Author Topic: Team's biggest weakness  (Read 2304 times)

Re: Team's biggest weakness
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 11:36:27 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Biggest weakness?  Easy - no crunch time scoring.  Sure there's potential guys but none proven.  We lost Cryee and Al and they could and did take and make those shots at the end of games. 

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 12:16:59 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Love to have Tyson Chandler as a backup to Enes..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2019, 12:37:04 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Plenty of weaknesses:

Off-the-ball action skills/cutters/passers

Defense

Shooting

Also suspect depth/bench. Not necessarily bad but lots of uncertainty. Rookies (Edwards, Langford, Williams, Poirier) + Yabusele + Ojeleye + Robert Williams + Wannamaker = more than half the roster composed of players who've never had the experience of being NBA rotational players. Plus Theis.

Hard to say which is the biggest weakness. They're all correlated: lack of movemennt -> worse shots -> bad shooting -> bad defense (less settled) -> more stagnant offense (opp defense more settled) -> bad shooting, etc

Some of the players in this team have had very good career years in terms of shooting, but what if they have years more or less similar to the last one?

Tatum - .373
Smart - .364
Kemba - .356
Brown - .344
Hayward -.333

Yikes.

Any of the rookies making a (positive) difference shooting wise strikes me as wild wishful thinking. None of them was even that great in college.

Some fair points but probably too pessimistic on shooting.

Edwards was a very good shooter in college. Career .368 on 7.1 3-pt attempts per game. He dipped to .355 his senior year, but he was carrying his team’s offense, launching more than 10 a game. With slightly improved selection he should be a good three point shooter off the bench. Also, shot .837 from the line, usually a good predictor of pro 3-pt shooting.

Jaylen’s last-year 3-pt % suffered due a thumb injury. In the second half he was back around 40%, just like in his first year. He seems likely to be high 30s at least.

Hayward is more of a question mark. He may be busted as a 3-point shooter. But the end of the year gave some reason for hope. His last 26 games (all games in Feb-April) he shot 39%. Way too small to be a guarantee, but close to what he was doing before the injury and a reasonable possibility.

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2019, 12:47:07 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Big man defense is the biggest issue. If Robert and Grant Williams emerge they could solve that. Theis could be good if he returns to his form from two years ago. All our other bigs are going to get killed on the perimeter.

Not worried about the shooting. I think Jaylen, Tatum and Hayward are all plus shooters despite their numbers last year. Kemba should get better looks with better teammates and easier looks so he should be a plus shower too. The execution last year was worse than I have seen in any of the Stevens years. That will improve this year.

Crunch time scoring shouldn't be an issue. Kemba is great at that.

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2019, 12:57:20 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Biggest weakness?  Easy - no crunch time scoring.  Sure there's potential guys but none proven.  We lost Cryee and Al and they could and did take and make those shots at the end of games.
Kemba Walker

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2019, 01:01:08 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

Kemba is an assassin and Tatum can hit shots.

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2019, 01:02:15 PM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
I don't see a legitimate starting power forward on the roster so I'm going with that being our biggest weakness objectively. Obviously, there are folks who argue that Tatum or Hayward can play the 4, but I'm not sold on that. While the current NBA may be a four-out league, rebounding and interior defense are still tangible parts of the game that we're lacking.

The only answer I could see for this issue in the near future would be the emergence of Grant Williams as a productive player. It could happen.

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2019, 01:08:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
None

Because we dont know yet

If the team game is superb... it can mask any weakness