Author Topic: Celtics (10-9) at Mavericks (8-9) Game #20 11/24/18  (Read 27353 times)

Celtics (10-9) at Mavericks (8-9) Game #20 11/24/18
« on: November 24, 2018, 02:15:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
at
Boston Celtics (15-2) at Dallas Mavericks (3-14)
Saturday, November 24, 2018
8:30 PM EST
Regular Season Game #20 – Road Game #12
TV: NBCSB, FSSW-DAL, NBA-LP 763(DTV)/ 758(xfinity)
Radio: 98.5 The Sports Hub, 103.3 FM ESPN
American Airlines Center

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard

vs
Kyrie Irving vs Dennis Smith, Jr.

Shooting Guard
vs
Jaylen Brown vs Wesley Matthews

Small Forward

vs
Jayson Tatum vs Harrison Barnes

Power Forward

vs
Al Horford vs Luka Doncic

Center

vs
Aron Baynes vs DeAndre Jordan

Celtics Reserves
Semi Ojeleye
Daniel Theis
Guerschon Yabusele
Marcus Smart
Marcus Morris
Brad Wanamaker
Robert Williams

Injuries
Jabari Bird
Gordon Hayward
Terry Rozier ( questionable)

Two Way Players
Walt Lemon, Jr.
P. J. Dozier

Head Coach
Brad Stevens

Mavs Reserves
JJ Barea
Ryan Broekhoff
Salah Mejiri
Jalen Brunson
Dorian Finney-Smith
Devin Harris
Maximilian Kleber
Ray Spaulding

Injuries
Dwight Powell
Dirk Nowitzki
Dennis Smith, Jr. (questionable)
Wesley Matthews (questionable)

Two Way Players
Kostas Antetokuonmpo
Daryl Macon

Head Coach

Rick Carlisle

Game Notes
The Celtics continue their 3 game road trip with a visit to the Dallas Mavericks after Boston's best effort in several games in a 114-96 win in Atlanta last night. The Celtics are playing in their fifth back to back set of games in and are 2-2 in the 2nd game of a back to back. Dallas, who has not played since a 119-113 win over the Nets on Wednesday night, should be well rested. The Mavericks have played some great ball lately turning around a slow 2-7 start of the season by winning 6 of the last 8 games, including impressive wins against Golden State, Oklahoma City and a 50 point win versus Utah.

Dallas' recent success has been led by their rookie sensation, Luka Doncic, who leads the team in scoring with 19.2 per game. Doncic is in the top five up and down the list of rookie stats: scoring(1st), rebounds(3rd), assists(2nd), steals(5th), PER(2nd), 3FG%(4th), minutes per game(1st), and double doubles(5th). Also have their regular productive seasons with both averaging a little over 16 a game. Another large part of Dallas' success this year has been the addition of free-agent, defensive anchor, rebounding monster, DeAndre Jordan. Jordan is third in the league in rebounds per game at 13.6 per game and adds his usually efficient 11.2 points per game. And to his credit, Jordan has finally improved his free throw game so that opposing teams can play hack-a-Jordan. He has a FT% of 80.3% while shooting 3.9 free throws per game.

The Mavericks rank in the middle of NBA in most offensive team stats. They are a good defensive team with the 9th best defensive rating in the league add are efficient shooters with an eFG% 8th in the league and TS% that is 5th in the league. Dallas is undone though by their inability to take care of the ball as they give up the 2nd most turnovers in the league. The Mavs, of course with DeAndre Jordan, is one of the best teams in the league in defending the paint, which means, expect a lot of three pointers by Boston tonight. The Mavericks starting backcourt are both listed as questionable and if either or both miss the game, that will be a blowout to Dallas' chances of success.

Boston is going to have to have another good scoring 1st quarter and evade the slow start that has plagued them most of the year. They will need to continue their aggressiveness to take it to the hole, move the ball, create the open shot and actually hit those shots, building on the way they started off the game against Atlanta. With Barnes and Doncic as wings for Dallas, Horford will most likely be guarding the slower and less quick Doncic and will need to limit him offensively, which will be the key to the game. Boston has to not let another player have a huge game against them as this has been their undoing in many of their losses this year. Doncic is quite capable to be that player so Horford and Morris will need to be at their best defensively and make Doncic work on the other side of the ball. A fun matchup will be at PG as Kyrie will take on 2nd year guard, Dennis Smith, Jr. Smith isn't a very good defender and Kyrie should be once again able to continue his amazing month that he has had. Here's hoping the defense can cause a ton of turnovers and create some easy points on the break, which would go a long way to continue a Boston bounce back from early season struggles.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 04:33:04 PM by nickagneta »

Re: Celtics (10-9) at Mavericks (8-9) Game #20 11/24/18
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 04:00:28 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
2 in a row!!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 04:01:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
TP to otherdave for being the first to post in the game thread.

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 04:09:12 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
No Hayward, maybe no Rozier tonight. Should be interesting.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 04:16:56 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I cant wait for this game. I actually haven't see Luka play live yet this season. Hopefully I come away unimpressed if you know what I mean.

Go Celtics!
#JKJB

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 04:23:25 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Wow, Harrison Barnes looks a lot like Tatum in that first post  ;D

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 04:25:12 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

It's sad to say but I'm more confident in the Celtics with a player or two out right now. If they win tonight then that means their record will be 4-1 when one of the original starting five misses a game.  In a way I think it gives Brad more lineup flexibility without the concern of frustrating a core rotation player.

By no means am I saying this is good for the team long term.  I just wouldn't be surprised if the team plays with more confidence and assertiveness.

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 04:33:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Wow, Harrison Barnes looks a lot like Tatum in that first post  ;D
Lol, thanks for catching that. TP.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 05:17:44 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
another game thread means another celtics win!!!! thanks nick and a tp for your good work.

frist page as well!!!  ;D

celtics will once again play with intensity, attack the basket, play great defense, and walk away with a big, big win.

goooooooooooooooooooooo celtics!!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 05:19:00 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

It's sad to say but I'm more confident in the Celtics with a player or two out right now. If they win tonight then that means their record will be 4-1 when one of the original starting five misses a game.  In a way I think it gives Brad more lineup flexibility without the concern of frustrating a core rotation player.

By no means am I saying this is good for the team long term.  I just wouldn't be surprised if the team plays with more confidence and assertiveness.
I think it WILL help in the long term.

We won't need motivation once the playoffs start, but now? We badly need a jolt to get back on track.

These minor injuries will help the roster crunch and provide more PT to guys who need it, while giving precautionary rest to anyone who is even slightly banged-up. It also protects those players against worse injuries because guys won't need to favor a sore knee or ankle etc, which can throw their gait off and cause other problems.

Psychologically being shorthanded will be good for the team, reminding guys they need to fight every night to win. It also gives them more experience playing alongside different lineups and players.

In the long run a little adversity should supply with team with more confidence, growth, and long-term health.

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 05:30:33 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Who’s ready for doncic dropping 40?

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 05:35:22 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

If we beat Dallas handily I wonder how long before someone says "wow we thrashed Dallas without Hayward I guess Hayward is the problem"  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 05:47:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I ll take a win ,  ,  long as they win ,  i don't care if the water boy plays

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 05:50:56 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 05:51:40 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Great, I will catch a plane to Dallas now and suit up.  ;D

Watch for me.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva