Author Topic: No Game Thread  (Read 16380 times)

Re: No Game Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2022, 07:41:14 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Also, I reviewed the game thread in question.  The final offending post was posted at 11:19pm.  It was deleted, but here are the other posts in that thread:

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=106712.975

I reviewed three pages on either side of where the last All-Caps F-bomb was from.  Lots of frustrated posters, no swearing.  (EDIT:  No 13 pages total, starting on page 59 when I last posted in the thread.  No other profanity.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2022, 07:51:55 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Going backwards, here's the last post that involved profanity:

Standard dog Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again. 3rd quarter from the C's

That was on page 49.  The post that got you booted was on page 66.  So, roughly 255 posts without profanity before the All-Caps F-bomb.  I interpret that to mean that our Game Threads -- while not always positive and supportive of the team -- are not a cess pool of profanity.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2022, 09:07:54 AM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?action=profile;u=7047;area=showposts;start=15

Those are your posts.  If you go through your game thread posts, I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out.
Yeah ive gone through my posts and see nothing.. shows no game thread posts at all

Okay.  I'll highlight some for you:

F***ING CLOWNSSSSS. WHY DO WE JUST IMPLODE LIKE THIS. 3 AFTER 3 AFTER 3 AFTER 3. ITS SO STUPID

This team is so F***ING STUPID!!!

Horford cant abuse steph or klay in the post! Are you F***ING KIDDING ME?!?!

BING BANG BOOM LETS F***ING GO!!

I HAVE LITERALLY NEVER SEEN A BIGGER IDIOT THAN MARCUS F***ING SMART IN MY LIFE. WHY THE F*** ARE WE LETTING HIM p--- THIS Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again. GAME AWAY IN THE LAST 2 MINUTES

Ive never seen a bigger group of absolute f***ing idiots in my life. WHY IS SMART TAKING 5 THREES IN THE LAST 2 MINUTES????????????????

If Tatum misses another f***ing bunny im gonna lose my Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.. Thats at least 4 shots right at the rim hes missed badly

And a big F*** YOU to Draymond Green.

Oh well game 7 in miami where the refs will completely f*** us over again

JVG is a f***ing idiot. Hes just saying dumb sh*t now

In short:  you drop an F-bomb every 10 posts or so.  This blog doesn't allow swearing, and has never allowed swearing.  It also doesn't allow masked profanity, or excessive use of All-Caps.

Another member mentioned to you that you were probably kicked for swearing, which you called a "joke".

So, I'm not sure which staff member banned you from the game threads, but it was probably well-deserved.

I said what a joke because A. theres like 20 people every game thread who use all caps, mask profanity, or get the "Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again" message all thru the game threads. And B. because i never received a warning or a message about it once. Pretty unprofessional.

Not sure why I was singled out out of everyone who was upset during a crazy finals run doing the same thing I was banned for. Selective discipline

Every single game someone would say "LFG" which is masked profanity, are they receiving bans as well?

And again no message from a mod or PM explaining the situation or warning me about it at all.. Whats the deal? Am I getting the Pete Rose treatment, the Ime Udoka treatment, or is this a 15 game suspension??
This is just silly. You have no idea the amount of people who have been warned or given bans for breaking rules in game threads. There are also no posters who, from memory, have gone on such a spree of swearing and the like.

You seem to imply that you have no knowledge of the sites rules against swearing, yet you constantly masked your swears in an attempt to convey the meaning whilst avoiding the swear filter. At best, that suggests you knew that your language was unsuitable.

You ask about never having been reinstated, yet you’ve never asked to be. And instead of PMing a mod (as far as I’ve seen), you create a thread instead.

Have I got that right?
No.. I asked about it again because I received no response back in June. And I did PM a mod so now you are just assuming things. Of course I would like to be reinstated I think thats the whole point of this thread?

You are correct I dont know how many people get warnings or bans from game threads but judging by how many people were posting profanity during the playoff run I have to assume not many. I know i didnt receive a warning though and had I did I would have stopped.

And you talk about going on a spree of swearing but those posts were taken from about 10 different game threads and I guarentee if you took the time and read posts around the time of mine in those game threads you would see everyone else saying the same things when the team was playing like knuckleheads
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2022, 09:26:30 AM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • B's Up
Here's how moderating works:

1.  To take any action, the mods need to see it.  That can either be through us seeing it directly, or it being reported to us via PM or via the "report to moderator" button.  It should be obvious to everybody, but an active mod staff of three (me, Dons and goukii) plus a couple less active mods simply can't read through hundreds of posts per day, even if we're participating in the game threads or elsewhere.

2.  Once we see a violation, we determine how to address it.  We generally no longer edit posts, but we often remove them from public view.  The mods then review the poster's history, both their posts and other prior issues that have been reported.  "Discipline" can be having your post deleted on the low end, to a forum ban on the strictest level.

3.  In terms of being banned from certain boards -- namely, Game Threads and Current Events -- we've determined as a staff that a) those boards are more susceptible to hot-headed takes, and b) often, posters who are otherwise good "citizens" lose their mind.  So, we let them keep posting on the site, but restrict access.

4.  Our rules are publicly posted.  They're pretty extensive, mostly a combination of Jeff, Bob Day, and myself trying to give people as much notice as possible.  However, for those not familiar with the "entire rule book", we helpfully highlight the key rules in blue:

The Basics:
Respect each other at all times.
Keep this site family friendly.  No profanity, no sexual content, no illegal activity.
Don't be a jerk, and don't ruin CelticsBlog for others.
Have fun!
For all of the specifics, see our detailed rules below.

5.  As goukii mentioned, we generally don't publicly advertise discipline.  The argument "nobody else got suspended" is inaccurate, but we're not going to name names.

6.  Nobody is entitled to a warning.  The rules serve as that.  However, for those accidentally using profanity, an automatic "Edited for profanity, please don’t do it again" warning is generated.  In this particular instance, the user received that warning at least twice in the handful of posts that I reviewed.  Additionally, if we notice people frequently using profanity, we will often post a public warning.  The quickest way to be booted from the game thread?  Post profanity immediately following a mod's warning.  However, again, those warnings aren't a prerequisite for discipline.

7.  In most cases, somebody who has been suspended from a board can "appeal" that suspension by PMing a mod.  This has happened dozens of times, and in almost every case, we have granted the appeal.  Why?  Because the poster gives a genuine apology and promises that it won't happen again.  In the very few times we haven't granted an appeal, it's because a) the poster has a long history of discipline elsewhere on the site, b) the poster blames others and shows no contrition, and/or c) the poster blames the mod staff for his suspension.  Hint:  calling our rules a "joke" isn't going to get somebody very far.

8.  If people think we're not doing a good job, or just want to discuss why a rule is in place, this "Comments & Remarks" forum is the proper one for those discussions.  We aren't perfect, and the community works better if you feel part of the process.  So, fire away with suggestions or critiques.

I never said the rules were a joke I said the fact that I was banned without a warning and while I specifically saw multiple other posters doing the same with no punishment was a joke. Again I wasnt made aware that I was banned nor told the reason why so how am I supposed to apologize for something no one notified me of. I never attacked or blamed a mod I simply asked why was I banned.

I have never been disciplined on this board and ive been here 10+ years with no issues. Havent really gotten into it with mods or other posters here besides the normal sports debate. Never attacked anyone personally. Never received a warning about any wrong doings. So I dont understand why it went straight to a ban.

During a heated finals run did I get hot headed? Yes. But only directed at the team never another poster. Now that I am more familiar with the rules and reason for the ban I can and do apologize and would like to be reinstated with whatever stipulations the mods seem fit

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2022, 09:26:52 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As a former mod and as someone that was suspended years ago for breaking rules and banned entirely for reasons I will not get into, and as someone now here and posting in all forums, I can state unequivocally that the way to be reinstated is not this.

Contact mods. If at first they don't respond try again and again. Try another mod if you get no response. Try byennie if no mod responds. State a defense but also state you realize that you did break the rules. Apologize. Have contrition. Show real sorrow for breaking the rules. Assure the mods it won't happen again.

That's it. Do that and you most likely get reinstatement. Then make sure you live by your word and behave properly.

What you don't do:

Blame the mods
Go public.
Go with the "everyone else is doing it and not getting punished" defense.
Double down on being a jerk.

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2022, 09:39:44 AM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • B's Up
As a former mod and as someone that was suspended years ago for breaking rules and banned entirely for reasons I will not get into, and as someone now here and posting in all forums, I can state unequivocally that the way to be reinstated is not this.

Contact mods. If at first they don't respond try again and again. Try another mod if you get no response. Try byennie if no mod responds. State a defense but also state you realize that you did break the rules. Apologize. Have contrition. Show real sorrow for breaking the rules. Assure the mods it won't happen again.

That's it. Do that and you most likely get reinstatement. Then make sure you live by your word and behave properly.

What you don't do:

Blame the mods
Go public.
Never blamed the mods, simply asked again why I was banned because no explanation. How can I apologize when I wasnt told what I did wrong?
How is defending myself make me a "jerk"? I asked why I was banned because i got no answer from any mods originally. I posted this and have been repeatedly attacked and called names for asking why lol. Thats all I wanted to know

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2022, 09:46:41 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
If he wasn’t warned with a PM, let’s give him a second shot.

My curiosity is piqued at this point. Purely a social experiment. And since OP decided to open this up for public discussion as opposed to sending a PM to a mod, I'm not going to hold back at all.

The forum has rules that we all agree to. Among those rules is no profanity and no masked profanity. OP knowingly and willingly broke that rule at least a dozen times in a single thread. There's been no attempt at accountability or a display of contrition. Just a demand to be restored despite breaking the rules.

What here warrants a second chance other than the good 'ole boy mentality?

Again, this is my own curiosity.

I don’t see how “Good Ole’ Boy Mentality” is relevant here. Im going to go out on a limb and assume that the OP didn’t read through the rules and regs of the site when he joined. The swearing was a bit unnecessary, but it’s not like he was swearing at another member of the site. Seems a little harsh to ban without a warning, IMO. “Maybe the, “Edited for profanity, please don’t do it again” should read “Edited for profanity, doing so again may result in your account being banned.” That’s a clear warning.

So again... isn't that his fault? I can't go into a courtroom and claim I shouldn't be bound by a legal contract because I didn't read it before signing it. That'd be my own negligence. At what point are we expecting accountability?

And there's an inherent good 'old boy quality in the idea of "let him go without consequence because he didn't know any better even though he should have just because..." that I just struggle with.

I have to admit, this thread is informing me a lot about CS.

Where did I say that he wasn’t at fault? He certainly was. Think you are being a little extreme here considering what actually took place. Some obnoxious swearing that was not directed at a fellow poster, on a website for Celtics fans. Guess you don’t believe in giving people second chances and allowing them to learn from their mistakes. That’s too bad.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2022, 09:59:13 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Maybe the, “Edited for profanity, please don’t do it again” should read “Edited for profanity, doing so again may result in your account being banned.”

I implemented this decision.  I don't think it was necessary, but if it helps people understand the rules better, fantastic.  Words caught by the filter will display:

Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2022, 10:04:24 AM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • B's Up
Ill end it with this because this has already gone way too far and took too much time out of my night/morning.

I apologize to those who've been offended by my words while watching my beloved Celtics do the classic choke job, I was wrong for using such profanity. Im just very passionate about basketball and more importantly the Celts. Never did I think asking why I was banned would turn into me being attacked personally here but it is what it is.

Thanks to the couple of mods who took the time out to give me the reasoning behind my ban. If given the opportunity I would love to come back to the game threads with changed behavior but ultimately thats up to the mods to decide.

Go Celtics

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2022, 10:09:56 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Sure thing, Billz.  Just keep it clean and you'll be all set.

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2022, 10:11:40 AM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • B's Up
Sure thing, Billz.  Just keep it clean and you'll be all set.
Understood

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2022, 10:29:04 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I'd let Billz and others who were banned for similar stuff get second chances, but maybe the mods can make a formal post (or copy Roy's post in the 2nd page of this thread) here outlining the rules and stuff again, and the people who are reinstated are given limits on what they can screw up (only once or twice, after that it's done and you already got the fair warnings)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2022, 10:31:28 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

What you don't do:

Blame the mods
Go public.
Never blamed the mods, simply asked again why I was banned because no explanation. How can I apologize when I wasnt told what I did wrong?
How is defending myself make me a "jerk"? I asked why I was banned because i got no answer from any mods originally. I posted this and have been repeatedly attacked and called names for asking why lol. Thats all I wanted to know
Yeah, the ending wasn't specifically about you, but what anyone should not do, though you did definitely do two of those things.

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2022, 10:38:04 AM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • B's Up

What you don't do:

Blame the mods
Go public.
Yeah, the ending wasn't specifically about you, but what anyone should not do, though you did definitely do two of those things.
Gotcha, no worries

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2022, 11:13:44 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
If he wasn’t warned with a PM, let’s give him a second shot.

My curiosity is piqued at this point. Purely a social experiment. And since OP decided to open this up for public discussion as opposed to sending a PM to a mod, I'm not going to hold back at all.

The forum has rules that we all agree to. Among those rules is no profanity and no masked profanity. OP knowingly and willingly broke that rule at least a dozen times in a single thread. There's been no attempt at accountability or a display of contrition. Just a demand to be restored despite breaking the rules.

What here warrants a second chance other than the good 'ole boy mentality?

Again, this is my own curiosity.

I don’t see how “Good Ole’ Boy Mentality” is relevant here. Im going to go out on a limb and assume that the OP didn’t read through the rules and regs of the site when he joined. The swearing was a bit unnecessary, but it’s not like he was swearing at another member of the site. Seems a little harsh to ban without a warning, IMO. “Maybe the, “Edited for profanity, please don’t do it again” should read “Edited for profanity, doing so again may result in your account being banned.” That’s a clear warning.

So again... isn't that his fault? I can't go into a courtroom and claim I shouldn't be bound by a legal contract because I didn't read it before signing it. That'd be my own negligence. At what point are we expecting accountability?

And there's an inherent good 'old boy quality in the idea of "let him go without consequence because he didn't know any better even though he should have just because..." that I just struggle with.

I have to admit, this thread is informing me a lot about CS.

It’s absolutely the OP’s fault and he should own it. I think there’s a high level of discretion that moderators are able to use on these forums and I think that’s a good thing. As GS mentioned, it’s not like he swore at another poster. The profanity was unnecessary and over-the-top, there should be repercussions for that behavior, but a ban is a bit excessive, don’t you think? Wouldn’t a suspension be more fair?

In most cases, I'd agree. But this goes to my point of accountability. Instead of an earnest post seeking understanding or reaching out to a mod privately, we get this whiny, bratty, entitled post. "Kind of bogus if you ask me. Do I really need to make the move to reddit for game discussions?" What is OP owning there? Absolutely nothing.

Boston fans have gotten a crappy rep over the years that plenty of posters here have complained about being unearned. This is where it starts. There are clearly stated rules in place that OP willingly broke not once, not twice, not three times... I'm gonna call out questionable behavior when I see it and I hope others will do the same for me.

Again, OP made this a public discussion. Otherwise this would've been a DM.
So we are gonna resort to name calling now? LOL. Isnt that against the forum rules that you obviously know the ins and outs of??

As i previously stated i reached out and made an "earnest post" back in June that was ignored by all but one person who gave one suggestion.

And any1 who has ever browsed thru a reddit game thread wouldve understood that comment was sarcastic. Those reddit game threads are god awful

I don't see at all where I called you any names. I referred to the tone of your original post, and I stand by that observation. There's a difference between disagreement and being attacked.

Seems you've resolved your issue so as I said before, all's well that ends well.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman