Author Topic: Is Kelly O getting bought out?  (Read 5029 times)

Is Kelly O getting bought out?
« on: September 23, 2022, 04:00:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
If Olynyk gets bought out he'd fit here. Hey Danny we need you!

Re: Is Kelly O getting bought out?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 04:14:05 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Utah can probably get a pick for him at the trade deadline. If not a 1st, at least 1-2 2nds. Kelly Olynyk is a really good rotation player. I would be surprised if they cannot get for him in the trade market.

So I do not expect him to get bought out.

I would love to see him return to Boston though. I enjoyed the way he played. Flaws and all.

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 04:15:50 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I read that Utah likes him and sees him as a stabilizing vet for a young roster.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 04:16:25 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Utah thin upfront so I suspect they keep him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 04:24:21 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I think it’s a possibility.  The Jazz have 18 guaranteed contracts, so they have to move/cut three.  Here’s a breakdown:

Vets they won’t cut:
Conley — owed $22 million this year and $15m next year, probably has trade value.
Sexton — just signed to a big deal
Markkanen — they’ll try to trade him.
Beasley — 2 fully guaranteed years left
Clarkson — same as Beasley.

Young guys they won’t cut:
Horton-Tucker — just traded for him, 2 fully guaranteed years
Vanderbilt — very tradeable if they don’t want to keep him (would love to get him if he’s on the block)
Agbaji — lottery pick from this year they just acquired
Kessler — 1st rounder from this year they just got
Fontecchio — Don’t know much about him, but they signed him to 2-year, $6.2 million deal thus summer, so he’s safe

That leaves the following:
Gay — owed $6.5 million next year
Alexander-Walker — on his 4th year of his rookie deal.  Not sure what they think of him.
Azubuike — on his 3rd year, not sure that the Jazz think.
Jared Butler — entering his second year — ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Leandro Bolmaro — 2nd year of rookie deal.  I’d seen prognostications that he’d be cut prior to the Bogs trade.  Rough rookie year, but I find that surprising (and the Celtics should totally take a flyer on him if he is).
Stanley Johnson — almost certainly cut.
Saben Lee — The Pistons sent the Jazz the exact amount he’s owed, which is not a good sign for him
Olynyk — owed $3 million next year on top of what he’s owed this year.

So there’s 8 guys to choose from to cut, and they have to get rid of 3, assuming no trades.  If I had to rank the likelihood, it’s in this order:

1. Johnson
2. Lee
3. Bolmaro
4. Olynyk
5. Gay
6. Butler
7. NAW
8. Azubuike

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 05:09:11 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Utah can probably get a pick for him at the trade deadline. If not a 1st, at least 1-2 2nds. Kelly Olynyk is a really good rotation player. I would be surprised if they cannot get for him in the trade market.

So I do not expect him to get bought out.

I would love to see him return to Boston though. I enjoyed the way he played. Flaws and all.
I'd love Olynyk even though we have a ton of bigs - it all depends on whether he's willing to play a very small role once Robert returns.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2022, 05:34:08 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
It'd be nice to have Olynyk back.

If Utah has to dump someone, though, I'd probably work harder at snagging Jarred Vanderbilt. Fits into a TPE so that could help in making the deal.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2022, 05:34:59 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
How about Conley, Olynyk, and Gay ($41.7M) for Westbrook and a Pick ($47.0M).  Utah pays about $6M more this season but saves about $24 next season.  I am not sure that Utah would get much more selling off the pieces individually.  Conley is hurt a lot, Olynyk isn't terribly overpaid but really isn't that good and Rudy Gay is perfect for the Lakers in that he is well past his prime.

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 06:05:27 PM »

Offline shake603

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
It would be a dream come true to bring Kelly Olynyk in. It's probably not talked about enough how well he would fit into the roles that we need most right now.  He could replace some of what we lost with Gallinari as a release valve against bench units as well as replicate a bit of what Horford does for us in lineups without him.  We'd get to play a wider variety of lineups and not really sacrifice too much. I hate to speculate about trading a guy right after he's injured but I think Gallo + Hauser gets this done in December when Gallo can be traded.  I'd be elated. 

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2022, 06:22:52 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
It would be a dream come true to bring Kelly Olynyk in. It's probably not talked about enough how well he would fit into the roles that we need most right now.  He could replace some of what we lost with Gallinari as a release valve against bench units as well as replicate a bit of what Horford does for us in lineups without him.  We'd get to play a wider variety of lineups and not really sacrifice too much. I hate to speculate about trading a guy right after he's injured but I think Gallo + Hauser gets this done in December when Gallo can be traded.  I'd be elated.

Kelly would fit nicely on this team.

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2022, 06:27:54 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Can he switch as a defender, not all the time, folks.   His offense game has always been nice.  Defense not so much.

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2022, 06:28:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Can he switch as a defender, not all the time, folks.   His offense game has always been nice.  Defense not so much.
Better than Kornet, who is bad at both
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2022, 06:36:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm really hoping the Kornet hate takes a turn and he has a great season. The board seems as down on Kornet now as they were Grant Williams last year at this exact time.

I don't want the team to be reliant on Kornet before the season even starts, but I kinda liked what I saw out of him last year. I still want him to be an out of the rotation, developmental player based on what I saw last year, but would love for him to take a Grant Williams type turn into being a great role player like Grant did last year.

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2022, 06:47:37 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I'm really hoping the Kornet hate takes a turn and he has a great season. The board seems as down on Kornet now as they were Grant Williams last year at this exact time.

I don't want the team to be reliant on Kornet before the season even starts, but I kinda liked what I saw out of him last year. I still want him to be an out of the rotation, developmental player based on what I saw last year, but would love for him to take a Grant Williams type turn into being a great role player like Grant did last year.

I think Kornet has improved his game. He's a good teammate and has good chemistry with Tatum in the limited time I've seen them on the court together. I'm not sure why he gets so much hate. Is a solid NBA journeyman. The year Grant was getting so much heat it was clear that he was carrying too much weight. Kornet can move his feet and he's 7'2".

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2022, 06:51:10 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I'm fairly high on Kornet - I think he's a very smart basketball player with real skills on offence. His ability to protect the rim and willingness to work hard on the perimeter makes him a very good defensive player while his shooting, passing and screen-setting give him decent tools to work with on offence.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA