Author Topic: Is Time Running Out for the Timelord?  (Read 4305 times)

Is Time Running Out for the Timelord?
« on: July 28, 2020, 08:58:31 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I was really looking forward to RW3 returning to health, and getting worked back into our rotation.  I still go back to the highlight reel from San Antonio game; who can forget his otherworldly play? 

After watching the first two scrimmages, local media consensus is that Brad does not intend to play Robert meaningful minutes.  If anything, he has seemed to slip from option 3 at the 5 to option 4 (behind 6'6" Grant Williams).  Watching Theis' struggles against Adams in first game, and our inability to establish a secondary defense against perimeter penetration by SGA, RW3 seemed worthy of an audition.   

But no.  Brad seems to have made up his mind, at least for this season.  Huge disappointment for me. This team's ceiling is so much higher when TL is on the floor.  We bring a defensive energy that is unmatched by any team in the league.  Even in his limited minutes vs Suns, he made an incredible block, followed by a steal. No other player on this team is capable of that.  Little moments like that are valuable. They are Marcus Smart-like.

Speaking of which, Smart mentioned how Rob changes their defensive strategy.  Perimeter defenders play more aggressively when he is on the floor, because RW is the only guy on the team who can protect the paint.

Not here to bash Brad's decisions. He sees these guys on a daily basis and must not like what he sees from him. 

Still.  For the life of me and cannot tell what it is. In his limited minutes in the 2 scrimmages, he displayed his typical energy and intensity, but also seems to be playing more contained, taking fewer risks. This has diminished the number of "oh my" plays, but frankly that is what Brad seems to want; Rob seems to be following Brad's instruction.

My prognosis for this team this season has gone negative.  I just don't see a team where most of its minutes at center are taken by Theis, Kanter and G Williams going very far. I think Toronto will man handle us in the 2nd round. Heck, if we match up vs. the Sixers in round 1, I don't think we get past them.

Robert Williams is healthy and is getting chump minutes in scrimmage games. MMS.

Re: Is Time Running Out for the Timelord?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 09:09:03 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I just don't get this love affair people have for Timelord.   He's an athletic big man which is great but when I see him play he's often out of position on defense (sometimes just not paying attention or he's looking for a block), doesn't block out on rebounds so he's not controlling the defensive boards (to be fair, few players on our team block out effectively), doesn't get many offensive rebounds (Kanter is easily our most effective player at positioning himself for an O board) and his offense is pretty limited to rimrunning. 

He needs to really pick up his rate of learning how to play the NBA game if he's to help us next year.  Time lost to injuries certainly hasn't helped him but he's not developing particularly quickly into a really dependable rotation player.  I don't put his limited minutes on Brad because when he does get time, he's not showing much in terms of basic production, just a splashy play here and there. 

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 09:35:57 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
seems he should be fast tracked to help the Celtics   not stuffed in a closet

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 02:07:21 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Just a thought these scrimmages are just scrimmages and maybe he has told Theis to ease in against Steven Adams We don't need our bigs banging with Adams
No need to get hurt ..
The 2nd team is so different when Tremont runs it and the defence must be out of sync  .If I have a criticism of Timelord it is his timing and setting screens-it seems rushed rigid narrow  with no change of pace. Theis is so good at varying his pace and setting up his screens .
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 02:18:28 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 02:07:40 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Simple answer: No.  He is signed through next season with a team option for the following year.

That said, I agree he need minutes and he's not getting them right now. Too bad there won't be SL this year (that I'm aware of).

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 02:12:34 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I think that Timelord is closer to being waived than finding a meaningful spot in the rotation.

Just don't see it with him. I'd rather we sign someone like Harry Giles this off-season and give his spot in the rotation to someone with more awareness of positioning.

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 02:51:07 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I was really looking forward to RW3 returning to health, and getting worked back into our rotation.  I still go back to the highlight reel from San Antonio game; who can forget his otherworldly play? 

After watching the first two scrimmages, local media consensus is that Brad does not intend to play Robert meaningful minutes.  If anything, he has seemed to slip from option 3 at the 5 to option 4 (behind 6'6" Grant Williams).  Watching Theis' struggles against Adams in first game, and our inability to establish a secondary defense against perimeter penetration by SGA, RW3 seemed worthy of an audition.   

But no.  Brad seems to have made up his mind, at least for this season.  Huge disappointment for me. This team's ceiling is so much higher when TL is on the floor.  We bring a defensive energy that is unmatched by any team in the league.  Even in his limited minutes vs Suns, he made an incredible block, followed by a steal. No other player on this team is capable of that.  Little moments like that are valuable. They are Marcus Smart-like.

Speaking of which, Smart mentioned how Rob changes their defensive strategy.  Perimeter defenders play more aggressively when he is on the floor, because RW is the only guy on the team who can protect the paint.

Not here to bash Brad's decisions. He sees these guys on a daily basis and must not like what he sees from him. 

Still.  For the life of me and cannot tell what it is. In his limited minutes in the 2 scrimmages, he displayed his typical energy and intensity, but also seems to be playing more contained, taking fewer risks. This has diminished the number of "oh my" plays, but frankly that is what Brad seems to want; Rob seems to be following Brad's instruction.

My prognosis for this team this season has gone negative.  I just don't see a team where most of its minutes at center are taken by Theis, Kanter and G Williams going very far. I think Toronto will man handle us in the 2nd round. Heck, if we match up vs. the Sixers in round 1, I don't think we get past them.

Robert Williams is healthy and is getting chump minutes in scrimmage games. MMS.

I don't know, but we need to be patient with him. I trust Steven's judgment.

I think that Timelord is closer to being waived than finding a meaningful spot in the rotation.

Just don't see it with him. I'd rather we sign someone like Harry Giles this off-season and give his spot in the rotation to someone with more awareness of positioning.

Pretty bold words to be saying. Considering his Team Option isn't even that bad, plus he's still relatively a young player that's super raw.

Also, I don't see it either with Giles.

I know it's the Kings, but if the Kings don't even want to re-sign him, it's pretty telling in my opinion. Only reason I'll take a chance on him is his potential, and the fact he's very good friends with Tatum. Nothing more, nothing less. He hasn't shown squat either.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 02:56:23 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 03:04:03 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Glad some ppl finally agree with me..I said last year that I just don’t see as a starter or 2nd bench..health and he always looks lost out there..there’s a reason he almost drop out of the first round and now we seeing why
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 03:33:44 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
He is the Lord of the Time ...Time cannot run out on him.

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 03:45:43 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

I don't know, but we need to be patient with him. I trust Steven's judgment.

Pretty bold words to be saying. Considering his Team Option isn't even that bad, plus he's still relatively a young player that's super raw.

Also, I don't see it either with Giles.

I know it's the Kings, but if the Kings don't even want to re-sign him, it's pretty telling in my opinion. Only reason I'll take a chance on him is his potential, and the fact he's very good friends with Tatum. Nothing more, nothing less. He hasn't shown squat either.

I'll be honest, I missed these Basketball hot takes. :D

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 04:07:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I was impressed with TL's growth from year 1 to year 2 and I expect him to continue that growth with the amount of work he puts in. One of the big knocks on him coming out of college was his lack of maturity, and while he had a rough couple of 1st weeks with the team, I have seen nothing but business with him since.

Big guys can take a while to develop - especially those with as much athleticism as TL. His health has been the biggest cause for concern up to this point (same with Romeo), but there is no reason he can't be a part of our big man rotation next season. We took him with the knowledge that he was a project. You don't throw a project away - especially one that has been showing progress - after year two.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 07:38:35 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 05:19:11 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I do think time is running out.  That said, Stevens has shown little hesitation for shaking up rotations in the middle of playoff series, so I think Williams will have an opportunity at some point during the postseason.  We’ll see if he seizes it.

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 05:48:42 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Is time running out?  No, not yet.  Neither Kanter or Theis are long terms solutions nor does either have star potential.  Williams will need improve past where these two are by next year.

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 10:51:18 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I mean, it's his second year in the league and he is 22 years old. He has had injuries and has also been a late lottery pick trying to crack the rotation of a top 4 team in the East the last two years.

So, no, absolutely not. His time clock hasn't even started yet.

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 09:51:20 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I mean, it's his second year in the league and he is 22 years old. He has had injuries and has also been a late lottery pick trying to crack the rotation of a top 4 team in the East the last two years.

So, no, absolutely not. His time clock hasn't even started yet.

The Celtics have three first round picks this year.  They have 11 players with guaranteed contracts/player options for next year.  Two other players with non-guaranteed deals/team options are ahead of him in the rotation (Theis and Semi).  Three players are restricted free agents, and it would be surprising if none of the three (Wanamaker, Waters, and Tacko) were retained.  Javonte Green is also non-guaranteed, but less likely to be retained.

At least one player, and likely more than one, isn't going to be kept next year despite being on a guaranteed contract, and Williams is going to be in that discussion of not making it.  He still has a chance to turn it around, as I said above, but his time for the Celtics is indeed running out.  If we don't see something in the bubble, I expect he will either be traded in the offseason or enter training camp having to win a roster spot.