Author Topic: Rumor: Raptors Moving OG Anunoby  (Read 8621 times)

Re: Rumor: Raptors Moving OG Anunoby
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2023, 10:00:56 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
You offer Pritchard, Grant, Gallo and 2 1st rounders without batting an eye.

I would probably do it, because I think that takes us from contender to title favorite. Smart-J-J-OG-Rob to close would be the best defense in the league. Also means Memphis and NO can’t grab him. But it would hurt a little, because that’s an overpay for OG and it means we’ve used up our trade assets for the  next couple years.
An overpay? Think other teams can easily beat an offer of an 7th man, a 12th man, and a couple of first round picks. Would be dancing naked in the street if Toronto accepted that offer.

Frankly I think people are overrating OG

I don't think he is any different than Jerami Grant. I think his defense is fairly overrated. He's good on defense, but whenever I watch them, I don't see a dominate defensive player.

Jerami Grant got 1 first and a couple seconds.

Just looked at that Detroit trade and it’s a little shocking. They mostly did it for cap relief and probably to help them tank. Detroit got:

Gabriele Procida (No. 36 pick on 2022 draft)
• 2025 first-round draft pick (via Milwaukee - so most likely a late pick)
• 2025 second-round draft pick
• 2026 second-round draft pick

I'm still shocked at what he was traded for, but again if we had a trade exception big enough, we might have been able to get it done.

Detroit just really didn't want salary back.

He's 3 years younger, and he's a better defender than Grant. So he's more valuable.

He's also not as good offensively, and I don't necessarily think he's that much better defensively.
Sorry but curious: How is OG not as good as Grant Williams offensively?

Jerami Grant
Jerami Grant…is a better player than Grant Williams. OG Anunoby is a better player than Grant Williams. There is no scenario where Grant Williams is a better player than either of those two guys.

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2023, 10:11:05 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

I would probably do it, because I think that takes us from contender to title favorite. Smart-J-J-OG-Rob to close would be the best defense in the league. Also means Memphis and NO can’t grab him. But it would hurt a little, because that’s an overpay for OG and it means we’ve used up our trade assets for the  next couple years.
An overpay? Think other teams can easily beat an offer of an 7th man, a 12th man, and a couple of first round picks. Would be dancing naked in the street if Toronto accepted that offer.

I don't think he is any different than Jerami Grant. I think his defense is fairly overrated. He's good on defense, but whenever I watch them, I don't see a dominate defensive player.

Just looked at that Detroit trade and it’s a little shocking. They mostly did it for cap relief and probably to help them tank. Detroit got:

I'm still shocked at what he was traded for, but again if we had a trade exception big enough, we might have been able to get it done.

He's 3 years younger, and he's a better defender than Grant. So he's more valuable.

He's also not as good offensively, and I don't necessarily think he's that much better defensively.

Jerami Grant
Jerami Grant…is a better player than Grant Williams. OG Anunoby is a better player than Grant Williams. There is no scenario where Grant Williams is a better player than either of those two guys.

Right — you’re confused in that all of the “Grant” references prior to your post were comparing Jerami Grant and OG Anunoby.  No one is comparing either of them to Grant Williams in this thread.

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2023, 10:13:56 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Jerami Grant

Right — you’re confused in that all of the “Grant” references prior to your post were comparing Jerami Grant and OG Anunoby.  No one is comparing either of them to Grant Williams in this thread.
Too many mentions of Grant. I need a beer.

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2023, 11:43:55 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

Jerami Grant

Too many mentions of Grant. I need a beer.

Lol.  Yeah I definitely misread that one.  Fair comparison for sure with Jerami and OG.  The C's really need a 3rd guy.  Nights light tonight and the plus/minus and scoring with tatum on the floor vs the bench are astounding.  Someone like OG over White I think would help a lot.  Too bad the C's don't have the fire power to get a deal done. 

« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2023, 03:28:33 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

OG isn't that good.  Toronto is 7 games below .500 and he is the 4th or 5th best player on that team (Siakam, Barnes, VanVleet all clearly better then you have Trent).  He is a fine player.  A nice upgrade on Grant, but he isn't that much of an upgrade given Grant is a better shooter which often has more use in the role available on this team.  Grant is also a better rebounder. 

I'd be fine trading Gallo, Grant, and Pritchard for OG, but 2 1st's on top of that is a big time overpay and basically eliminates Boston from any draft pick trades for years (since we'd have to trade 25 and 27 or 26 and 28).  OG isn't worth that.
You did not just write that Gary Trent Jr. is essentially as good as OG, did you?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2023, 04:24:17 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

OG isn't that good.  Toronto is 7 games below .500 and he is the 4th or 5th best player on that team (Siakam, Barnes, VanVleet all clearly better then you have Trent).  He is a fine player.  A nice upgrade on Grant, but he isn't that much of an upgrade given Grant is a better shooter which often has more use in the role available on this team.  Grant is also a better rebounder. 

I'd be fine trading Gallo, Grant, and Pritchard for OG, but 2 1st's on top of that is a big time overpay and basically eliminates Boston from any draft pick trades for years (since we'd have to trade 25 and 27 or 26 and 28).  OG isn't worth that.
You did not just write that Gary Trent Jr. is essentially as good as OG, did you?
Most of the advanced metrics favor Trent.  He also scores more on a better efficiency.  He obviously plays a different position, but yeah I dont think it is a slam dunk that OG is automatically better.  If OG was as good as a lot of people in this thread allege, then the Raptors would be competing for a title rather than fighting to make the play in.  OG is a fine player, but he isn't a great player which is why he is even available.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2023, 04:25:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
If Durant becomes available, then Toronto should really consider trading OG and other assets to acquire him
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2023, 04:09:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yeah, I think with Durant in play we have a snowball's chance in heck on landing OG and it was not much better prior to that.  Boy Durant And Scottie Barnes would be some tough bookend forwards if they got him.  Sikam and OG is a nice starting spot for a trade for them

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2023, 04:13:33 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Brooklyn get Boucher, OG & Trent plus picks

Toronto get Durant
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2023, 04:22:24 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Toronto get Durant

Let's go buddy. You should know this time of the year it's important to qualify ideas, rumors, and actual trades in your posts.

We expect more from you Birdman :)

« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2023, 04:30:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

Toronto get Durant

Let's go buddy. You should know this time of the year it's important to qualify ideas, rumors, and actual trades in your posts.

We expect more from you Birdman :)

CelticsStrong is officially trading Birdman away for a 2nd round pick and a Celtics fan baby that will make an account on this forum 5 years from now  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller