Author Topic: What players around the league are primed for a breakout year?  (Read 1310 times)

What players around the league are primed for a breakout year?
« on: September 24, 2022, 09:23:31 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I'm mainly trying to figure this out for fantasy bball purposes. Every year there are guys who are overlooked who can make a huge difference if you can snag them in the late rounds of the draft - guys like Gary Trent Jr. & Evan Mobley made a huge impact for me last year as late picks.

I'll toss around a couple of names, feel free to comment or add anyone you feel is missing.

PJ WASHINGTON - CHA. Washington is a solid player and elite three point shooter whose usage is bound to go up with Miles Bridges now gone.

PAT WILLIAMS - CHI. Williams hasn't exactly proved himself worthy of his #4 overall pick status, but is still only 21, and word is people in the Bulls organization have really high hopes for the kid. Should see a big increase in minutes this year.

JOSH GREEN - DAL. Another young guy who hasn't lived up to his high pick status but is talked highly of and may see a lot of minutes because of Dallas's lack of wing depth.

QUENTIN GRIMES - NYK. Knicks like him enough to have made him a sticking point (reportedly) in Donovan Mitchell trade talks. Guessing he will get a big boost in minutes this year.

JAMES WISEMAN - GSW. May be the biggest question mark in the league right now. Realistically, he's more likely to be the next Greg Oden than the next Joel Embiid, but you never know in the NBA. He could log zero minutes or he could put up 18/12. I think that if it's for the latter it will happen on a different team since I could see GS going the same route with him that the Sixers took with Fultz and send him on his way to a rebuilding team where he can start fresh.

BENNEDICT MATHURIN - IND. This summer Mathruin went on record saying "LeBron is going to have to prove he's better than me." Actual quote, look it up. The kid clearly has no lack of confidence, and will likely get a good amount of minutes to prove his salt given Indys lack of wing depth with scrubs like Nesmith and Terry Taylor.

BRANDON CLARKE - MEM. - Entering his prime with Jaren Jackson out for the season. I like his chances of having his best statistical year yet.

OMER YURTSEVEN - MIA. This ones a bit random buy I think this dude is solid and like his chances to get more minutes given Miamis lack of front court depth.

DARIUS BAZLEY - OKC. Bazley just turned 22 and has already had some solid years statistically. I expect at least 16/8/3 from Bazley this year. God knows he'll get the minutes with no Chet Holmgren.

KEEGAN MURRAY - SAC. I'm almost hesitant because Murray was taken with a high pick from Sacramento, and historically those players don't do well given the incompetence of the franchise...but I love this Murray kid.
loved him in college, loved him going into the draft,  loved him in summer league, and wouldn't be even a little surprised to see him in the ROTY conversation.

DEVIN VASSELL - SAS. Simple case of a young guy with a ton of potential putting up big numbers on an abysmal tanking team.

PRECIOUS ACHIUAW - TOR. Of course he will be good. Most players we passed on for Nesmith are...The 2020 draft will haunt me in to old age lol.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

COBY WHITE - CHI

JONATHAN KUMINGA - GSW

ZIARE WILLIAMS - MEM

DENI AVDIJA - WAS

Hope this helps you out in your respective drafts....unless you're in my league  ;)

Re: What players around the league are primed for a breakout year?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 10:01:35 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Noah Vonleh and Sam Hauser (I am being hopeful).

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 10:15:48 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I'd look at San Antonio. Someone has to shoot. Keldon Johnson might average well over 25 ppg next year, and a few other players on that roster are going to have wildly inflated stats too. You mentioned Devin Vassell. Possibly Josh Richardson or even Romeo Langford too.

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 10:16:34 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Noah Vonleh and Sam Hauser (I am being hopeful).
;D
Seriously though, for the C's I hope it's Grant Williams. He's in a contract year.

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 10:27:09 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I wouldn’t pick Bazley.  Some analysts think he won’t survive training camp in OKC.

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 10:47:06 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Jalen Smith could. He isn't worried about a contract and he will get minutes.

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 12:29:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Kuminga was getting criticized during the summer for his lack of work ethic and attitude. So probably some maturing necessary there before he is ready to fulfill his potential.

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2022, 12:42:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'm going with Josh Giddey.

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2022, 06:09:25 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I've got a feeling Joshua Primo makes a big jump. Super young (won't be 20 until Christmas and it's his 2nd season), and ended the season well.

Bones Hyland could be a chance. Seemed to really impress Coach Malone.

Talen Horton-Tucker will potentially be a starter, could get a lot more looks
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2022, 07:36:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Paolo Banchero is going to have an amazing rookie season.

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2022, 08:01:47 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Markkanen was mentioned in another thread for a breakout year after his strong showing in EuroBasket and given the big role he is likely to have in Utah after they decimated their team this summer.

That was a good shout.