Author Topic: Nets, Tsai upset about Cryrie's promotion of antisemitic book, film  (Read 23160 times)

Re: Nets, Tsai upset about Cryrie's promotion of antisemitic book, film
« Reply #165 on: November 10, 2022, 08:23:13 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The whole thing is semantics anyway.  Taking whatever word you want to use out of it, it is pretty clearly hate speech.  Whether you call it anti-semetic or something else, doesn't matter.  It is hate speech.  This sort of argument about who are the real semitic people doesn't alter the fact that what is being said is hate speech (to be clear it is also nonsense, but that isn't really relevant to the overall point I'm making).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #166 on: November 10, 2022, 04:50:22 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
While I'm not a fan of Jaylen supporting Kyrie, this is a pretty savage response:

https://twitter.com/fchwpo/status/1590809442656088064

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #167 on: November 10, 2022, 05:43:12 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
While I'm not a fan of Jaylen supporting Kyrie, this is a pretty savage response:

He'll be officially eligible for Rhetoric 201 any day now.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #168 on: November 11, 2022, 11:31:40 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Adam Silver hoping this can all go away so the NBA can get back to printing money:

“We had a direct and candid conversation,” Silver, who is Jewish, said in an interview with The New York Times, adding, “He’s someone I’ve known for a decade, and I’ve never heard an antisemitic word from him or, frankly, hate directed at any group.”

In a follow-up phone conversation, Silver added, “Whether or not he is antisemitic is not relevant to the damage caused by the posting of hateful content.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/10/sports/basketball/kyrie-irving-antisemitic-adam-silver.html

Not quite "I hope we are doing the right thing by signing this player" (ala the Bruins), but not that much better.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #169 on: November 11, 2022, 01:03:06 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620

He's got a deal with a company that has numerous human rights violations.
ok fine

« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2022, 01:14:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

They kinda all do. Most run sweat shop factories in Asia making their shoes for a few bucks to sell them for hundreds. Jaylen was dumb making this comment when, most likely, the companies making his gear are no different.

I mean, he is right that Nike's ethics are terrible, but so is most every other apparel company's ethics, his included.

« Reply #171 on: November 11, 2022, 06:51:23 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

They kinda all do. Most run sweat shop factories in Asia making their shoes for a few bucks to sell them for hundreds. Jaylen was dumb making this comment when, most likely, the companies making his gear are no different.

I mean, he is right that Nike's ethics are terrible, but so is most every other apparel company's ethics, his included.
I stick with new balance because at least some of their products are made partly here.

« Reply #172 on: November 11, 2022, 06:59:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I stick with new balance because at least some of their products are made partly here.
I said most because otherwise my son would kill me(not literally) because he works at Fanatics and they manufacture here in the states.

« Reply #173 on: November 18, 2022, 10:29:46 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

I wonder if he knows, fully, what he's doing. I'm all for big athletes going after Nike but if his aim is to defend Kyrie and Nike is such an unethical company then why has such a stand-up guy like Kyrie been working with them for so long?

Or maybe Jaylen is just doing his job as a VP of the union and speaking in defense of one of its members.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #174 on: November 18, 2022, 10:39:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
NVM

« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2022, 05:12:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I can find no current info or status about the six  Demands or tasks made to kyrie Irving by his employer.  I checked every day to see what effort he has made toward this end .   Looking to see if he is trying to resolve or make amends with the people who sign his checks.  Or have I missed all the latest news.

1) has Kyrie completed his six tasks ? 

2) has he even started his six tasks to get reinstated ?

3). has he announced if he intends to do these six tasks ?

4 ) or have the Nets walked back on the the SIX Tasks for Kryie ?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 05:17:51 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #176 on: December 01, 2022, 07:18:27 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Lebron is upset that he gets questioned about Kyrie's actions from this season, but not about Jerry Jones' actions when he was a 14 year old adolescent in 1957:

Quote from: Lebron
"I got one question for you guys before you guys leave. I was thinking when I was on my way over here, I was wondering why I haven't gotten a question from you guys about the Jerry Jones photo," James said. "But when the Kyrie [Irving] thing was going on, you guys were quick to ask us questions about that."

"When I watch Kyrie talk and he says, 'I know who I am, but I want to keep the same energy when we're talking about my people and the things that we've been through,' and that Jerry Jones photo is one of those moments that our people, Black people, have been through in America. And I feel like as a Black man, as a Black athlete, as someone with power and a platform, when we do something wrong, or something that people don't agree with, it's on every single tabloid, every single news coverage, it's on the bottom ticker. It's asked about every single day.

"But it seems like to me that the whole Jerry Jones situation, photo -- and I know it was years and years ago and we all make mistakes, I get it -- but it seems like it's just been buried under, like, 'Oh, it happened. OK, we just move on.' And I was just kind of disappointed that I haven't received that question from you guys."

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #177 on: December 01, 2022, 08:58:35 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Lebron is upset that he gets questioned about Kyrie's actions from this season, but not about Jerry Jones' actions when he was a 14 year old adolescent in 1957:

Quote from: Lebron
"I got one question for you guys before you guys leave. I was thinking when I was on my way over here, I was wondering why I haven't gotten a question from you guys about the Jerry Jones photo," James said. "But when the Kyrie [Irving] thing was going on, you guys were quick to ask us questions about that."

"When I watch Kyrie talk and he says, 'I know who I am, but I want to keep the same energy when we're talking about my people and the things that we've been through,' and that Jerry Jones photo is one of those moments that our people, Black people, have been through in America. And I feel like as a Black man, as a Black athlete, as someone with power and a platform, when we do something wrong, or something that people don't agree with, it's on every single tabloid, every single news coverage, it's on the bottom ticker. It's asked about every single day.

"But it seems like to me that the whole Jerry Jones situation, photo -- and I know it was years and years ago and we all make mistakes, I get it -- but it seems like it's just been buried under, like, 'Oh, it happened. OK, we just move on.' And I was just kind of disappointed that I haven't received that question from you guys."

I think “sports journalism” has hit its low. “Lebron, can you comment on mean/stupid things that your teammate from five+ years ago made?”

« Reply #178 on: December 01, 2022, 09:18:14 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Well, at least the NBA doesn’t care.

I wonder, if Gordon Hayward linked to a story advocating hatred toward Muslims, would the league do nothing?

I was looking back at this thread and noticed a second reference to Gordon Hayward. Why have you mentioned a white player (that hasn’t been on the team for years) twice in reference to Kyrie/Jaylen?

To me, this seems like Tucker Carlson’s “double standard” rhetoric. “What if a white guy did this?!?”

Why did Gordon make two appearances, and what does he have to do with Jaylen?

« Reply #179 on: December 01, 2022, 09:25:15 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Well, at least the NBA doesn’t care.

I wonder, if Gordon Hayward linked to a story advocating hatred toward Muslims, would the league do nothing?

I was looking back at this thread and noticed a second reference to Gordon Hayward. Why have you mentioned a white player (that hasn’t been on the team for years) twice in reference to Kyrie/Jaylen?

To me, this seems like Tucker Carlson’s “double standard” rhetoric. “What if a white guy did this?!?”

Why did Gordon make two appearances, and what does he have to do with Jaylen?

There is a double standard.

But, beyond that, it's putting things into a context that others can understand.  Black Hebrew Israelites in purple shirts chanting anti-Semitic rhetoric is no different than KKK members in white hoods chanting the same type of hate speech.  If you identify with the black hate group and brush off their comments (even complimenting their energy), but loudly condemn the KKK, you're simply exhibiting your own prejudice.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes