Author Topic: Media speculation about the Celtics wanting Poeltl  (Read 3753 times)

Media speculation about the Celtics wanting Poeltl
« on: November 16, 2022, 02:47:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2022/11/spurs-center-jakob-poeltl-rumored-to-be-celtics-trade-target-as-big-man-insurance.html

There you go.  Brian Robb and Brian Windhorst are talking about it, so it must be true. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Media speculation about the Celtics wanting Poeltl
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 02:53:24 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
And one note on this:  while everybody assumes that Gallo would be the outgoing salary piece, that's not necessarily so.  First, he's harder to trade, because he's got another year of guaranteed salary.  Second, he's coming off injury.  Third, he can't be traded to San Antonio again this season, as they already traded for him once and cut him.

A trade that does work:

Pritchard + Kornet + Vonleh + Jackson + #1

We could also take back minimum salary players from San Antonio in the deal, like Gorgui Deng.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 03:22:03 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
In a heartbeat. Poetl is a good solid player. He’s going to be looking for a bigger deal in the offseason so could be just as a rental.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 03:23:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gallo could be diverted to a third team, which shouldn't be that hard given he is only a $7 million contract.

A guy on a min contract coming back that I would want would be Isaiah Roby. I think he brings more to the table than Dieing or any of the guys we would be shipping out in Jackson, Vonleh and Kornet.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 03:28:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Gallo could be diverted to a third team, which shouldn't be that hard given he is only a $7 million contract.

A guy on a min contract coming back that I would want would be Isaiah Roby. I think he brings more to the table than Dieing or any of the guys we would be shipping out in Jackson, Vonleh and Kornet.

I don't know.  What team wants to take on a useless Gallo this season, along with his salary next year?  What compensation do they get?

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 03:42:40 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I can't see how there's a feasible trade for him from our side. SAS will want something of value, but we don't appear to have anything we're willing to depart with.

Grant Williams maybe, but you just create a hole in filling another.

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 03:45:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I don't know.  What team wants to take on a useless Gallo this season, along with his salary next year?  What compensation do they get?
The Jazz have a TPE Gallo fits in. If they start losing a bunch, they might take it on for a 2nd rounder and $3 million in cash. If Gallo gets healthy over the summer, Danny then could move him next year.

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2022, 03:51:39 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Poeltl's tough because he's likely a rental and you're very likely giving up a 2025 first for said rental. If you're hamstringing your ability to make future trades I'd really want someone with at least two years on their contract.

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2022, 03:54:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I love Poeltl, but I am a bit lost on this one. The asking price for him will be quite significant, and fairly so, but he would be behind Al and Rob (when healthy). I'm just not sure there's a deal to be made that isn't an overpay on our behalf, given he's an expiring small contract.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2022, 04:00:19 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Third, he can't be traded to San Antonio again this season, as they already traded for him once and cut him.

That makes it tough.  Even Pritchard and a pick (plus whatever) isn't that great of an offer but I guess we got Brogdon for about that, maybe less.

I think Gallinari has value, or at least, we don't have to pay someone to take him.  There is a good chance that he will we a tradable asset for next season.  There could be some team that would be willing to take him on and take that risk.

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2022, 04:33:56 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
I love Poeltl, but I am a bit lost on this one. The asking price for him will be quite significant, and fairly so, but he would be behind Al and Rob (when healthy). I'm just not sure there's a deal to be made that isn't an overpay on our behalf, given he's an expiring small contract.

I think he's someone the C's wait for.  Everyone right now has a high asking price because it's early in the season.  At the deadline, when San Antonio would like to move him because that's their last chance, the price drops.

Also it depends on how Houston is doing.  Right now they're losing too much -- hopefully they start winning a few games such that our second from them looks like it might convey (they need to not finish with a bottom-2 record), which would increase the value of one of our draft assets.

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2022, 04:35:29 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
And one note on this:  while everybody assumes that Gallo would be the outgoing salary piece, that's not necessarily so.  First, he's harder to trade, because he's got another year of guaranteed salary.  Second, he's coming off injury.  Third, he can't be traded to San Antonio again this season, as they already traded for him once and cut him.

A trade that does work:

Pritchard + Kornet + Vonleh + Jackson + #1

We could also take back minimum salary players from San Antonio in the deal, like Gorgui Deng.

I think that would be more likely. The first round pick would be the main thing that would be attractive for them, even if it would be in the high 20s.

Also it's entirely possible the two Brians are reading our forum and got the idea from us  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2022, 04:42:45 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Third, he can't be traded to San Antonio again this season, as they already traded for him once and cut him.

I actually don't think this is correct, but I'm not positive.  The rules are you can't sign a player who was cut after you traded him, so Atlanta couldn't have re-signed him after the trade (but they could now that we've signed him).  Also, you can't re-acquire a player in a trade that you traded away in the same season, and the offseason counts as part of this season for purposes of this rule, so we couldn't trade him to Atlanta (I think -- maybe we could since we signed him as a free agent.)

But I don't think there are rules about acquiring someone via trade whom you cut, assuming you didn't stretch the contract, which I don't think the Spurs did in this case, or reduce the value via a buyout (again, I don't think the Spurs did this, since the contract wasn't fully guaranteed).

I'm pretty sure the Spurs are on the table, but I might be wrong, because the rules are confusing around this issue.

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2022, 04:42:59 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yeah, I'd be hesitant to give up another 1st. Not because I don't want to improve the team, but because it would have to our 2024 pick, and it would really limit us on actually upgrading our roster in the future. Poetl is decent, but not all-in good.

We are doing decent enough now and we have the Disabled Player Exception which actually is a prize since it will be worth a lot more than the prorated vet minimum during buy-out season. We also still have ~$6M and ~$7M TPEs. I certainly don't love our Big depth, but with Rob eventually coming back and a likely buy-out candidate joining, no need to give up anything valuable at this point.

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2022, 04:45:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think he's someone the C's wait for.  Everyone right now has a high asking price because it's early in the season.  At the deadline, when San Antonio would like to move him because that's their last chance, the price drops.

Also it depends on how Houston is doing.  Right now they're losing too much -- hopefully they start winning a few games such that our second from them looks like it might convey (they need to not finish with a bottom-2 record), which would increase the value of one of our draft assets.
Agree about waiting until the deadline. That is our best bet, especially if the Spurs go all-in on the Wembenyama sweepstakes
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)