Author Topic: Rumor: Hawks offered #8 and #10 for #3  (Read 2714 times)

Rumor: Hawks offered #8 and #10 for #3
« on: June 18, 2019, 12:51:37 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Quote from: Givony
Source: The Atlanta Hawks have been aggressive exploring trades packaging the No. 8 and 10 picks to move up in the draft. Their offer to the Knicks for the No. 3 pick was apparently rebuffed. The Pelicans are considering the possibility of trading the No. 4 pick for 8+10.

https://twitter.com/draftexpress/status/1141024410532556800?s=21

Re: Rumor: Hawks offered #8 and #10 for #3
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 12:53:45 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
That beats any offer we can make for the #4 sadly.

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress 34m34 minutes ago

Darius Garland will conduct a last-minute workout in Tarrytown with the New York Knicks tomorrow, a source told ESPN. Garland is in serious consideration for the No. 3 pick. Minnesota, Boston, Chicago are teams looking at potentially trading up to No. 4 with Garland in mind.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 12:58:50 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
That beats any offer we can make for the #4 sadly.

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress 34m34 minutes ago

Darius Garland will conduct a last-minute workout in Tarrytown with the New York Knicks tomorrow, a source told ESPN. Garland is in serious consideration for the No. 3 pick. Minnesota, Boston, Chicago are teams looking at potentially trading up to No. 4 with Garland in mind.
On the bright side Atlanta isn't moving up to draft Garland. So if Atlanta moves to 4, we could try to get up to 5 or 6 to draft Garland.

This might be crazy but I would give up the Memphis pick to move up and draft Garland.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 01:05:35 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I don't see us having the right assets to move up in the draft. Our assets are either too good or too little. It may very well be that all of the picks combined are not good enough for the #4. We had a similar situation when we wanted to move up for Winslow and were denied, and that was for the 9th pick. GMs don't consider 4 quarters to equal a dollar. We'd need to have a 75 cent coin and a quarter.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 01:18:25 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
If we want a high pick this year, we'll have to sell someone on the Memphis pick and them deciding to move down.

Say #14 + MEM19 for #6 might be accepted, but we'd have to really like someone at #6.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 01:31:42 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • The voice of reason
If we want a high pick this year, we'll have to sell someone on the Memphis pick and them deciding to move down.

Say #14 + MEM19 for #6 might be accepted, but we'd have to really like someone at #6.

6th pick gets us Garland or White, which is good. I just don't know if the Suns would trade the 6th pick NOW for the uncertainty of the Memphis pick. This is basically the bird in the hand. I know I wouldn't. The Suns have to get moving now and that 6th pick guarantees them a PG they desperately need.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 01:33:10 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
All for moving up into the top 6 if possible.

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 01:36:46 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

6th pick gets us Garland or White, which is good. I just don't know if the Suns would trade the 6th pick NOW for the uncertainty of the Memphis pick. This is basically the bird in the hand. I know I wouldn't. The Suns have to get moving now and that 6th pick guarantees them a PG they desperately need.
What about a 3 team deal where Memphis gets their pick back, Phoenix gets Conley and we get 6?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 01:52:33 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • The voice of reason

What about a 3 team deal where Memphis gets their pick back, Phoenix gets Conley and we get 6?

Memphis would value the #6 over the MEM20 pick imo. We have no business in the trade. They could deal Conley for #6 outright.

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 02:47:19 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

The memphis pick is not a high valued pick right now.  I don't think that pick combined with the 14 pick can get you higher then 10.  You keep it until you know it's value.  Memphis should be bad next year but maybe 7-10 bad which gets us the pick.  While that is a good pick to have anything can happen.  Or they can get a top 3 pick next year and a year later pull a Sacramento.

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 03:14:22 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
You don't trade a swing at a superstar on a rookie contract for 2 lower picks in this league.  Many don't grasp that - maybe even some GM's.

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 03:16:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
You don't trade a swing at a superstar on a rookie contract for 2 lower picks in this league.  Many don't grasp that - maybe even some GM's.
Uh the Hawks did just that last year!

All depends on what you think of the player in question and the guys you get when trading down.

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 03:30:38 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

All depends on what you think of the player in question and the guys you get when trading down.
True, but generally basketball doesn't work like football.  Basketball with only 5 players on the court who also must play defense, values big stars.  Football has 22 starters so trading down is more viable.

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 03:41:27 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

It makes sense if you don't like the prospects at your spot, and like one (or more) slightly later, like Ainge trading down from #1 to #3. I can't imagine doing it without knowing for sure that your guy is available, though (preferably by waiting until the later pick to make the trade official)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 03:52:00 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

And the Celtics did just that trading the #1 to Philly for #3 and a Sac pick which we all know turned into trading Fultz and getting Tatum and this year's #14.

I think the problem is that drafting is a crap shoot.  You really don't know how good any pick is going to be so if you get 2 or 3 picks for one pick, you improve your chance of getting lucky.  That is the theory but it usually doesn't work out that way.  Teams tend to like to trade for the single better pick, like Philly did.  Danny played the contrarian and won that deal but it isn't always going to work out that way.