourages their players to speak up on social issues. I guess that's as long as they fit the narrative that the league wants to craft.  When it falls outside the narrative and pushes in to matters that are controversial I'm sure just he'd just like it to go away, as someone else here alluded to.

Too many seem to feel like free speech is fine as long as it's the 'right' free speech.

I support Jaylen's right to speak his mind, but if he wants to push things into controversial topics he'll just have to deal with the blowback he's going to to get. But I also wouldn't suspend him or punish him for it.

Some in the media trip over themselves trying to say how smart a guy Jaylen is and what a great role model he is. Maybe not so fast on that one. Maybe also not so fast on the athletes as role models thing either. Or maybe end it all together.

Jaylen's a pretty [dang] good baskeball player. That works for me. I do admire what he's doing in the community. But I have zero interest in his opinions on various issues - this one included.

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2022, 09:48:44 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
https://twitter.com/FCHWPO/status/1594514788599881728?s=20&t=GDKQ9-E9Mx-JGEuCicL2ag

I was not aware of what specific group that was outside of Barclay’s Center tonight. I was celebrating the unification of our people welcoming the return of Kyrie to the court, first glance I thought it was a known fraternity the (C/Que’s) Omega psi phi (step’n) showing support

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2022, 10:08:47 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  This all really stinks. This is the bad part of technology. Can spread  a hateful message further and faster than ever. Feels like everyone hates eachother . Another shooting today too. So many of these acts are partly due to being poisoned by sometimes hateful ideologies and it’s been going on forever.
    Religions villaininzing another . I remember as a kid they’d have people play the voice parts in an Easter Mass “play” . Reading  from a book a certain section would play “ the Jews.”  Chanting this stuff as a child. Uggh

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2022, 10:11:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
https://twitter.com/FCHWPO/status/1594514788599881728?s=20&t=GDKQ9-E9Mx-JGEuCicL2ag

I was not aware of what specific group that was outside of Barclay’s Center tonight. I was celebrating the unification of our people welcoming the return of Kyrie to the court, first glance I thought it was a known fraternity the (C/Que’s) Omega psi phi (step’n) showing support
I wonder how many times Jaylen is going to apologise this season for mistakes that would have been avoided by 5 minutes of thought.

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2022, 10:22:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
In the last month JB has tweeted support of:

Kanye
Kyrie
Black Hebrew Israelites

All we need are some quotes from Farrakhan and Malcolm X to make Black Supremacist Anti-Semite bingo.

Edit:  Research shows he’s a big Malcolm X fan, too.  I haven’t seen any Farrakhan tweets out there yet, but birds of a feather…
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 10:32:43 PM by Roy H. »