Author Topic: Celtics (44-12) at Knicks (34-22) Game #57 2/24/24  (Read 7890 times)

Celtics (44-12) at Knicks (34-22) Game #57 2/24/24
« on: February 23, 2024, 10:09:22 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (44-12) at New York Knicks (34-22)
Saturday,  February 24, 2024
8:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #57 – Road Game #28
TV: ABC
Radio: Rock 92.9,  ESPN NY 98.7
Madison Square Garden

Probable Starters

PG: Jrue Holiday     ...................................... SG: Derrick White

C:  Kristaps Porzingis

SF:  Jaylen Brown   ............................................ PF: Jayson Tatum

Celtics Reserves
Oshae Brissett
Sam Hauser
Al Horford
Luke Kornet
Svi Mykhailiuk
Payton Pritchard
Jordan Walsh
Xavier Tillman
Jaden Springer

2 Way Players
JD Davison
Drew Peterson
Neemias Queta

Injuries/Out
None

Head Coach
Joe Mazzulla

Probable Knicks Starters

PG:  Jalen Brunson ....................................................... SG:   Donte DiVincenzo

C:  Isaiah Hartenstein

SF:  Josh Hart  ........................................................ PF:  Precious Achiuwa

Knicks Reserves
Miles McBride
Alec Burks
Daquan Jeffries
Bojan Bogdanovic
Jericho Sims
Jacob Toppin

2 Way Players
Duane Washington, Jr
Charlie Brown, Jr

Injuries/Out
OG Anunoby (elbow) out
Mitchell Robinson (ankle)  out
Julius Randle (shoulder)  out

Head Coach
Tom Thibodeau

Game Notes
The Celtics look for their 8th straight win as they visit the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden.  This is the 4th of 5 games between these two teams this season.  The Celtics are 3-0 so far, winning 108-104 in New York on 10/25, 114-98 in Boston on 11/13, and 133-123 in Boston on 12/18.  They have one more game after this one on April 11.   

The Celtics remain first in the East, 7.5 games ahead of 2nd place Cleveland, 9 games ahead of 3rd place Milwaukee, 10 games ahead of 4th place New York, 11 games ahead of 5th place Philadelphia, and 12.5 games ahead of 6th place Indiana.  They are 18-9 on the road and 9-1 in their last 10 games.  They are 31-6 against Eastern Conference teams and 13-1 against Atlantic Division teams.  They have won their last 7 games. (Milwaukee is still playing as I write this).

The Knicks are 4th in the East, 10 games behind 1st place Boston, 2.5 games behind 2nd place Cleveland, and 1 game behind 3rd place Milwaukee.  They are 1 games ahead of 5th place Philadelphia, 2.5 games ahead of 6th place Indiana and 3 games ahead of 7th place Orlando and having to compete in the play in games.  They are 19-8 at hom and 5-5 in their last 10 games.  They are 23-12 against the Eastern Conference and 7-3 against the Atlantic Division.  They are coming off a win in their last game.

The Celtics are playing in their second straight game on the road. They beat the Bulls at Chicago 129-112 on Thursday.  After this game, they will head home for 3 straight games at TD Garden against Philadelphia, Dallas, and Golden State.  After that,  they have a 5 game road trip through Cleveland, Denver, Phoenix, Portland and Utah. 

The Knicks are coming off a 1-2 road trip and are playing in the first of a 4 game home stand.  After this game, they will play Detroit and New Orleans back to back on Monday and Tuesday and then Golden State.   Next they play at Cleveland before returning home for 4 more, hosting Atlanta, Orlando and 2 games against Philadelphia. 

The Celtics have no one on the injury list at this time.  For the Knicks, OG Anunoby is out after having right elbow surgery on February 8.  Mitchell Robinson has missed the Knicks' last 34 games after undergoing left ankle surgery and will miss this game as well.  Julius Randle has been out since he injured his shoulder Jan. 27 and will be out for this game as well.

Key Matchups

vs
Jrue Holiday vs Jalen Brunson
Brunson is averaging 27.5 points, 3.8 rebound,  and 6.6 assists per game.   He is shooting 47.9% from the field and 40.6% from beyond the arc.   Against the Celtics this season he averaged 21.3 points, 2.3 rebounds, 4.7 assists and 1.7 steals.  He shoots a high percentage from 3 and so the Celtics have to defend him well on the perimeter.

vs
Sam Hauser vs Bojan Bogdanovic
The Knicks brought Bojan Bogdanovic over from Detroit at the deadline and he will add another sharpshooter to their team.  He is averaging 19.8 points, 3.3 rebounds, and 2.3 assists per game.  He is shooting 47.1% from the field and 42.4% from beyond the arc for the season.  Against the Celtics this season, he is averaging 17 points, 12 rebounds, and 6 assists per game.  He will likely come off the bench for the Knicks and so the Celtics will need their second unit to keep him off the 3 point line and off the boards. 

Honorable Mention
Derrick White vs Donte DiVincenzo
DiVincenzo is averaging 13.7 points, 3.3 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.2 steals per game.  He is shooting 45.6% from the field and 41.4% from beyond the arc.  He has struggled against the Celtics this season averaging only 3.7 points, 2.7 rebounds and 1.7 assists per game while shooting just 25% from the field and 25% from beyond the arc. 

Keys to the Game
Defense -  Defense is the key to winning every game.  The Knicks average 114.4 points per game (17th) while the Celtics average 120.8 points per game (5th).  The Celtics have a defensive rating of 110.6 (2nd) while the Knicks have a defensive rating of 112.8 (7th).  Both teams want to be defensive minded but both teams forget their defensive identity from time to time.  The Celtics have got to make defense a priority and play tougher team defense than the Knicks if they hope to get a win in this game.

Rebound - The Celtics can't score if they don't have the ball, and the best way to get the ball is to grab rebounds.   The Celtics need to rebound as a team with every Celtic battling on the boards.  It will take a team effort to beat the Knicks, who are 4th in the league in rebounding with 45.8 per game.  The Celtics are 1st with 47.1 rebounds per game but tend to get lazy against physical teams that fight for rebounds.  The Knicks are tied for first with 16.6 second chance points per game and so the Celtics need to crash the boards to prevent giving the Knicks extra points in this game. 

Move the Ball Carefully - The Celtics need to move the ball and find teammates for the best shots available.  They play their best when the ball is moving and they are finding the open man.   They struggle when the ball sticks and players try to do too much and play iso ball.  However, they need to make careful passes because the Knicks average 16.5 points off turnovers per game and if the Celtics get sloppy, they will make them  pay. 

Be Aggressive - The Celtics need to be the more aggressive team. They have to be more aggressive in going after loose balls, in grabbing rebounds, in defending, and in going to the basket.  They need to hustle and be aggressive for 48 minutes every game but especially against the Knicks because Thibs has them playing hard every game.  They can win a lot of games by playing harder than their opponents and they can lose a lot of games by allowing their opponents to be the team that plays harder. 

Play All Out 48 Minutes - The Knicks are playing without key players and too often the Celtics play with less than 100% effort when facing a team weakened by injuries.  They can't afford to do that if they want to win this game.  They have to play hard from the opening tip until the final buzzer and not allow the Knicks to out-work them for any stretch during the game. 

X-Factors
On the Road Again - The Celtics are playing their 2nd straight game on the road.  They need to overcome the distractions of playing on the road and in front of a hostile crowd and stay focused on playing the right way.  Even in just their 2nd straight road game, teams can get road weary and the Celtics have to fight against that by staying focused on playing hard and getting a win. 

Officiating - Officiating always has the potential to be an x-factor.   Each officiating crew calls the game differently.  Some refs call it tight and constantly call fouls while others let them play with few fouls called.  The Celtics need to adjust to how the refs are calling the game and not allow bad calls or no calls to take away their focus. 

Re: Celtics (44-12) at Knicks (34-22) Game #57 2/24/24
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 10:17:18 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807
Let's go Cs and make it 8 in a row.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2024, 10:18:08 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to     Silas   for being the first to post in the game thread!!!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!!!

Beat the Knicks!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2024, 11:05:22 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Celtics - Knicks in the primetime Saturday night ABC game !!
I remember when the Knicks were as hated as the Sixers and Lakers.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2024, 07:51:09 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Have some friends going to the game (mix of Celtics fans living in NYC currently and actual Knicks fans lol) and they are pumped. They did shell out over $300 for tickets too (since it's a primetime game at MSG of course), but the Knicks friends also think this could be the ECF matchup. I agree IF New York ends up the 2 or 3 seed and that's how the bracket shapes out, this could be the ECF this season
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2024, 08:51:11 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I think we see a statement game tonight from Boston.

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2024, 09:41:48 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
No OG and no Randle. Last time two top opposing players were out, Cs played down and lost. Brunson probably goes for 40 and Bojan 6-8 from three, but hope we crush them.

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2024, 09:49:28 AM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
No OG and no Randle. Last time two top opposing players were out, Cs played down and lost. Brunson probably goes for 40 and Bojan 6-8 from three, but hope we crush them.

This is one of those games where we'll know by the end of the first quarter if we're winning or not.

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2024, 12:15:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

This is one of those games where we'll know by the end of the first quarter if we're winning or not.

Exactly ….i usually can tell with in 8 minutes minutes if it’s worth watching .  Celtics luv giving away charity games to the under manned team .  Bucks doing same at Grizzlies before break.

I would just start the second string and bring the energy to match their secondary players , our stars appear bored and disinterested from the start.

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2024, 12:19:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Apparently the C's have 3 weekends in a row with ABC games on Saturday or Sunday. Ugh.

I don't mind one here or there but 3 in a row??
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2024, 01:27:59 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Knicks are banged up. Let’s destroy them.

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2024, 01:41:18 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
No Randle or OG so should get a W
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2024, 02:12:38 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Apparently the C's have 3 weekends in a row with ABC games on Saturday or Sunday. Ugh.

I don't mind one here or there but 3 in a row??

The people who call the national games make me want to put a knitting needle in my ear.  I guess I'll just watch with the sound down and listen to music. You guys will keep me posted if I miss anything.

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2024, 02:16:28 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 249
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
would like to see more Tillman today,

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2024, 02:18:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
would like to see more Tillman today,

Me too! I'm hoping for a massive blowout. Because it's a national game I'm sure the refs will try to keep it close.