Author Topic: Drafts after the 21st century draft?  (Read 100285 times)

Drafts after the 21st century draft?
« on: April 07, 2020, 03:25:48 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Obviously not trying to go for another draft immediately after this one (the commissioners need a rest), but I was thinking of what drafts we could hold/participate in during the summer. I'm intrigued by Nick's suggestion of an 80s/90s draft, but I'm also interested in a post shot clock/pre three point line draft (1955-1979) if there's anyone else who'd like to dig old archives of players back then to form a thought experiment. I've also heard Gouki/Who/Yoki mention a football draft, which sounds fun as well. Any suggestions on what drafts we could hold on Celticsstrong in the following months?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Re: Drafts after the 21st century draft?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 12:29:17 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Bumping this thread after the conclusion of the 21st century draft. Does an 80s/90s draft interest any of you guys?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 02:47:46 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’d love an 80’s & 90’s one. Honestly I’m champing at the bit for anything, so really not fussed what it is
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 04:26:26 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I’d love an 80’s & 90’s one. Honestly I’m champing at the bit for anything, so really not fussed what it is
I'm actually more interested in sharing notes from our respective eye tests with all those videos the NBA is putting out (that Garnett vs Duncan game in '98 was amazing) :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 05:40:53 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
What about an All-Time Celtic draft. You can only pick players that played at anytime in their career for the Boston Celtics?

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 06:07:01 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
What about an All-Time Celtic draft. You can only pick players that played at anytime in their career for the Boston Celtics?
Really concerned about the talent pool for this sort of draft - having more than 5-7 players would mean that the guys with the top picks would be almost guaranteed to win. I am interested in this format though.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 06:37:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Really concerned about the talent pool for this sort of draft - having more than 5-7 players would mean that the guys with the top picks would be almost guaranteed to win. I am interested in this format though.
I guess it depends how you dictate it, but if you’re able to pick guys peaks (regardless of whether it was on the C’s or not) it could be great fun. Then guys like Shaq, Nique, Tiny and so on become really viable picks. It could be heaps of fun, maybe with an altered serpent format so that the top picks don’t just crush it?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 07:23:27 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I guess it depends how you dictate it, but if you’re able to pick guys peaks (regardless of whether it was on the C’s or not) it could be great fun. Then guys like Shaq, Nique, Tiny and so on become really viable picks. It could be heaps of fun, maybe with an altered serpent format so that the top picks don’t just crush it?
This is what I was thinking because you end up with guys like Shaq, Tiny, Jermaine O'Neal, Paul Silas, KG, Ray Allen, Bill Walton, Bailey Howell, Kenny Anderson, Stephon Marbury, Dominique Wilkens, Xavier McDaniels, Gary Payton, Jim Paxson, Artis Gilmore and more that were all-time great to superstars to All-Stars elsewhere that would be available.

The tough part of this is there will be a talent drop off, but in any real NBA team, you have real talent drop off and how you use that lesser talent would make the game more interesting because by the time the 5th to 6th round rolls around you are taking real role players to play real role player roles.

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 07:33:54 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
+ Pistol Pete, Gary Payton, Bob McAdoo, Artis Gilmore, Billups, ISO Joe and so many others. Bill Walton obviously as well.

Personally speaking, I don't love the idea cause I know next to nothing about the 50s, the 60s and the 70s. Would much rather we focused on the modern era. But that's just me.

edit: just saw Nick's post

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 08:40:33 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Oh, and instead of different franchise names. Everybody are the Celtics, just different championship Celtic teams: 2008, 1986, 1984, 1981, 1976, 1974, etc.

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 09:27:21 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Celtics one could be fun.  Lots of greats have donned green at some point in their careers.  As long as you could pick any season from the player you could have a pretty good talent pool to work with. 

I think I proposed once, right before these took a hiatus for awhile, of doing a full league historical draft but you couldn't select anyone that was a top 5 pick in the actual draft (you could go to top 10, but that makes it a lot harder to track).  You'd probably have to count the early territorial picks in addition to the top 5.  That would eliminate a large chunk of the all time greats making the draft far more interesting especially where team building is concerned.  I mean no Russell, Wilt, Baylor, Oscar, West, Kareem, Shaq, Magic, Bird, Jordan, Hakeem, Duncan, Garnett, Lebron, Robinson, Ewing, Barkley, etc., but still a very good group of HOFers at least 3 rounds deep for everyone to choose from.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2020, 09:48:51 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
The Celtics one could be fun.  Lots of greats have donned green at some point in their careers.  As long as you could pick any season from the player you could have a pretty good talent pool to work with. 

I think I proposed once, right before these took a hiatus for awhile, of doing a full league historical draft but you couldn't select anyone that was a top 5 pick in the actual draft (you could go to top 10, but that makes it a lot harder to track).  You'd probably have to count the early territorial picks in addition to the top 5.  That would eliminate a large chunk of the all time greats making the draft far more interesting especially where team building is concerned.  I mean no Russell, Wilt, Baylor, Oscar, West, Kareem, Shaq, Magic, Bird, Jordan, Hakeem, Duncan, Garnett, Lebron, Robinson, Ewing, Barkley, etc., but still a very good group of HOFers at least 3 rounds deep for everyone to choose from.
Bird would have been available cause he got selected at #6.

What a steal by Bird Red! :)

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2020, 09:59:25 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I have no qualms on helping take the reins as Commish. 

I liked the idea of a combined eras draft where you're capped at number of guys from each particular era.  Maybe start with the 70s going forward.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2020, 10:12:18 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'd jump in on the Cs, even if I probably don't have as wide of a knowledge-base about the previous eras.

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2020, 10:24:16 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
I'd jump in on the Cs, even if I probably don't have as wide of a knowledge-base about the previous eras.
That's my concern as well.

How about an old school CB draft? 2019-2020 season only. There are at least 4 elite players in my book (LeBron-Kawhi-Giannis-Luka) + plenty of other great players.