Author Topic: Celtics (42-17) at Pacers (26-34) Game #60 2/23/23  (Read 11184 times)

Re: Celtics (42-17) at Pacers (26-34) Game #60 2/23/23
« Reply #315 on: February 25, 2023, 10:18:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I’m kind of stunned that no one sees the decline in Rob’s athleticism and hops. Pretty obvious to me. John Zannis brings it up a lot on CLNS post game shows. I agree with him.

I miss this guy (from last season):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gSwOQMbVGxk

He is playing more conservative to me .  Which is IMO a good thing to protect his injury .  He may not ever get 100% , but I think he still improve his knee with a lot of conditioning and time to build up the strength in the remaining good parts of his knee to help stabilize it closer to like it was.
Rob looks heavier than before he tore the meniscus to me ?  Maybe it’s my imagination. Anyway .

I know from a personal perspective,  just 5 lbs of extra weight on my same injury makes a significant  difference in pain in every day life.  Pain increases as my weight go’s up. I use it as an automatic weight signal now.   Going slightly under my ideal weight reduces the pain to nil in all but the most stressful duty. It’s incentive to eat right and stay active,

I can’t be the only person who discovered this effect .  Maybe he has yet to loose the extra pounds to see how much better that knee will feel.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 10:28:57 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #316 on: February 25, 2023, 11:05:45 AM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I’m kind of stunned that no one sees the decline in Rob’s athleticism and hops. Pretty obvious to me. John Zannis brings it up a lot on CLNS post game shows. I agree with him.

I miss this guy (from last season):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gSwOQMbVGxk

He is playing more conservative to me .  Which is IMO a good thing to protect his injury .  He may not ever get 100% , but I think he still improve his knee with a lot of conditioning and time to build up the strength in the remaining good parts of his knee to help stabilize it closer to like it was.
Rob looks heavier than before he tore the meniscus to me ?  Maybe it’s my imagination. Anyway .

I know from a personal perspective,  just 5 lbs of extra weight on my same injury makes a significant  difference in pain in every day life.  Pain increases as my weight go’s up. I use it as an automatic weight signal now.   Going slightly under my ideal weight reduces the pain to nil in all but the most stressful duty. It’s incentive to eat right and stay active,

I can’t be the only person who discovered this effect .  Maybe he has yet to loose the extra pounds to see how much better that knee will feel.

TP, I think weight gain could be a factor. He is definitely a bit heavier.  Guys like Anthony Davis are not nearly as athletic/explosive now, for similar reasons. 

My Celtic fan buddy (he introduced me to Celtics when I  moved to New Hampshire in 1966!) says we should take Rob out for the next month and let him focus on strengthening his knee and conditioning before returning before next Bucks game.  I trust the decision of the medical staff, but not sure they merit it. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 11:45:58 AM by footey »

« Reply #317 on: February 25, 2023, 12:31:43 PM »

Online W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
I didn’t watch the Pacers game, so I literally didn’t see the decline. What I did see was in the game thread that Rob started the first quarter with 2 lob dunks. So I guess Indiana started to defend against that? I also saw everyone complaining about his defense later, but he was fine at the beginning. Did everyone forget that because the game went to OT?

And he literally had the Dunk of the Night just 10 days ago. It looks like a typical Rob dunk to me, just like a lot of those from last year. You can watch it here if you forgot: https://www.nba.com/watch/video/dunk-of-the-night-robert-williams-iii-4

Put me down on the Rob is fine and playing conservative list.

« Reply #318 on: February 25, 2023, 02:46:41 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I didn’t watch the Pacers game, so I literally didn’t see the decline. What I did see was in the game thread that Rob started the first quarter with 2 lob dunks. So I guess Indiana started to defend against that? I also saw everyone complaining about his defense later, but he was fine at the beginning. Did everyone forget that because the game went to OT?

And he literally had the Dunk of the Night just 10 days ago. It looks like a typical Rob dunk to me, just like a lot of those from last year. You can watch it here if you forgot: https://www.nba.com/watch/video/dunk-of-the-night-robert-williams-iii-4

Put me down on the Rob is fine and playing conservative list.

Nice dunk, but his head is almost a foot below the rim.  Prior years there are dunks where his head is near rim level. 

Compare to this dunk from last season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfRxqQxqw4w

When was the last time you saw him jump this high?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K8nu4p5PRM

« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 03:03:43 PM by footey »

« Reply #319 on: February 25, 2023, 03:51:29 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
So I think the realistic scenario for all parties is probably to acknowledge Timelord will just be a role player the rest of his career. And that's perfectly fine btw. Even 20-25 minutes of Timelord maybe with him occasionally closing games too on the defensive end is alright, and then if he's healthy come playoff time you can increase his minutes and potentially have him start as well.

The only thing though going forward is, especially after Horford retires we probably will have to somehow find that "future big", preferably a younger one. For the next 2-3 years though we should still manage. We've got Muscala in the mix as well.

But yeah, I think the "big of the future" is not Timelord simply because he's too injury prone and not always available. They manage his minuntes even when he's healthy anyways
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #320 on: February 26, 2023, 12:23:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
My wife just returned from an orthopedic seminar yesterday.

I was telling her that since I lost weight , back down to my previous weight t the time of my meniscus tear , the pain has pretty much gone away .  But I noticed as my weight bounced up or down , so did the pain in knee over the same period of a year or more.

She confirmed this and told me that exact issue was discussed at length  at her seminar .  That for every pound extra you carry there is 6:1 ratio of pressure to the knee .  Every pound counts with this injury.

Rob might try a little weight reduction,  I know I can do more now myself …….like I carried one end of our sleeper sofa all the away around the house and load it in our truck .  I wasn’t totally sure the knee was going hold up , but it did . LOL.    It was heavier than my momma n law

« Reply #321 on: February 26, 2023, 02:15:06 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
My wife just returned from an orthopedic seminar yesterday.

I was telling her that since I lost weight , back down to my previous weight t the time of my meniscus tear , the pain has pretty much gone away .  But I noticed as my weight bounced up or down , so did the pain in knee over the same period of a year or more.

She confirmed this and told me that exact issue was discussed at length  at her seminar .  That for every pound extra you carry there is 6:1 ratio of pressure to the knee .  Every pound counts with this injury.

Rob might try a little weight reduction,  I know I can do more now myself …….like I carried one end of our sleeper sofa all the away around the house and load it in our truck .  I wasn’t totally sure the knee was going hold up , but it did . LOL.    It was heavier than my momma n law

Yeah that makes sense. I'm in the healthcare field currently and planning to go into the medical field soon, and it's true that even small things like weight and pressure (due to weight) can affect bodily functions as well as things like mobility and strength.

You hear a lot of the same thing with Zion. When he was noticeably overweight and not in shape, it didn't look ideal that he was suffering injuries to his legs and other lower extremities. And he definitely was getting hurt a lot even during some rehab stints. If Zion was in better shape, he might have been able to avoid some injuries and been playing more. But the weight does add pressure to his legs especially when he jumps for dunks but then has to land
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller