Author Topic: It's John Collins Trade Rumor time again  (Read 1886 times)

It's John Collins Trade Rumor time again
« on: November 19, 2022, 11:15:02 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Surprise! There are reports that the Hawks are shopping John Collins. This time it might actually happen, though. I've seen reports about Phoenix and Utah being in the mix.

I've long thought Collins would be the perfect long term Al Horford replacement but with the C's being 13-3 without Rob, I feel a lot better about their big rotation and I don't think I want to mess with that.

But if the Hawks are looking to shed salary on the deal, the C's should try to stay involved and see if they can snag an ancillary player into one of their TPE's. What if someone like Cam Johnson or Damion Lee shakes lose in a trade with Phoenix? It's hard to know because I don't know what Atlanta is looking for in return.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: It's John Collins Trade Rumor time again
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 12:33:15 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Think of the long term game...Horford age and Timelord's injury history as the season progresses further. Prob John Collins would flourish in the Celtics system.  :angel:

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 02:49:05 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Collins would be great here but don’t need him way we are playing..
Suns might be interesting partner:
Atlanta trades Capela & Collins to Suns for Ayton, Crowder & Cam Johnson? Throw couple more in to make salaries work
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 03:14:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm not really interested in Collins at this moment.

If we re-sign Grant and he's not working out next year, then sure.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 03:17:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd love Collins, but there really isn't a way to acquire him without Brown, which doesn't make sense for Boston.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 03:53:51 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'm not really interested in Collins at this moment.

If we re-sign Grant and he's not working out next year, then sure.

Yeah, we have the #1 record in the league and still haven't had Rob Williams play or have Smart and Brogdon both healthy for most of this season yet. I wouldn't change anything other than picking up someone off free agency for a small bench role.

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 05:06:25 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Atlanta trades Capela & Collins to Suns for Ayton, Crowder & Cam Johnson? Throw couple more in to make salaries work

Suns and Hawks aren’t interested in letting go of any useful players. If they need to attach another salary they’ll try it make it an end of the bench player. If that doesn’t work and they have to dump a player good enough to earn minutes on the Cs, they won’t want to send him to us - a team that could take them out in the playoffs. Expect them to look for a different trade partner.

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2022, 06:15:29 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Suns and Hawks aren’t interested in letting go of any useful players. If they need to attach another salary they’ll try it make it an end of the bench player. If that doesn’t work and they have to dump a player good enough to earn minutes on the Cs, they won’t want to send him to us - a team that could take them out in the playoffs. Expect them to look for a different trade partner.

Crowder is not with the team and the Suns clearly want to trade him. Saric is barely being used. There are useful players that the Suns want to move. Things haven't been great with Ayton there either and Jock Landale is a good fit at center for them if they move Ayton.

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2022, 06:27:41 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

Crowder is not with the team and the Suns clearly want to trade him. Saric is barely being used. There are useful players that the Suns want to move. Things haven't been great with Ayton there either and Jock Landale is a good fit at center for them if they move Ayton.

But assuming the Hawks don’t want those players or can’t make the salaries work, wouldn’t the Suns rather look for another team that isn’t a threat to beat them in the finals? Or who might give them a player they can use this year.

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2022, 06:36:55 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

But assuming the Hawks don’t want those players or can’t make the salaries work, wouldn’t the Suns rather look for another team that isn’t a threat to beat them in the finals? Or who might give them a player they can use this year.

Why are you assuming the Hawks don't want some combination of Ayton, Crowder, and Saric?

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2022, 01:17:52 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

Why are you assuming the Hawks don't want some combination of Ayton, Crowder, and Saric?

I’m not. I was responding to the suggestion that the Suns would send one of those players to Boston as the third team in a Phoenix-Atlanta trade involving Collins.

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2022, 03:42:32 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
Think of the long term game...Horford age and Timelord's injury history as the season progresses further. Prob John Collins would flourish in the Celtics system.  :angel:

Who would you replace to get Collins that the Hawks would want?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine

If we were adding him and losing nobody then it's a no brainer...but at $25m, we would have to do one of thse:

• Collins - Brogdon
  • Collins - Brown
  • Collins - Horford
  • Collins - White + GWill

Even if we waited till the end of the year to trade Gallo, we would still need $19m to match salaries. Horford for Collins would work for us, swap out an older guy for a younger one, but good luck getting Atlanta to agree to that. Plus if you compare them this season:

(click to enlarge)

Al is pretty much beating him in key metrics like FG%, 3FG%, eFG% and assists and is comparable in ppg and rpg. And Al is what, 5th option for our team?

I would take a pass on Collins. Too expensive for his production. But as @Big333223 said in his OP, if it's a sign they might be looking at a retool, they might be willing to part with some smaller pieces that would fit into our TPEs.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2022, 09:30:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Who would you replace to get Collins that the Hawks would want?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine

If we were adding him and losing nobody then it's a no brainer...but at $25m, we would have to do one of thse:

• Collins - Brogdon
  • Collins - Brown
  • Collins - Horford
  • Collins - White + GWill

Even if we waited till the end of the year to trade Gallo, we would still need $19m to match salaries. Horford for Collins would work for us, swap out an older guy for a younger one, but good luck getting Atlanta to agree to that. Plus if you compare them this season:

(click to enlarge)

Al is pretty much beating him in key metrics like FG%, 3FG%, eFG% and assists and is comparable in ppg and rpg. And Al is what, 5th option for our team?

I would take a pass on Collins. Too expensive for his production. But as @Big333223 said in his OP, if it's a sign they might be looking at a retool, they might be willing to part with some smaller pieces that would fit into our TPEs.
yeah the only thing that would make sense is Brown, but I don't think Atlanta has enough to send back to Boston in addition to Collins.  I guess maybe Murray, but I don't think the Hawks would do that even of Boston would. I'd at least think about something like this though

Brown, Gallinari for Collins, Murray

That would make White expendable as well, so he could be moved in a separate deal.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip