Author Topic: Woj: NBA Wants Hard Cap  (Read 2698 times)

Woj: NBA Wants Hard Cap
« on: October 28, 2022, 03:27:39 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
The NBA reportedly is seeking to add an "upper salary limit" in its negotiations with the National Basketball Players Association on a new collective bargaining agreement, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Unsurprisingly, the proposal has been met by the "firm resistance of the NBPA, to the point of the union considering it a non-starter in discussions, sources said," per Wojnarowski.

Essentially, the league is proposing a hard cap in an effort to keep payrolls from skyrocketing as teams re-sign their veteran players to lucrative deals and exceed the soft cap. The classic example is the Golden State Warriors, who already have a scheduled $214 million active roster cap for next season with the salaries they have on the books.

Per Woj's report, the hard cap would replace the current luxury tax system, which allows teams to exceed the soft cap but charges them increasing financial penalties as they further exceed the cap.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 03:43:04 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Woj: NBA Wants Hard Cap
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 04:37:58 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
It’s about time..hopefully it will go thru..baseball should do it also
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 05:11:21 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
This is what we call a negotiating tactic.  No way it happens — NBA owners always ask for this, and they never get it (which is fine by me — I hate the NFL’s salary cap system).

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 05:13:43 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
If leagues truly want more of their teams having a legit shot at titles, they need hard caps. Otherwise, 90% of conference finals and title rounds will consistently involve the same handful of teams—namely, the ones from big markets who have a lot of money to spend.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2022, 05:22:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It would be good for the sport, but it would take a long lockout.  With so many teams making record profits, I don’t see that happening.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2022, 05:28:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Needs to be done .  Way more positives than negatives.

Keeps Lakers from just buying titles .

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2022, 05:29:27 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
It would be good for the sport, but it would take a long lockout.  With so many teams making record profits, I don’t see that happening.

With so many teams making record profits, the hard cap would also be an especially tough sell.  It’s also not clear it would be actually good for the sport.  Most title winners have typically been pretty close to the luxury tax line since the repeater tax was instituted, and not massively over it.  The Warriors were the exception last year, not the rule.

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2022, 05:49:08 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
If leagues truly want more of their teams having a legit shot at titles, they need hard caps. Otherwise, 90% of conference finals and title rounds will consistently involve the same handful of teams—namely, the ones from big markets who have a lot of money to spend.

I don't really know if that's true. After all, the past 15 ECFs have featured 10 of the 15 different teams in the east, all of them at least twice:
Bucks
Hawks
Heat
Celtics
Raptors
Cavs
Pacers
Bulls
Magic
Pistons

And the West has a similar diversity:

West:
Suns
Clippers
Lakers
Nuggets
Warriors
Blazers
Rockets
Spurs
Thunder
Grizzlies
Mavericks

Like others have said, I think the repeater tax is doing its job. 4-5 years just seems so much longer than it actually is when we're in the middle of it.

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2022, 07:46:14 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I don't really know if that's true. After all, the past 15 ECFs have featured 10 of the 15 different teams in the east, all of them at least twice:
Bucks
Hawks
Heat
Celtics
Raptors
Cavs
Pacers
Bulls
Magic
Pistons

West:
Suns
Clippers
Lakers
Nuggets
Warriors
Blazers
Rockets
Spurs
Thunder
Grizzlies
Mavericks

Like others have said, I think the repeater tax is doing its job. 4-5 years just seems so much longer than it actually is when we're in the middle of it.

15 years is farther back than I was thinking. More recently (the last half-dozen or so years), the West has been mostly the Warriors and a few good-not-great teams that can't beat the Warriors, and the East has basically been LeBron teams (Cavs and Heat) plus the Raptors, Bucks, and Cs.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2022, 03:13:36 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
This is what we call a negotiating tactic.  No way it happens — NBA owners always ask for this, and they never get it (which is fine by me — I hate the NFL’s salary cap system).

The players will never agree to it because it's going to be seen as a restraint on trade and earnings. And yes of course the owners will love it (well most of them will, until they start to have to sell superstar players Patriots style because they're bumping up against the hard cap).

Interestingly 3 teams contributed to 73% of the luxury tax penalties in 2021-22 - the Warriors (Joe Lacob, net worth $1.5bn), the Nets (Joe Tsai, $7.7bn) and the Clippers (Steve Ballmer, $77.5bn).

Twenty of the 30 NBA teams are currently below the luxury tax threshold of $150.3 million -- with the other 10 teams projected to pay a league-record $697 million in luxury tax penalties in the 2022-23 season. Among them, 61% of that is shared among the Warriors ($176.5 million), the Clippers ($145 million) and the Nets ($108.9 million).

Those three teams contributed to 73% of the luxury tax penalties in 2021-22.

Full article at https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34896826/sources-nba-pursuing-upper-spending-limit-new-agreement-nbpa
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2022, 07:32:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Bucks
Hawks
Heat
Celtics
Raptors
Cavs
Pacers
Bulls
Magic
Pistons

West:
Suns
Clippers
Lakers
Nuggets
Warriors
Blazers
Rockets
Spurs
Thunder
Grizzlies
Mavericks

15 years is farther back than I was thinking. More recently (the last half-dozen or so years), the West has been mostly the Warriors and a few good-not-great teams that can't beat the Warriors, and the East has basically been LeBron teams (Cavs and Heat) plus the Raptors, Bucks, and Cs.
but the Warriors weren't even a tax team a lot of those seasons.  I mean they were below the tax entirely which is how they could even get Durant.  A hard cap won't fix things like that
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2022, 02:50:38 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar

Bucks
Hawks
Heat
Celtics
Raptors
Cavs
Pacers
Bulls
Magic
Pistons

West:
Suns
Clippers
Lakers
Nuggets
Warriors
Blazers
Rockets
Spurs
Thunder
Grizzlies
Mavericks

but the Warriors weren't even a tax team a lot of those seasons.  I mean they were below the tax entirely which is how they could even get Durant.  A hard cap won't fix things like that
Yeah two anomalous things here - LeBron being a top 10 player of all time and Golden State getting insanely lucky with their draft picks and a lack of cap smoothing in a TV deal year.

I don't think there's a particularly good argument for a hard cap, myself. Anyone care to make one?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2022, 09:45:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Bucks
Hawks
Heat
Celtics
Raptors
Cavs
Pacers
Bulls
Magic
Pistons

West:
Suns
Clippers
Lakers
Nuggets
Warriors
Blazers
Rockets
Spurs
Thunder
Grizzlies
Mavericks

Yeah two anomalous things here - LeBron being a top 10 player of all time and Golden State getting insanely lucky with their draft picks and a lack of cap smoothing in a TV deal year.

I don't think there's a particularly good argument for a hard cap, myself. Anyone care to make one?
This is exactly where I'm at.  the 10 highest total cap teams are in order:

Golden State
Brooklyn
Los Angeles C
Milwaukee
Washington
Los Angeles L
Minnesota
Boston
Dallas
Phoenix

I'm not sure what a hard cap would do to that.  I mean is the goal for a team like the Warriors to lose their young players to free agency.  So they can't re-sign Jordan Poole.  Or a team like Milwaukee in a small market to not be able to acquire someone like Jrue Holiday.  No Brogdon trade for Boston.  No Gobert trade for Minnesota.  Sorry Dallas, you can't build a winning team around Luka.  Phoenix we know you just went to the NBA Finals, but you can't re-sign Chris Paul, tough luck. 

The next 5 teams are Cleveland, Denver, Philly, Toronto, and Portland.

Hard cap is just a bad idea in a sport like this. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2022, 11:57:05 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Bucks
Hawks
Heat
Celtics
Raptors
Cavs
Pacers
Bulls
Magic
Pistons

West:
Suns
Clippers
Lakers
Nuggets
Warriors
Blazers
Rockets
Spurs
Thunder
Grizzlies
Mavericks

Golden State
Brooklyn
Los Angeles C
Milwaukee
Washington
Los Angeles L
Minnesota
Boston
Dallas
Phoenix

I'm not sure what a hard cap would do to that.  I mean is the goal for a team like the Warriors to lose their young players to free agency.  So they can't re-sign Jordan Poole.  Or a team like Milwaukee in a small market to not be able to acquire someone like Jrue Holiday.  No Brogdon trade for Boston.  No Gobert trade for Minnesota.  Sorry Dallas, you can't build a winning team around Luka.  Phoenix we know you just went to the NBA Finals, but you can't re-sign Chris Paul, tough luck. 

Unless the hard cap is sufficiently high to allow those things to happen, which, knowing the owners, wouldn't happen.

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2022, 12:07:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Bucks
Hawks
Heat
Celtics
Raptors
Cavs
Pacers
Bulls
Magic
Pistons

West:
Suns
Clippers
Lakers
Nuggets
Warriors
Blazers
Rockets
Spurs
Thunder
Grizzlies
Mavericks

Golden State
Brooklyn
Los Angeles C
Milwaukee
Washington
Los Angeles L
Minnesota
Boston
Dallas
Phoenix

Unless the hard cap is sufficiently high to allow those things to happen, which, knowing the owners, wouldn't happen.