Author Topic: Tom Brady Has Officially Announced His Retirement  (Read 10216 times)

Re: Tom Brady Has Officially Announced His Retirement (Or Maybe Not?)
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2022, 06:30:34 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Giselle must have given him an ultimatum. Tom’s such a fierce competitor and to go out like that after an MVP caliber season... Manning, Brees, and Rothlisberger all played until the wheels fell off. Never imagined that Tom wouldn’t do the same.

I was thinking the same thing about him not retiring until the wheels fell off. He previously said he wanted to play until he was 45—that's not until Aug. 3 of this year.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2022, 07:08:42 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Giselle must have given him an ultimatum. Tom’s such a fierce competitor and to go out like that after an MVP caliber season... Manning, Brees, and Rothlisberger all played until the wheels fell off. Never imagined that Tom wouldn’t do the same.

What kind of an ultimatum do you think it was?  Football or me?   Could be, but I doubt it.   

My bet is that they considered all factors including Gisele's point of view and decided, all things considered, the time was right. 

At 45, unfathomably wealthy, nothing really left to prove unless you have some need to show how old you can be and still play, and healthy, don't you have to think -- how freaking lucky I am to have my health after all this?  What if next year one of the inevitable hits I take is the one that punctures a lung, or shatters my shoulder, or Theisman's my shin, or concusses me into oblivion?  That compared to being home with my children experiencing their childhoods in a way very few of us could.  What a gift that he could pass up just to play another year of football.  Yes, I think Tom ultimately was on board with this being the right decision at the right time.

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2022, 07:12:29 PM »

Offline RJD1974

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 47

What kind of an ultimatum do you think it was?  Football or me?   Could be, but I doubt it.   

My bet is that they considered all factors including Gisele's point of view and decided, all things considered, the time was right. 

At 45, unfathomably wealthy, nothing really left to prove unless you have some need to show how old you can be and still play, and healthy, don't you have to think -- how freaking lucky I am to have my health after all this?  What if next year one of the inevitable hits I take is the one that punctures a lung, or shatters my shoulder, or Theisman's my shin, or concusses me into oblivion?  That compared to being home with my children experiencing their childhoods in a way very few of us could.  What a gift that he could pass up just to play another year of football.  Yes, I think Tom ultimately was on board with this being the right decision at the right time.

Also, when watching Bucs games this year, I was getting the same vibes from him that I did in '19. Like, he just seemed miserable. I'm not surprised.

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2022, 07:36:15 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Yes. She has wanted him to retire for years. Tom had mentioned multiple times in the past that he would play until his body told him that he couldn’t. He had an MVP caliber year. In September, Brady was perhaps jokingly wondering if he could play till 50. How many athletes quit when they are at the top of their game? Jordan is one, but he came back twice. Manning, Brees, Rothlisberger all played until their body’s told them they couldn’t.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 08:06:21 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2022, 01:19:17 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Yet another thing to separate him from Peyton, in retiring before being forced to.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Re: Tom Brady Has Officially Announced His Retirement
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2022, 10:15:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
He should have retired last year, gone out on top, and beating the next big thing along the way while flipping the bird to BB in the process.  Something far more poetic when the best QB ever goes out by winning the championship.  He still had a great year so it isn't like it was sad this year, but just would have been more storybook to do it last year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2022, 10:55:06 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
He should have retired last year, gone out on top, and beating the next big thing along the way while flipping the bird to BB in the process.  Something far more poetic when the best QB ever goes out by winning the championship.  He still had a great year so it isn't like it was sad this year, but just would have been more storybook to do it last year.

True. Go out being a winner, dismantle one of the best teams in the AFC in Kansas City while riding off into the sunset.

Tho I have a feeling that if they had beaten the Rams in the playoffs this year, they would've repeated. They'd grill the 49ers and give Cincinnati trouble.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2022, 08:59:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If they're healthy they repeat this year. Easy in hindsight. Going out in MVP form isn't bad
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2022, 01:43:11 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Per Brady in his "Lets Go" Podcast, sounds like he isn't completely ruling out of an NFL comeback, stating "never say never"

Well that could be interesting. He's still technically under the Bucs' roster until June but perhaps the thought of retirement might also make him feel bored a few months later.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2022, 08:42:59 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Per Brady in his "Lets Go" Podcast, sounds like he isn't completely ruling out of an NFL comeback, stating "never say never"

Well that could be interesting. He's still technically under the Bucs' roster until June but perhaps the thought of retirement might also make him feel bored a few months later.

I am hoping he joins the Patriots even if just to retire after day 1.

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2022, 09:56:35 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Glad he’s leaving the door open, slightly. Would be a great bridge QB for SF until Lance is ready... Team is built to win now and and the 49ers are who Brady watched/rooted for growing up...
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2022, 01:16:00 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Fox Sports’ deal to make Tom Brady its lead NFL game analyst after he retires is for 10 years and $375 million, The Post has learned.

It is the largest contract in sportscasting history, as it more than doubles both CBS’ Tony Romo and ESPN’s Troy Aikman in average annual salary of $18 million per season.

Holy God. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2022, 01:19:08 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Fox Sports’ deal to make Tom Brady its lead NFL game analyst after he retires is for 10 years and $375 million, The Post has learned.

It is the largest contract in sportscasting history, as it more than doubles both CBS’ Tony Romo and ESPN’s Troy Aikman in average annual salary of $18 million per season.

Holy God.

I want Tom Brady's life.

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2022, 01:20:37 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
Is he finally making more money than his wife?
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2022, 01:26:47 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Geez why Fox do this but it’s their money..but to me I don’t care who broadcast a game, I watch NFL anyhow
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin