Author Topic: Celtics Off-Season News  (Read 21144 times)

Re: Celtics Off-Season News
« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2022, 05:51:11 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Reggie Kissoonlal at C’s camp today. Played in Denmark last season and is expected to join Maine via E10.

Okay, I admit that even I’ve never heard of this guy.

20 pts and 9 rebs in 30 games in Denmark last season.  Graduated from Marion University in 2019, not drafted.  He was 6'-11" in college (as reported) now listed as 7'-0" (he is probably 6'-10").  Age 26.

What does "via E10" mean?

He looks a step slow but he is long and tall...

He was the Defensive Player of the Year in the Cyprus League, which I just learned exists.

I'd like to see him against better talent.

What, the Cyprus League isn’t good enough for you?

Nope. 8)

« Reply #121 on: October 12, 2022, 05:55:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Michael Scotto: Sources: The Boston Celtics have waived Brodric Thomas, @hoopshype has learned. Thomas appeared in 12 games for the Celtics last season.
3 mins ago – via Twitter MikeAScotto

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #122 on: October 12, 2022, 06:01:23 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
Michael Scotto: Sources: The Boston Celtics have waived Brodric Thomas, @hoopshype has learned. Thomas appeared in 12 games for the Celtics last season.

Oh, man. Gouki is going to be so happy. Brodric was bad, real bad… :-X
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2022, 06:13:08 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

I liked his garbage time minutes last year as a 2-way guy, and wasn’t surprised the C’s brought him back to camp.  But he was really disappointing this fall.  I wonder if the pressure of trying to make the roster got to him.

« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2022, 06:16:56 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I liked his garbage time minutes last year as a 2-way guy, and wasn’t surprised the C’s brought him back to camp.  But he was really disappointing this fall.  I wonder if the pressure of trying to make the roster got to him.

Yeah, it was the worst I've seen him play. He looked totally lost.

« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2022, 06:24:28 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

Yeah, it was the worst I've seen him play. He looked totally lost.
I never got the interest.
He's was a 2 guard with size that they tried to make a combo guard. His size makes that desirable, his shooting has always been subject.
Is he still eligible for Maine?

« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2022, 06:44:16 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
So we are down to Jake Layman, Justin Jackson, and Noah Vonleh? Looks like Layman will be the odd man out.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2022, 07:19:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2022, 08:01:52 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871

I thought Brodric Thomas showed promise last season and in summer league.  He did not look good in preseason.  Seemed to have regressed or at least plateaued.  At 25 years old, there are probably not a lot of options other than G-League.  Maybe someone will offer him a 2-way.  I think he is a good athlete, just not quite good enough for the NBA.  Must be tough.  Wish him the best.

« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2022, 08:33:11 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Reggie Kissoonlal at C’s camp today. Played in Denmark last season and is expected to join Maine via E10.

20 pts and 9 rebs in 30 games in Denmark last season.  Graduated from Marion University in 2019, not drafted.  He was 6'-11" in college (as reported) now listed as 7'-0" (he is probably 6'-10").  Age 26.

Exhibit 10 contract.  If you're signed to one of those, the team can get rights to send you to their G-League affiliate rather than being subjected to the G-League draft.  He'll be released today as well, in all likelihood.  Same thing we did with AJ Reeves earlier this week.

One thing I forgot about Exhibit 10s — if the player spends 60 days with the G-League team of the parent club (in this case Maine), he gets a $50k bonus.  Teams cycle through a few of these at the end of training camp to get players to their G-League teams for better looks at guys they might consider for 10-day contracts in January and February when they have an open roster spot, or for potential summer league and camp invites next year.

« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2022, 09:26:38 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871

Exhibit 10 contract.  If you're signed to one of those, the team can get rights to send you to their G-League affiliate rather than being subjected to the G-League draft.  He'll be released today as well, in all likelihood.  Same thing we did with AJ Reeves earlier this week.

One thing I forgot about Exhibit 10s — if the player spends 60 days with the G-League team of the parent club (in this case Maine), he gets a $50k bonus.  Teams cycle through a few of these at the end of training camp to get players to their G-League teams for better looks at guys they might consider for 10-day contracts in January and February when they have an open roster spot, or for potential summer league and camp invites next year.

Thanks, all good information as usual.  The G-League is working well to give teams a way to develop players.  It is still fairly rare that you get a Duncan Robinson that makes it via this path, but at least there is a path.  The Celtics seem to put a real effort into this, maybe other teams do too but I just am not aware like I am with the Celtics.  Hauser is some benefit form this process.  Others get away (Matt Ryan).  Most don't make it anyway.  But it is something.

And now, some high school kids are using the G-League.  It is good for them to have an option to regular NCAA programs.

« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2022, 04:20:42 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Adrian Wojnarowski: Forward/center Noah Vonleh has made the Boston Celtics opening night roster, sources tell ESPN. Vonleh capped his preseason with a 14 point, 13-rebound game vs. Charlotte. A former lottery pick, he played last season in China. – via Twitter wojespn

Adam Himmelsbach: According to a league source, veteran wing Justin Jackson will fill the Celtics’ final regular roster spot. – via Twitter AdamHimmelsbach

« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2022, 04:55:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Adrian Wojnarowski: Forward/center Noah Vonleh has made the Boston Celtics opening night roster, sources tell ESPN. Vonleh capped his preseason with a 14 point, 13-rebound game vs. Charlotte. A former lottery pick, he played last season in China. – via Twitter wojespn

Adam Himmelsbach: According to a league source, veteran wing Justin Jackson will fill the Celtics’ final regular roster spot. – via Twitter AdamHimmelsbach

He's played hard. He needs to work on his defensive positioning.  He seems to get lost in our switching D. I think we have good guys to work with him to get that down.

« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2022, 05:15:10 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not surprised Vonleh made the team.  a bit surprised about Jackson though

« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2022, 06:05:21 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
not surprised Vonleh made the team.  a bit surprised about Jackson though

I thought Jackson looked decent in 3 out of 4 preseason games. Feel like he did enough to earn the last spot.

First game- 9 mins of play: 5pts, 2rebs, 1ast, 3-5 from the field, 1-3 from 3pt

Second game- Bad

Third game- 23 mins of play: 16pts, 4rebs, 1ast, 6-14 from the field, 4-8 from 3pt

Fourth game- 8 mins of play: 5pts, 2rebs, 2ast, 2-3 from the field, 1-3 from 3pt.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 06:11:41 PM by Goldstar88 »