Author Topic: Recent Zach Lowe trade proposal  (Read 7637 times)

Re: Recent Zach Lowe trade proposal
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 11:13:34 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1773
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Love makes about 3X what Crowder makes and I am not sure he would be more effective (on both sides of the ball) than Crowder. I am sure I am just being a homer here and this is probably one of those deals you are supposed to cash in on, but I hate the idea of trading Crowder at all. I pretty much think he should be our next captain.

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 11:15:40 AM »

Offline GryphMinuteMan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
Love makes about 3X what Crowder makes and I am not sure he would be more effective (on both sides of the ball) than Crowder. I am sure I am just being a homer here and this is probably one of those deals you are supposed to cash in on, but I hate the idea of trading Crowder at all. I pretty much think he should be our next captain.

I'm starting to change my mind. I'm not sure I would trade Crowder for Love straight up either. I would rather trade Smart than Crowder honestly.

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 11:16:51 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I been saying Crowder as a key piece for Love for a while so I see it as the right move. Even had a poll....

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 11:17:53 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
There are quite a few players I'd look to include before Crowder, and surely there must be some combo I would let go first that Cle would take.

I would think they'd want Olynyk before Crowder if giving up Love, even if taking Lee.   Add a lotto protected first, and call it a deal, or do they bold out for Smart or Bradley?

That's how I think a Love negotiation would start out. We end up giving up multiple young players and pick sweeteners for a star. KO, Smart, mid-late 1st, veteran player/cap relief in Lee.

Then maybe we can still make a decent offer with the higher picks and other players?

No doubt we could help Cleveland this year in a Love trade.

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 11:40:09 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
This trade is highly intriguing and has me stumped. I have no idea if I should say aye or nay.

Unlike many people, I definitely remember the type of player Kevin Love is when he's a first/second option. The talent is definitely there and higher than Jae's.

That being said, is there a real value placed on Jae's leadership intangibles and obvious defense that Boston would sorely miss?

In the end, Danny has always sought character over talent if it's a toss-up decision (passing on AI trade). Probably won't happen unless Cleveland is just absolutely desperate to get rid of Love without getting Jae or Smart in the deal.

The premise of Lowe's trade proposal was their need for a wing&post defender for Draymond, which is why Avery and Marcus would probably be out of their needs. That being said, I wonder if they're willing to take any combination of Jerebko + Turner + Filler + Any future pick for Love? Jerebko and Turner have proven to be pretty good small ball defenders.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 11:52:45 AM by coffee425 »
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 11:53:47 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Crowder seems like the perfect complement to Love. I would want to pursue any number of alternative trade proposals to including Crowder in a deal.

And if Love truly is available, it means CLE is feeling pressure to make a move. I said it elsewhere: I don't see Ainge blinking first.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 12:02:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
It's an interesting proposal but I still don't get why Love being traded is being discussed. They just singed him to a 5 year deal. Is it really that bad for Cleveland right now that they would give up on him? I love Crowder but if you can get Love for him and a non Brooklyn 2016 pick you probably have to do it. I wouldn't do it for Crowder and the Brooklyn pick though.
Exactly, and these trade proposals are pretty nonsensical.  Love is a top tier player, in his prime, signed long term.  The value he would yield in a trade is pretty significant.  Crowder is not pretty significant and neither are the 1sts Boston has unless it the 2006 BKN pick (which would be silly at this point though may make some sense in the summer).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 12:21:20 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4595
Crowder is basically James Posey 2.0.

He can put up pretty good stats if he's one of your top 2 players (see Posey's half season in Denver and first season in Memphis), but even if he's not one of your top players he'll always be a key contributor, especially to a championship caliber team (like Posey was for '06 Miami and '08 Boston) due to his hustle, defense, effectiveness without the ball, and ability to play multiple positions and play in just about every lineup (1st unit, 2nd unit, small ball, defensive, shooters, etc.).

Unfortunately, what we're seeing now I think pretty much Crowder's ceiling or at least close to it.

If you can get Love with Crowder as the main piece (and not combined with a Brooklyn pick) then this would be probably one of the best examples of buying low, selling high.

And the beauty of it is, if the C's were to trade Crowder, while we'd all miss him if he went to Cleveland (or any contender), his numbers are going to take a huge hit.  He probably wont even break double digit points (again like Posey).  He'll be a 4th/5th/6th man and average 7-10ppg, 4-5rpg, 1spg.  It's not like you'll trade him away and he'll turn into an All-NBA first team player and make you really regret the trade for years to come (like Tractor Traylor for Dirk, Vlade for Kobe, or Polynice for Pippen).

I love Crowder, but you got to sell high if the opportunity arises.  This would definitely be selling high.  Also can't be scared to break up a .500ish team.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 02:22:35 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 12:33:15 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I see where your comparison comes from here and don't disagree.  I would really have agreed going into this season.  However Crowder has been showing a lot more offensive improvement than I ever expected out of him.  He works hard and has enough fire that I think saying he is at his ceiling right now is just not accurate given the growth we have seen this year.  He could be, yes.  But I would not bet on it given how this year played out.

I say that as someone who has been won over by Crowder.  I have been doubting him for a while, even as his offense started to grow this year.  I value defense more than most and I still think people are crazy for saying he's our MVP over IT or the best player we have.  But I have seen enough growth from him this year to be really impressed.  I think if he can consistently start driving to the basket and keep the jump shot rolling, he could be a pretty big time player.

If it was Crowder for Love straight up I mean that makes sense.  It would be more though and I would rather keep assets for another trade.   Plus the fact that Crowder, if he does grow, will be on a STEAL contract.  He does have Jimmy Butler potential to me.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 12:38:40 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 12:46:07 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

He can put up pretty good stats if he's one of your top 2 players (see Posey's half season in Denver and first season in Memphis), but even if he's not one of your top players he'll always be a key contributor, especially to a championship caliber team (like Posey was for '06 Miami and '08 Boston), due to his hustle, defense, effectiveness without the ball, and ability to play multiple positions and play in just about every lineup (1st unit, 2nd unit, small ball, defensive, shooters, etc.).

Unfortunately, what we're seeing now I think pretty much Crowder's ceiling or at least close to it.

If you can get Love with Crowder as the main piece (and not combined with a Brooklyn pick) then this would be probably one of the best examples of buying low, selling high.

And the beauty of it is, if the C's were to trade Crowder, while we'd all miss him, if he went to Cleveland (or any contender) his numbers are going to take a huge hit.  He probably wont even break double digit points (again like Posey).  He'll be a 4th/5th/6th man and average 7-10ppg, 4-5rpg, 1spg.  It's not like you'll trade him away and he'll turn into an All-NBA first team player and make you really regret the trade for years to come (like Tractor Traylor for Dirk, Vlade for Kobe, or Polynice for Pippen).

I love Crowder, but you got to sell how if the opportunity arises.  This would definitely be selling high.  Also can't be scared to break up a .500ish team.

Couldn't agree more.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 12:48:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think it makes sense for the Celts to trade a bunch of picks and Crowder for Kevin Love.

Not that the Celts shouldn't consider giving up Crowder to get a star.  But I don't think Kevin Love is the star the Celts are looking for.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 12:53:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If we followed it up by trading some excess power forwards for a SF like Gallo, I guess it would make sense.  But then I think we'd have to include Amir's contract to get Gallo... So then we'd need a defensive center.  So we should follow up the gallo trade by moving Marcus smart for Nerlens Noel.

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 12:54:17 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
the only concern I would have with trading Crowder for Love is what would be the C's plan for the SF slot on team afterwards.  I don't want Turner as our primary SF, Jerebko is not close to starter material and nevermind Young.

if they work out something where we end up with someone serviceable at SF afterwards, swell.  Also, there should be a follow up move right afterward to thin out the PF position since Love will eat most of the minutes.

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 01:06:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If we followed it up by trading some excess power forwards for a SF like Gallo, I guess it would make sense.  But then I think we'd have to include Amir's contract to get Gallo... So then we'd need a defensive center.  So we should follow up the gallo trade by moving Marcus smart for Nerlens Noel.

You could not have Kevin Love and Gallo in the same lineup.  That's the NBA equivalent of wearing a "kick me" sign on your back.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 01:18:32 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
I think we'd actually be a lot worse this year if we traded Crowder for Love, which would leave us with only Turner and Smart to defend wings.

We'd be betting the farm on Crowder being at his peak and Love still having a lot more ability than he' showing.

I think a straight swap of Crowder + Lee for Love + filler is a fair deal (which sounds crazy, but Crowder is probably our most valuable player asset right now).

I guess I'd throw in the Dallas pick too since we have way too many mid-firsts anyway. Obviously not giving them any Brooklyn picks.

Great words from a great man