Author Topic: Two trades and a free agent.  (Read 1760 times)

Two trades and a free agent.
« on: November 07, 2022, 02:21:11 AM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
December 15th this can't happen till, let me start there.

1st trade is a sign and trade.  It's an all in this year and also for future years.  You do a sign and trade with the Hornets.  Celtics send Grant Williams, Justin Jackson and Danilo Gallinari a 2nd round pick for a S&T Miles Bridges.  Yes, he's got a bad past and getting out of trouble but the talent is there and a change of scenery could be needed.  Bridges also would be a great piece to put next to Tatum and Brown and create a three headed monster.  Bridges isn't going to get a max deal but isn't going to come without a price.  So if you did 4 years for 60 million or 4 years for 80 million, I would assume where he'll fall now cause of the trouble.  Why do you do this trade, a starting line up next year of Williams, Tatum, Bridges, Brown, Smart, would be terrifying for the league.  Also this year if he is able to play, he's off the bench or moving Horford to the bench since it's after the time Williams should be back by. 

2nd trade isn't a major splash but helpful.  Noah Vonleh, Luke Kornet and Payton Pritchard for Jarred Vanderbilt.  He' gives us some more size at the power forward and can play the small.  Pritchard is the odd man out in the backcourt, plus with drafting JD Davison this year makes Pritchard easier to let go.  JD has a higher ceiling I feel personally.  Vanderbilt also has this year and next under contract. 

Free agent signing, you bring back a fan favorite who is playing amazing overseas right now.  Tacko Fall you bring in on a 1 or 2 year deal.  The fans love it plus he seems to finally develop more into a solid rotation piece.  With Kornet and Vonleh traded Fall gives us the size we need. 

I'm putting the roster out as Miles Bridges isn't going to serve suspension or for long at least.  They'd have to sign another veteran or two to round off the roster but these 3 moves make the roster even more scary.  We also have the two trade exceptions to use.

Starting Five
Center - Williams III
Power Forward - Tatum
Small Forward - Bridges
Shooting Guard - Brown
Point Guard - Smart

Backup Five
Center - Fall
Power Forward - Horford
Small Forward - Hauser
Shooting Guard - White
Point Guard - Brogdon

Power Forward - Griffin
Forward - Vanderbilt

TW Deals
Power Forward - Kabengele
Point Guard - Davison

Re: Two trades and a free agent.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 03:15:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Regarding Bridges trade: the Celtics just ditched their coach for something as bad as the horrid case of domestic violence and assault Bridges committed and in a previous year cut ways with Jabari Bird when he committed domestic violence and assault. They aren't about to consider bringing in Bridges.

Second, signing and trading for a player this year has it's restrictions, including a hard cap, which the team is over, meaning before even making the trade, they would have to have other trades in place dumping salary that would put the team under the hard cap upon completion of that proposed Bridges trade. A lot of salary.

So that trade is never, ever going to happen.

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 08:50:26 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It's not happening Celtics978fan, Nick articulated why perfectly.

We have principled owners, though they need to have a team meeting to explain the Udoka decision more clearly to the players given some of their recent comments.

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 08:53:21 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hard pass on Miles Bridges.  The guy is a scumbag.  Don't want him anywhere near the Celtics. Not that they would even consider bringing him on anyways.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 09:03:20 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
As nick said, even if Bridges wasn't absolutely toxic or subject to a lengthy suspension, we can't acquire him due to the hard cap that would be imposed if we did a S&T.

Tacko is under contract in China, and even if he could get out of it, he's little more than a novelty, unfortunately.  Great guy, but not an NBA player.

I like Vanderbilt, but the Jazz won't trade him unless we attach draft compensation I'm guessing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 09:51:54 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I like Vanderbilt but I don’t love him - really limited as an offensive player - and we have to prioritize other needs. We’ve got limited trade capital.

If we are parting with a decent backup PG (Pritchard) and a pick, I want a quality 2d string center/PF.

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2022, 07:09:29 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
Regarding Bridges trade: the Celtics just ditched their coach for something as bad as the horrid case of domestic violence and assault Bridges committed and in a previous year cut ways with Jabari Bird when he committed domestic violence and assault. They aren't about to consider bringing in Bridges.

Second, signing and trading for a player this year has it's restrictions, including a hard cap, which the team is over, meaning before even making the trade, they would have to have other trades in place dumping salary that would put the team under the hard cap upon completion of that proposed Bridges trade. A lot of salary.

This sign and trade does work with how it's done.  I used saying 15 million and year.  Plus if you wanted to make it even easier you sign and trade Grant Williams with this trade.  Yes, this is probably not going to happen but it's more the idea behind the trade to get better and it's a possible trade on both of these. Using this website shows how it'll work with the salaries.  https://fanspo.com/nba/trade-machine

Sign-And-Trade Miles Bridges for a 4 year contract worth $62.7M.
Incoming trade value of $15.9M
Outgoing trade value of $7.9M (50% of their new contract salary next year)

2022 $15.9M • 2023 $15.6M • 2024 $15.6M • 2025 $15.6M

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2022, 07:20:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

This sign and trade does work with how it's done.  I used saying 15 million and year.  Plus if you wanted to make it even easier you sign and trade Grant Williams with this trade.  Yes, this is probably not going to happen but it's more the idea behind the trade to get better and it's a possible trade on both of these. Using this website shows how it'll work with the salaries.  https://fanspo.com/nba/trade-machine

Sign-And-Trade Miles Bridges for a 4 year contract worth $62.7M.
Incoming trade value of $15.9M
Outgoing trade value of $7.9M (50% of their new contract salary next year)

2022 $15.9M • 2023 $15.6M • 2024 $15.6M • 2025 $15.6M
Please re-read my post.

If you do a sign and trade you automatically get a salary hard cap, which is around $150 million this year. At the conclusion of the trade, the Celtics would need to be under that $150 million figure. They are currently at around $175 million.

That means the Celtics would need to salary dump around $18-20 million in salary before being able to complete the trade. In other words, the Celtics would need to find a team with enough cap space to absorb the salary of a player like Brogdon or two players like Smart and Kornet. The Celtics would probably have to send out draft capital to make that salary dump trade.

So your trade turns into Miles Bridges for Grant, Jackson, Gallo, Smart Kornet and at least two 2nd rounders but more probably a 1st and 2nd rounder.

All for a limited defensive SF that is a scumbag wife beater.

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2022, 08:14:59 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Bridges is also likely to be hit with a lengthy suspension for the felony DV conviction that occurred during the current season if he manages to sign with someone.

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2022, 09:19:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
You lost me when you described a scumbag like Bridges as "bad past and getting out of trouble but the talent is there and a change of scenery could be needed."

The scenery change he needs is a jail cell
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2022, 10:08:09 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
You lost me when you described a scumbag like Bridges as "bad past and getting out of trouble but the talent is there and a change of scenery could be needed."

The scenery change he needs is a jail cell

TP.

Bridges got a slap on the wrist. He really should've done jail time. He's a horrific person who inflicted great harm on a person he was supposed to love and protect. I'm all for rehabilitation, but that's not what's happening here. Let's not confuse personal growth with this country's undervaluing of women and it's continued mockery of justice.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman