Author Topic: Anybody own a Kia...  (Read 8836 times)

Anybody own a Kia...
« on: June 28, 2022, 12:20:53 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Particularly a Kia Telluride?

How do you like it?  We're looking to buy a 3-row mid-size SUV.  We're considering Kia, Hyundai and Toyota, but the consensus seems to be the Kia is the best.  Thoughts?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Anybody own a Kia...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 12:41:48 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Not sure about Kia, but I’ve heard a lot of good things from people that own Hyundai’s. The Palisade’s look really nice, I’d definitely drive one of those. Been a big fan of the Genesis model as well for a sedan. Also, doesn’t Hyundai own Kia?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 12:43:02 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I have had multiple Toyotas and they are very good.   I have some friends who own Kia's and they are happy.    But to me, Honda and Toyota are two of the most reliable car brands out there in this type of vehicle and they have great resale    I would want a RAM if it was a truck.

I did find this
The 2022 Kia Telluride has a predicted reliability score of 85 out of 100. A J.D. Power predicted reliability score of 91-100 is considered the Best, 81-90 is Great, 70-80 is Average, and 0-69 is Fair and considered below average.

So this sounds like a good model indeed.  I looked and the Kia was slightly better than the Highlander an 85 to an 83.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 12:52:09 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 01:13:27 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
My first job was in the 80s at Toys R Us....building bicycles for customers...One day we got in this new import Bike called KIA (they moved on to build cars)---as I was trying to tighten the nuts and bolts on it, the pieces just broke off---inferior metals were used of course...I have stayed away from KIA products ever since.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 01:16:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My first job was in the 80s at Toys R Us....building bicycles for customers...One day we got in this new import Bike called KIA (they moved on to build cars)---as I was trying to tighten the nuts and bolts on it, the pieces just broke off---inferior metals were used of course...I have stayed away from KIA products ever since.

Yeah, back in the 1990s and early 2000s, Kias were garbage.  So were Hyundais.

Now, they're seemingly the best of the mid-range vehicles.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 02:39:22 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I have a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 2020. Pretty good sedan...no complaints. Generous with warranties.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 03:13:58 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
I have a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 2020. Pretty good sedan...no complaints. Generous with warranties.

I like the Sonata’s, too. Especially the new N-Line. Aren’t Kia’s just a lower grade Hyundai?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 03:15:07 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
My last 4 cars have been Honda CRV, latest a Hybrid. Very reliable. Previously owned a Honda Odyssey minivan which was great. All have been leased for 3 years so can’t speak to longevity but my only bad experience was Jeep Liberty. Always in shop. Swore I’d never own an American made car after that.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 04:05:20 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Kia's are generally pretty highly rated.  In the mini-van line they are pretty consistently 3rd behind Honda and Toyota, but also well ahead of the American versions.  I used to drive a Hyundai Santa Fe a lot for work as that is the car I most typically got as a rental when I traveled.  Haven't driven one in a while.  I currently have a 2014 Toyota Highlander (the 3 row SUV) and really don't have any complaints, though I will caution the 3rd row in the SUV's is almost always very small and you generally can't hook car seats in it, if that is your intent.  I haven't looked in a bit though so maybe that 3rd row is better in the newer SUV's.  If you want a fairly comfortable 3rd row then a mini-van is your best bet.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 07:01:10 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
My wife drives a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe. Great SUV. Excellent turning range. More luxury than you pay for.

I always thought Kia produced cheaper, less reliable cars than Hyundai. But, who knows. 2013 was 9 years ago.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 07:38:47 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
No HEllofaride  ;D

We just finished a 2500 mile vacation with a Kia Mini van rental 2021or 22  I think.  All look the same.

My first experience with even riding in Kia. And driving.  We rented to save wear on our cars , cause we were going way up north though several major US cites and staying in them over night.

Always heard awful reports , and most of that bashing was decade or more ago.  It was 1/3 the cost of a Ford Transit to rent . 

I’m use to Lexus and top of the line Toyota products. These are wellmade and quiet and will last several hundred thousand miles easy and still will resale in a few days easy.

The Kia , looked ok outside …mini van is a mini van ….but comparing it to Toyota or Honda is apples and oranges .

Yes , they put all he bells and whistles on .  Plenty of power everything , yada yada .

Pluses …..great gas mileage!  Boy was it stingy on gas . It was loaded to Gill and still got 35 mpg
The navigation system was fine , the AC worked good.  NOTHING broke and we ran the b-Jesus out of it …LOL …rental

I’m a mechanic into cars , I work on my old cars .  I’m not a dummy around autos.

If I was blind fold I would have guessed it was made in third world country.  Everything about it was cheap , rode like Jeep CJ5 or worse .  The road noise was so bad it was unbelievable for a modern auto.  It reminds me of a 1973 Ford Maverick I once drove as company car.

The rode noise and compartment air wind noise was terrible ,  the suspension sucked , it handled terrible , had ting cheap tiny under sized calipers .  The brakes made lots of noise grinding and such …..maybe the dang thing was worn out with 40k on it .  But , it got us there and never broke ….smh ……it’s what I would expect to rent in South or Central America .

The transmission was ruff sounding as a cob.  I t scared me I thought it was going to fly apart when I first got in. But , it never died …LOL

The noise from the drive train , wheels , , sounded like bearing with no grease the whole trip , again it’s been 40 years till I ve hear anything make as much noise , growns, mechanical racket as that Kia .  It was hard to hear anything in the cabin but roar of the tranny, tires , wind , suspension binding , so crude and cheap ……I’m guessing very little metal and mostly plastic is why it fell, rode , sounded awful …..it had no metal , but that maybe why it got great gas mileage.   It rode like a van with 400K on it more than one with 40K

So , I not used to that low level of quality ….sorry …I hope other model are better.

But , I WOULD rent it again …it fine for driving in major cities , where people and road are going to beat your car to death anyway.

I would never buy that junk or get one used especially.

Resale on Kia , Hyundai, Is awful ……depreciation is some of the worst ,  nobody wants a used one .

« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 07:59:37 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2022, 11:26:48 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
We've got a 2021 Kia Sorrento and my wife loves it and we have had no issues. I think all brand new cars are pretty great for the first couple years though.  Can't speak to how it will hold up over time. We test drove the Sorrento and a Mazda CX5 and definitely preferred the Sorrento.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2022, 11:26:49 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Particularly a Kia Telluride?

How do you like it?  We're looking to buy a 3-row mid-size SUV.  We're considering Kia, Hyundai and Toyota, but the consensus seems to be the Kia is the best.  Thoughts?

My parents have had two Hyundai Santa Fes and loved them.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2022, 11:30:16 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
My wife drives a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe. Great SUV. Excellent turning range. More luxury than you pay for.

I always thought Kia produced cheaper, less reliable cars than Hyundai. But, who knows. 2013 was 9 years ago.

Bought a Hyundai last year and love it.  Was between that and Kia, and don’t regret my decision for a second.

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2022, 02:31:46 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I like their new logo
The only color that matters is GREEN