Author Topic: Possible coach replacement?  (Read 3220 times)

Re: Possible coach replacement?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2022, 04:09:59 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Mazzulla Is the next guy. Don’t give me the retreaded Frank Vogel. He’s not taking Boston anywhere.

Mazzulla is in house and the players love him.

You don’t want a coach that won a championship just a few years ago, who has a winning percentage of nearly 60% over the last 3 season. I’d certainly feel more comfortable having someone like that on board vs giving the job to an assistant that has never coached a single game in the NBA.

Udoka hadn’t been a head coach for a single game before leading the team to the Finals.  At least Mazzulla has familiarity with the team

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2022, 04:11:06 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Mazzulla Is the next guy. Don’t give me the retreaded Frank Vogel. He’s not taking Boston anywhere.

You don’t want a coach that won a championship just a few years ago, who has a winning percentage of nearly 60% over the last 3 season. I’d certainly feel more comfortable having someone like that on board vs giving the job to an assistant that has never coached a single game in the NBA.
They didn't want a coach that brought them to 3 ECF in 5 years, with a .618 winning percentage.
They may want the #2 guy that brought this team within 2 games of a chip.

We trying to make it to the ECF or win a championship? Frank won a championship, recently. Would be nice to have a coach that knows what it takes. 
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2022, 04:37:04 PM »

Offline LaBran Jaymes

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Time to give Jeff Van Gundy a call.

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2022, 05:13:41 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

They didn't want a coach that brought them to 3 ECF in 5 years, with a .618 winning percentage.
They may want the #2 guy that brought this team within 2 games of a chip.

We trying to make it to the ECF or win a championship? Frank won a championship, recently. Would be nice to have a coach that knows what it takes.
He won a shortened season with LeBron(2nd in MVP) and Davis (6th on MVP)
He has a career winning percentage of 51% without LeBron. He's under .500 if you exclude the shortened championship season. He missed the playoffs badly last year with LeBron.

I think he would be a good hire as a veteran assistant.

On the plus side he did play Dwight Howard in 69 of 71 games in the championship season.

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2022, 05:40:07 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Time to give Jeff Van Gundy a call.

God, no. Either one of the Van Gundy brothers would lose the locker room after the first practice.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2022, 06:15:15 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
If Ume resigns or get fired, then I see Celtics going after Vogel or someone else…but if he gets a one year suspension and accepts it, then Mazzulla will be interim
I have heard that the celtics management think very highly of Mazzulla. I believe they blocked him from leaving to Utah with Hardy. He was one of the only (maybe the only?) assistant coach retained post-ainge.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2022, 06:48:46 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
If Ume resigns or get fired, then I see Celtics going after Vogel or someone else…but if he gets a one year suspension and accepts it, then Mazzulla will be interim
I have heard that the celtics management think very highly of Mazzulla. I believe they blocked him from leaving to Utah with Hardy. He was one of the only (maybe the only?) assistant coach retained post-ainge.

I know nothing about the guy other than he’s very young (younger than Al), and that he was a major player in the defensive scheme. 

My biggest concern would be what the players think of him and whether they can rally as a team.  This situation is not at all what you want as the Jays start thinking more about where they want to play in their next contracts.

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2022, 06:53:31 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC

I know nothing about the guy other than he’s very young (younger than Al), and that he was a major player in the defensive scheme. 

My biggest concern would be what the players think of him and whether they can rally as a team.  This situation is not at all what you want as the Jays start thinking more about where they want to play in their next contracts.

Players love mazzulla 

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2022, 08:43:23 PM »

Offline bricone29

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
Put me down for a Rick Pitino reunion. :P

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2022, 08:47:33 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Thankfully he won’t be walking through any doors.

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2022, 02:34:57 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Man I'd like to have Kenny Atkinson on board...but looks like he's staying stuck in GSW

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2022, 04:56:03 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Am I the only one who thinks Joe Mazzulla is David Aldridge‘s long lost son lol

« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 05:12:17 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2022, 09:21:56 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

ML Carr anyone?
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2022, 10:10:43 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
I’m fine with Joe Mazz being the interim head coach, but I hope they surround him with an experienced assistant coach like Snyder, Vogel, or D’Antoni.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 10:42:52 AM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2022, 12:14:43 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I'm willing to stick with Joe Mazz. Brad gave him a big seal of approval at the presser, and he was one of only two people who survived the transition between Brad and Ime. Brad did say he was open to hiring more support if needed.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D