Author Topic: Chad Ford: "I'd be shocked if Celtics didn't get something done."  (Read 24698 times)

Re: Chad Ford: "I'd be shocked if Celtics didn't get something done."
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 09:15:58 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Why trade an All Star for a 'youngish big' when we already have one stashed away whose dropping 14 block trip-dubs for the Claws?  Said it before, will say it again.

Fab Melo is for real. 

He's on the Steamer plan, just like Sully's on the Baby/Powe plan.  Danny & Doc are just sticking to their winning formulas.

thats the plan.
melo could be huge in the future and he is exactly the right kind of big to pair with sully in the future.

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 09:16:37 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Crazy blockbuster idea with Memphis...

Memphis trades:  Conley, Gay, Gasol
Boston trades:  Rondo, Bradley, Green, Melo

Boston would become:
Conley/Terry
Gay/Lee
Pierce/Gay
KG/Bass
Gasol/Sullinger

I'd do this in a second.  That is a fantastic defensive starting 5 with a ton of offensive punch.

Memphis gives up a lot, but they aren't getting anywhere near as good of a player back for Gay as Rondo from any other team and they also get Bradley who I assume has to be considered a hugely valuable piece around the league.

Two things. First Memphis laughs you out of the building on that offer. They would only consider doing it if they were bombing and wanted to go into rebuild mode.

Second if you check salaries that trade has Memphis sending out ~$38M and the C's sending out ~$22M.

Other than those things I'd love to have Memphis's team with Pierce/KG/Terry and Sully =)))

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 09:21:09 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Brandon Bass is a goner, that's all I know. With the emergance of Sullinger Bass is the odd man out seemingly.
i concur.
however to get what we need back we will need to give up another player.
i'd rather that be terry than: sully for obvious reasons, melo, because he could fabulous or lee because paired with bradley the c's perimeter D is the best in the league (imho).
so bass and terry gets us...?
probably not the young athletic impact big we're hoping for.

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 09:32:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Brandon Bass is a goner, that's all I know. With the emergance of Sullinger Bass is the odd man out seemingly.
i concur.
i'd rather that be terry than: sully for obvious reasons, melo, because he could fabulous or lee because paired with bradley the c's perimeter D is the best in the league (imho).
I think Terry will rpove his worth in the stretch run for a playoff seeding and during the playoffs.

Honestly, I hope Melo RIPS up the D-League and combined with Bass nets us the starting big we so desperately need. I hope Melo increases his value  by dominating the NBDL because I don't think he has much of an NBA future.

Why? Because my son goes to Syracuse and is close with people in the basketball program. They say Melo had to leave school because he was flunking out. He says Melo is pretty limited mentally speaking. He says Melo had a hard time grasping Boeheim's simplistic basketball schemes and plays.

Chances are he'll never get NBA basketball and succeed at the level some think by simply reading his D-League stat lines.

So combined with Bass and Barbosa the Celtics could get a big with a salary in the $10 million a year range for a big man. I could go for that.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:41:45 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 09:36:29 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
Crazy blockbuster idea with Memphis...

Memphis trades:  Conley, Gay, Gasol
Boston trades:  Rondo, Bradley, Green, Melo

Boston would become:
Conley/Terry
Gay/Lee
Pierce/Gay
KG/Bass
Gasol/Sullinger

I'd do this in a second.  That is a fantastic defensive starting 5 with a ton of offensive punch.

Memphis gives up a lot, but they aren't getting anywhere near as good of a player back for Gay as Rondo from any other team and they also get Bradley who I assume has to be considered a hugely valuable piece around the league.

Not sure why Memphis would want Rondo when they already have a similar (although less skilled) point guard in Conley. If you cancel out those two players, they're essentially trading Rudy Gay and Marc Gasol (a top 5 center) for Bradley, an over paid bench player, and a rookie who has yet to play one game in the NBA. And Bradley becomes redundant on that roster with Tony Allen in the starting line up. Basically, Memphis has no reason to do this deal.

And with Hollinger running the Grizzlies front office, you can just forget any deal that includes Jeff Green.

Can they amnesty Green yet, or do they have to wait until the games start? Maybe the Celtics are just trying to keep us on our toes and prove they're capable of screwing up, too. Here's what we know: Green was a fungible player before he missed last season with a heart problem; guaranteeing him four years (with a player option on the fourth!) at a rate far beyond any rational market level is something we might expect from a couple of the league's bumbling organizations, but certainly not this one. I can't stress this enough: Green is 26 and played four full seasons in the league, and after all that time there's no evidence he's actually any good and considerable evidence that he's a health risk. Yet he's being paid like a second-tier star. This was, without a doubt, the worst contract of the summer.-Hollinger

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2013, 09:39:17 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
i concur.
I think Terry will rpove his worth in the stretch run for a playoff seeding and during the playoffs.

Honestly, I hope Melo RIPS up the D-League and combined with Bass nets us the starting big we so desperately need. I hope Melo increases his value  by dominating the NBDL because I don't think he has much of an NBA future.

Why? Because my son goes to Syracuse and is close with people in the basketball program. They say Melo had to leave school because he was flunking out. He says Melo is pretty limited mentally speaking. He says Melo had a hard time grasping Boeheim's simplistic basketball schemes and plays.

Chances are he'll never get NBA basketball and succeed at the level some think by simply reading his D-League stat lines.

So combined with Bass and Barbosa the Celtics could get a big with a salary in the Celtics could bring in a $10 million a year big man. I could go for that.

Interesting about Syracuse. Keep it under wraps till Melo is traded.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013, 09:57:43 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
i concur.

So combined with Bass and Barbosa the Celtics could get a big with a salary in the Celtics could bring in a $10 million a year big man. I could go for that.

Interesting about Syracuse. Keep it under wraps till Melo is traded.

interesting,
I watched him play in portland a few weeks back and was impressed, not so much by his numbers (5 points, 5 rbs a few blocks) but by his demeanor, he hustled, was focused and listened to his coach.

I remeber folks saying KG was a block head coming out of high school. turns out he's the most articulate, savvy  and funniest* men in the game.
*("honey nut cheerios"... ****)

i hope that, if we do package him, we find that young impact big who helps now and pairs well with sully in the future.

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 10:22:46 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Trading Rondo will rate as one of the biggest mistakess this organization ever made.  We are done if we trade him.  We might as well start rebuilding if we decide to trade him

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 10:31:08 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Regarding Syracuse all the talk about Boeheim being this alleged zone defense expert is total crap.  None of his teams have ever been able to play mam to man defense because he can't teach it.  It's like coaching youth basketball...just having a team play a 2-3 zone is a heck of a lot easier than trying to teach individual and team man to man defense.  And the type of defense NBA teams play is so far outside Boeheims skill set it isn't funny.

I'm sure this heavily factored into Danny's thinking regarding Melo.  That Melo allegedly was flunking out to me was a red flag but I'm guessing (hoping) Danny did his diligence and investigated it thoroughly.  Trust me....no one flunks out of Syracuse if Boeheim wants him there.  I had it on pretty good authority that one of Boeheims past stars was functionally illiterate and he stayed eligible his entire career there.

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2013, 11:04:30 PM »

Offline rav123

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
They say Melo had to leave school because he was flunking out. He says Melo is pretty limited mentally speaking. He says Melo had a hard time grasping Boeheim's simplistic basketball schemes and plays.

I think people are being it bit unfair to Melo regarding his IQ (basketball and academic). He picked up basketball about 5 years ago, so he's had much less time to reach the level where he can memorize a whole host of set plays easily. Having lived in Brazil until college, he picked up the English language even later. This could be the explanation for his academic issues. D-1 athletes, esp. the ones who could play pro one day, are rarely the brightest. If you combine that with not knowing the language of instruction, it won't make for a 4.0.

Another poster said that KG wasn't bright either. That's true: one big factor in his decision to enter the draft out of HS was that he failed his SATs. Now, though, he seems to be one of the more cerebral (not just on the court, but when doing interviews as well) players around. Some of that could be chalked up to experience, but it tells you that these things can change.

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2013, 11:05:34 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Why trade an All Star for a 'youngish big' when we already have one stashed away whose dropping 14 block trip-dubs for the Claws?  Said it before, will say it again.

Fab Melo is for real. 

He's on the Steamer plan, just like Sully's on the Baby/Powe plan.  Danny & Doc are just sticking to their winning formulas.

I'm not saying he can't develop into a good player, but I don't know if we can say he is the real deal based on Red Claw games.

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2013, 11:49:08 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I wonder who he is referring too...

Cousins likely won't be moved with the ownership change. Maybe Gortat? Is he considered youngish?

The expirings in Utah maybe? Big Al and Milsap...

Outside of those four I can't think of any youngish bigs rumored to be on the block.

Anyone else know of anyone? Maybe it's a guy whose name isn't as big like a JJ Hickson or something.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 12:19:02 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
If we make a trade, I really hope it involves non-rotational players and draft picks.

Why ruin our momentum now?

Let's see how this team will flourish!!!

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2013, 12:33:39 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
They say Melo had to leave school because he was flunking out. He says Melo is pretty limited mentally speaking. He says Melo had a hard time grasping Boeheim's simplistic basketball schemes and plays.

I think people are being it bit unfair to Melo regarding his IQ (basketball and academic). He picked up basketball about 5 years ago, so he's had much less time to reach the level where he can memorize a whole host of set plays easily. Having lived in Brazil until college, he picked up the English language even later. This could be the explanation for his academic issues. D-1 athletes, esp. the ones who could play pro one day, are rarely the brightest. If you combine that with not knowing the language of instruction, it won't make for a 4.0.

Another poster said that KG wasn't bright either. That's true: one big factor in his decision to enter the draft out of HS was that he failed his SATs. Now, though, he seems to be one of the more cerebral (not just on the court, but when doing interviews as well) players around. Some of that could be chalked up to experience, but it tells you that these things can change.

Being "street smart" and being "book smart" are entirely different.  Seriously, TOTALLY different.

KG has an abundance of street smarts.  I have no idea about his book smarts.  I'm guessing probably not much back in his HS days.

As for Melo, can fathom how he'd do well in a US university having only a moderate grasp of the English language, at best.

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2013, 12:48:38 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Trading Rondo will rate as one of the biggest mistakess this organization ever made.  We are done if we trade him.  We might as well start rebuilding if we decide to trade him
LOL