Author Topic: Report: Thunder, Rockets Pull Off Eight-Player Trade  (Read 2252 times)

Report: Thunder, Rockets Pull Off Eight-Player Trade
« on: September 30, 2022, 11:18:53 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
OKC up to it again!  (Sorry if posted already, I didn't see it.)

Oklahoma City is reportedly trading center Derrick Favors, guard Ty Jerome, forward Moe Harkless, guard Theo Maledon and a 2025 second-round pick (via the Hawks) to Houston in exchange for forward Marquese Chriss and guards David Nwaba, Sterling Brown and Trey Burke.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/report-thunder-rockets-pull-off-eight-player-trade/ar-AA12pOg0?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ff3df2fa5599416d875cceaa032e5a8b
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Re: Report: Thunder, Rockets Pull Off Eight-Player Trade
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 11:27:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Lots of scrubs going in different directions to save money. Might be nice to see if Favors gets released but with C's signing Blake Griffin, I doubt that happens.

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 11:35:51 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Why bother?
They're just swapping 10th-15th men.

What is the point?

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 11:37:17 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Why bother?

What is the point?

OKC saves some money, HOU picks up a second rounder.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 01:08:09 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85
Ty Jerome would be a nice pickup in the instance we traded Pritchard in a multi-player deal after Dec 15th.

Of course that's putting the cart way before the horse.

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 01:32:03 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Ty Jerome would be a nice pickup in the instance we traded Pritchard in a multi-player deal after Dec 15th.

Of course that's putting the cart way before the horse.

I've liked Ty Jerome when I've seen him play but his numbers are not good at all. I guess he just has good games when I watch...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 02:35:28 PM by liam »

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2022, 03:23:05 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Why bother?

What is the point?

The savings was only $1M right?  Swapping 4 players each for a $1M or a second seems like an awful lot of change for not much change.  I don't know either team very well but this makes no sense to me.  Trade 4 meaningless players for 4 other meaningless players.  I agree with the "what is the point" sentiment.

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2022, 10:01:52 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Amazing to me that the Sixers were so (rightfully) vilified in the Hinkie years for the naked tanking, but the modern day Thunder get a pass. That organization is making zero effort to win going on how many years?

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2022, 10:06:29 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
Why bother?

What is the point?

The savings was only $1M right?  Swapping 4 players each for a $1M or a second seems like an awful lot of change for not much change.  I don't know either team very well but this makes no sense to me.  Trade 4 meaningless players for 4 other meaningless players.  I agree with the "what is the point" sentiment.

OKC will spend more money on travel and temporary housing plus moving expenses for their new players than they will save in salary.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2022, 10:07:27 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Amazing to me that the Sixers were so (rightfully) vilified in the Hinkie years for the naked tanking, but the modern day Thunder get a pass. That organization is making zero effort to win going on how many years?

I’m not sure that any of the players traded here affect winning (except Ty Jerome, whom we should totally sign although he wants more minutes than we can give).  OKC may deserve some criticism, but at the same time they were in the playoffs in 2020, and had their top draft pick go down with a season-ending injury while their best player (SGA) is out for at least two months with a knee sprain, so this season hasn’t exactly gone to plan to start off.

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2022, 11:26:31 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158

I keep hearing this. It’s not the same. Tanking has been going on since essentially the league started. The issue is, Hinkie actually talked about it as a strategy, that was the issue. Had he not talked about it openly like he did, I bet you he would still be there today
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2022, 11:35:13 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Why bother?

What is the point?

The savings was $7 million, and OKC created a $10.2 million TPE for Favors.  They’re now about $8 or million under the luxury tax, so they can use that TPE at the deadline or next off-season.

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2022, 09:21:04 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I just love that a couple of GMs and their teams probably spent a ton of time and energy working on this trade and ones similar to it. 
Yup

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2022, 03:09:08 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

That wasn’t a fairness problem. Teams have been tanking since I’ve been watching. It was a perception issue. The Sixers were too open/proud about it. The NBA can’t afford that, fianciay speaking.

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2022, 03:33:04 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

That wasn’t a fairness problem. Teams have been tanking since I’ve been watching. It was a perception issue. The Sixers were too open/proud about it. The NBA can’t afford that, fianciay speaking.

Basically one of those "if you're gonna tank just close your mouth and do it and not stir a commotion over it"

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)