Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft Finals: Minnesota(1) vs Cleveland(3)  (Read 187312 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft Finals: Minnesota(1) vs Cleveland(3)
« Reply #240 on: September 14, 2013, 10:54:02 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Congrats to McHP on the title, especially in his first go-around.

The HCA tiebreaker might sting a bit, but I'm still very proud of what I was able to do. Looking forward to participating again next year.

« Reply #241 on: September 14, 2013, 11:17:28 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm still very proud of what I was able to do. Looking forward to participating again next year.

Congrats, AB.  For whatever it's worth, I consider you to be co-champion this year.  Excellent job building your team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #242 on: September 14, 2013, 12:43:09 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
Same for me...a tie is a tie. Job well done, sirs.
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #243 on: September 14, 2013, 01:12:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Same for me...a tie is a tie. Job well done, sirs.

Very magnanimous, MP.  Congrats to you, too.  Even though I didn't love parts of your team, having Lebron + a fantastic team defense goes a long way.  And, you did the impossible:  you got Monta Ellis a ring.

Since the rules are a little ambiguous about ties in the Finals (i.e., the rules only talk about tie-breakers for teams to "advance"), and based upon input from the rest of the Mod Staff, I propose we officially crown you both Co-Champions.

I think there's a lot of wisdom in acknowledging that there doesn't have to be an Ultimate Champion, when both teams excelled through some very tough playoff opponents.  It's the ultimate recognition of the parity we had this year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #244 on: September 14, 2013, 01:48:29 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Personally, I think the idea of co champs is a little ridiculous and I like the AB brothers, but McH put together a team that earned HCA, it would never have dawned on me that the word " advance" would exclude a team from winning a championship, nor do I think it should. McHP put together a team that won by the rules we have, if we want to talk about it for next year, that's cool. But the TWolves advanced to from the Finals to the Trophy podium.

« Reply #245 on: September 14, 2013, 02:09:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Personally, I think the idea of co champs is a little ridiculous and I like the AB brothers, but McH put together a team that earned HCA, it would never have dawned on me that the word " advance" would exclude a team from winning a championship, nor do I think it should. McHP put together a team that won by the rules we have, if we want to talk about it for next year, that's cool. But the TWolves advanced to from the Finals to the Trophy podium.

I suggested it because MP called it a tie.  If he's fine with co-champions, why shouldn't anybody else be?

I think that losing the CB Draft based upon a technicality has got to be a huge stomach punch.  If all of those involved are fine with co-champions, then I think that's cool.

« Reply #246 on: September 14, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I agree

I mean, it seems a little unfair to change the rules after the fact based on a perceived ambiguity, real or imagined.  I can't imagine anyone participating didn't realize a tie in the Finals would be broken in the same manner as other rounds.

Someone had to win, and I can't think of a better way to break the tie (suggestions???).  The end result, while brutal for the Cavs, seems fair.

But I don't make or enforce the rules, so whoever does, do as you please.  If I don't like the changes, I just will simply not play again.  No hard feelings.

« Reply #247 on: September 14, 2013, 02:11:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I mean, it seems a little unfair to change the rules after the fact based on a perceived ambiguity, real or imagined.

The rules aren't clear about what happens for a tie-breaker in the Finals, and it's not really "unfair" since MP agrees with the result.

I mean, it's an internet contest.  After weeks of often vigorous debate, the two top teams got the same number of votes.  Head-2-head, it was a tie.

Early in the playoffs, it's necessary for a team to "advance".  Here, it's not.  Co-Champions makes sense.

« Reply #248 on: September 14, 2013, 02:15:45 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I agree - advance doesn't seem ambiguous at all, it refers to winning the series.  I think it's really cool that we had a tie in the voting, and it reflected how closely matched the series was, but fudging the rules at the last second doesn't seem appropriate.  And that's speaking as someone who voted for Cleveland.

Also, I might be a little confused, but I was under the impression that the commissioner was in charge of interpreting and applying the rules of the draft, not the moderating staff.  Maybe the mods have some kind of veto power? 

« Reply #249 on: September 14, 2013, 02:17:01 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I mean, it seems a little unfair to change the rules after the fact based on a perceived ambiguity, real or imagined.

The rules aren't clear about what happens for a tie-breaker in the Finals, and it's not really "unfair" since MP agrees with the result.

Maybe, but who wants to be the winner who wasn't gracious?  Kind of puts him a tough spot.

I see no such ambiguity in the rules.  "Advancing" in this context is tantamount to "winning".

« Reply #250 on: September 14, 2013, 02:17:25 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Someone had to win, and I can't think of a better way to break the tie (suggestions???).  The end result, while brutal for the Cavs, seems fair.

Number of posts in the finals thread? ;)

Kidding of course. I'm perfectly okay getting to call myself the EC champ. If the mods do want to change things, I won't stop them, but I'm fine where I am.

« Reply #251 on: September 14, 2013, 02:18:50 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

The rules aren't clear about what happens for a tie-breaker in the Finals

It's really only unclear if you work at making it unclear.

« Reply #252 on: September 14, 2013, 02:22:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I declared Minnesota the winner because I understood that HCA was the deciding factor in all ties in the playoffs. So I believe according to the rules in place, Minnesota won.

That being said, if MP wants to share his trophy and the people who makes the rules want to declare co-champions based on MP's suggestion to share the title, I have no problem with that. I find it to be quite a magnanimous gesture on the part of MP and should be applauded.

TP for MP for even saying it and give the man more TP's for actually meaning it. That is pretty dang cool, IMHO!!!! I think that type of sportsmanship should be commended.

« Reply #253 on: September 14, 2013, 02:22:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Also, I might be a little confused, but I was under the impression that the commissioner was in charge of interpreting and applying the rules of the draft, not the moderating staff.  Maybe the mods have some kind of veto power?

The mods do indeed have veto power, but it would never be exercised in a situation like this.  Rather, tis was advanced as a suggestion, based upon what MP said.  It's not a directive, just what I think is a nice idea based upon MP being gracious.

« Reply #254 on: September 14, 2013, 02:24:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
TP for MP for even saying it and give the man more TP's for actually meaning it. That is pretty dang cool, IMHO!!!! I think that type of sportsmanship should be commended.

I definitely agree with that.  There would be no shame in saying "I won, and congrats to my runner-up".  To announce that a tie is a tie is extraordinarily gracious, and probably not something many of us over-competitive souls would have done.