Author Topic: Journalists nowadays  (Read 5317 times)

Re: Journalists nowadays
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2022, 05:32:26 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2022, 06:10:44 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Not sure why we would put Woj in the same bucket with SAS. Smith is an opinion machine. It’s his bit. Say something so extreme it starts a conversation. There are no “Smith bombs”. When I see a Woj bomb I can pretty much take to the bank that thewhat he said is going to happen is going to happen. Seems like reporting to me.
This is what I was thinking. What our opinions are of Woj, he's a reporter who created a brand based on being first at reporting. Shams is similar.

SAS and most of the rest of ESPN is just hot take, talking head bs. I can't stand it and wish fewer people tuned in for the crap.

Fixed that for you.

Woj does get points for being able to finish a sentence that doesn’t read like an AI trained on Bleacher Report articles run through Google translate.

But both of them are just access merchants.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2022, 06:17:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
FWIW, Perk's two cents.

https://twitter.com/KendrickPerkins/status/1573401709577207808

Perk is just wrong.

Perk is totally wrong. This whole thing is on Ime. I wish people would stop slinging mud at the Celtics.

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2022, 07:43:05 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Not sure why we would put Woj in the same bucket with SAS. Smith is an opinion machine. It’s his bit. Say something so extreme it starts a conversation. There are no “Smith bombs”. When I see a Woj bomb I can pretty much take to the bank that thewhat he said is going to happen is going to happen. Seems like reporting to me.
This is what I was thinking. What our opinions are of Woj, he's a reporter who created a brand based on being first at reporting. Shams is similar.

SAS and most of the rest of ESPN is just hot take, talking head bs. I can't stand it and wish fewer people tuned in for the crap.

Fixed that for you.

Woj does get points for being able to finish a sentence that doesn’t read like an AI trained on Bleacher Report articles run through Google translate.

There is value in knowing what is real and what is chum put out by a player, a team, an agent to move a narrative. How many stories do you read speculating about this trade or that trade? Shams and Woj don’t let themselves be part of that. Maybe it’s not deep investigative journalism, but it is actually breaking news, with some judgement about what to broadcast. We’d be a lot better off if everybody had the same filter.

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2022, 07:53:51 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Fixed that for you.

There is value in knowing what is real and what is chum put out by a player, a team, an agent to move a narrative. How many stories do you read speculating about this trade or that trade? Shams and Woj don’t let themselves be part of that. Maybe it’s not deep investigative journalism, but it is actually breaking news, with some judgement about what to broadcast. We’d be a lot better off if everybody had the same filter.

At the same time, there is also value in not rushing to break every story and actually seeking to confirm with sources.  Woj is the one who first reported a consensual relationship, which is what started the rampant speculation, and at best it was more complicated than that.  Reaching out to the Celtics first for comment, rather than tweeting, would be a much better journalistic practice in this instance, and is how news organizations would function.

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2022, 07:57:27 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
Surely, and particularly for Shams, the KD saga and the Udoka saga that’s unfolding now have convinced you that your third sentence might not be as true as you might hope?

You’re right that Woj and Shams don’t have to justify their paycheques with speculative stories or analysis, because they aren’t on the payroll to do that - they’re on payroll to be on league-wide speed dial at all hours.

Edit: forgot about the Kyrie vaccine “voice of the voiceless” tweets, but that was Shams too.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 08:07:30 PM by Kernewek »
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2022, 08:01:19 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
FWIW, Perk's two cents.

Perk is just wrong.

yeah there were too many out side pieces that could have easily leaked for a little cash. Nia Long could have said some thing cause she's ticked off. The Firm investigation it. People working in the building that aren't high up. Who knows. The fact they were dealing with this since July and it just got out now shows they did what they could. Usually these type of things get out quick.

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2022, 08:05:11 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Fixed that for you.

At the same time, there is also value in not rushing to break every story and actually seeking to confirm with sources.  Woj is the one who first reported a consensual relationship, which is what started the rampant speculation, and at best it was more complicated than that.  Reaching out to the Celtics first for comment, rather than tweeting, would be a much better journalistic practice in this instance, and is how news organizations would function.
how do you know he didn't and how do you know who is source is?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2022, 08:12:41 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen

Fixed that for you.

Occam’s razor: the source is someone in Ime’s camp to 1) get ahead of the story and 2) muddy the waters and force the C’s into a tricky position where a “technically correct” statement isn’t possible to reply to during an expected media cycle because it might compromise future action.

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2022, 08:13:18 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Fixed that for you.

Because the Celtics were very clear today they weren’t going to talk about those details, and never in any article did he say either quote the Celtics or say they offered no comment.  If he Woj were working for the Washington Post, they’d absolutely have required that be included in an article.

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2022, 09:35:48 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
FWIW, Perk's two cents.

Perk is just wrong.

Perk is totally wrong. This whole thing is on Ime. I wish people would stop slinging mud at the Celtics.

So what was the correct way of handling this? If they named the female employee that would have opened up a lot of criticisms as well. The Cs were in a lose-lose situation. At the end of the day they had to be cautious with their actions in order to protect the organization from any possible legal repercussions from the individuals involved.

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2022, 12:51:40 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
In today's social climate, if anything regarding race was considered by the organization, the Celtics would have bent over backwards to give Udoka the lightest consequence they could manage, not the other way around. Brad Stevens is about as woke as they come and he would have never signed off on the year-long suspension if he did not think it was warranted. There is so much about this situation that we do not know at this point. Eventually, it will all come out.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2022, 04:21:59 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
In today's social climate, if anything regarding race was considered by the organization, the Celtics would have bent over backwards to give Udoka the lightest consequence they could manage, not the other way around. Brad Stevens is about as woke as they come and he would have never signed off on the year-long suspension if he did not think it was warranted. There is so much about this situation that we do not know at this point. Eventually, it will all come out.
There has never been a better way to display an inability to come up with any kind of original thought than using the term 'woke'
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2022, 04:32:14 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
There has never been a better way to display an inability to come up with any kind of original thought than using the term 'woke'

You ignored his larger point which was a good one, Stevens understands the optics of this very well, yet still went for a 1 year long suspension. Ime almost unquestionably earned it
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2022, 04:37:15 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

You ignored his larger point which was a good one, Stevens understands the optics of this very well, yet still went for a 1 year long suspension. Ime almost unquestionably earned it
I would have thought someone of tenn's persuasion would have thought that somebody like Stevens (apparently woke) would have considered race in the equation.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)