Author Topic: Udoka Facing Suspension/Udoka to Nets??  (Read 58417 times)

Re: Udoka Facing Suspension
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2022, 03:21:57 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I seem to remember a line about a pen and company ink that feels appropriate here.

Sucks, but it is what it is.

Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2022, 03:23:43 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Full year suspension? What’s the point. Just fire him then, the damage has already been done. Now we go back to wondering if the team has any kind of chemistry. This really sucks  ::)

« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2022, 03:30:02 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Part of what the Cs have to consider is even though (I'm assuming) both parties may have said it was consensual, when someone in a position of power has sexual relations with someone on their staff there's always a slippery slope. Especially in this #metoo era. The woman could always come out later and say she had been coerced (for all we know she could have), and file a lawsuit, and I think she would have a great chance (even if she hadn't been, I think he's opened himself up and put the Celtics in a position where they could face a future lawsuit). That's why inter-work relationships, especially with your staff, are never good things. Maybe 30 years ago when nobody gave a stuff but not today. Really bad judgment from Ime. It's always tough picking between your job and your love (or lust) but with that power dynamic, not to mention the fact that he was violating organization rules, he was playing with fire and he only has himself to blame for getting burned.

I'm not sure what kind of precedent there is in the league we could look to for guidance as to the penalty. Different people will have different opinions of it - some will say it's no big deal, they're two consenting adults, let them play hide the sausage if they want as long as our team keeps winning who cares. Others will think that Ime abused his power to have this intimate relationship with a staffer. Then there are the folks in the middle. But what matters is not our opinions but what the Celtics organizational rules are, and what the penalties for violating that would be. And from the reporting it appears that there are rules against it, and so having workplace affairs violated those rules. Just a matter of working out the punishment then.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 03:38:14 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2022, 03:33:15 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
What sucks about the timing of the Udoka’s suspension, is that we are only months removed from Will Hardy being poached by Ainge.

Hardy would’ve been the perfect replacement, either short or long term.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2022, 03:40:59 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Part of what the Cs have to consider is even though (I'm assuming) both parties may have said it was consensual, when someone in a position of power has sexual relations with someone on their staff there's always a slippery slope. Especially in this #metoo era. The woman could always come out later and say she had been coerced (for all we know she could have), and file a lawsuit, and I think she would have a great chance. That's why inter-work relationships, especially with your staff, are never good things. Maybe 30 years ago when nobody gave a stuff but not today. Really bad judgment from Ime. It's always tough picking between your job and your love (or lust) but with that power dynamic, not to mention the fact that he was violating organization rules, he was playing with fire and he only has himself to blame for getting burned.

I'm not sure what kind of precedent there is in the league we could look to for guidance as to the penalty. Different people will have different opinions of it - some will say it's no big deal, they're two consenting adults, let them play hide the sausage if they want as long as our team keeps winning who cares. Others will think that Ime abused his power to have this intimate relationship with a staffer. Then there are the folks in the middle. But what matters is not our opinions but what the Celtics organizational rules are, and what the penalties for violating that would be. And from the reporting it appears that there are rules against it, and so having workplace affairs violated those rules. Just a matter of working out the punishment then.

Here's the thing, who's to say it was from his staff? Unless I'm missing someone, coaching staff is all male for example. If you go through the Front Office list, hard to place a finger on a female member that Udoka would have power over.

So, begs the question... who is considered under the "team staff" umbrella?

« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2022, 03:42:04 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Shameful that this is being blown up if it’s potentially an affair.  It’s those adults business and should be worked out between themselves.  He’s not hurting the team.  You’re telling me everyone in the C’s organization is squeaky clean?  Lol gimmie a break.

« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2022, 03:42:45 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
Part of what the Cs have to consider is even though (I'm assuming) both parties may have said it was consensual, when someone in a position of power has sexual relations with someone on their staff there's always a slippery slope. Especially in this #metoo era. The woman could always come out later and say she had been coerced (for all we know she could have), and file a lawsuit, and I think she would have a great chance. That's why inter-work relationships, especially with your staff, are never good things. Maybe 30 years ago when nobody gave a stuff but not today. Really bad judgment from Ime. It's always tough picking between your job and your love (or lust) but with that power dynamic, not to mention the fact that he was violating organization rules, he was playing with fire and he only has himself to blame for getting burned.

Here's the thing, who's to say it was from his staff? Unless I'm missing someone, coaching staff is all male for example. If you go through the Front Office list, hard to place a finger on a female member that Udoka would have power over.

Individuals potentially involved shall not be named
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 09:02:35 PM by gouki88 »

« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2022, 03:43:41 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
Shameful that this is being blown up if it’s potentially an affair.  It’s those adults business and should be worked out between themselves.  He’s not hurting the team.  You’re telling me everyone in the C’s organization is squeaky clean?  Lol gimmie a break.

The fact that it got out is interesting. I wonder who leaked it. Someone with an axe to grind or someone with a conscience, or was it a relationship going sour?

« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2022, 03:49:46 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Allison Feaster comes to mind. I'm not sure who she reports to though.

She's been around since 2020 as Vice President Player Development and Organizational Growth and not someone who'd I'd consider Udoka having power over given her resume.

If we entertain she being the other party in this case, just as an hypothetical exercise, I would expect her to face some punishment as well.

And if that's the case, the punishment should be equal right?

« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2022, 03:53:45 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White

Allison Feaster comes to mind. I'm not sure who she reports to though.

She's been around since 2020 as Vice President Player Development and Organizational Growth and not someone who'd I'd consider Udoka having power over given her resume.

If we entertain she being the other party in this case, just as an hypothetical exercise, I would expect her to face some punishment as well.

And if that's the case, the punishment should be equal right?

If both parties violated the rules, I would expect penalties for both. Though maybe the female's punishment might not take the place of a suspension if she's not involved in games, but might be monetary. As I said I'm not sure if there is precedent in the league for this and if so what penalties were levied, or what punishment the Celtics organization has for such an offense but I would imagine if both were in breach of the rules both would be punished.

If only Ime is being punished, then the organization must have determined his culpability for the entire situation in some way.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 04:03:21 AM by ozgod »

« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2022, 04:25:49 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Yeah, unless we get some really serious details on this, I'm not buying the full season suspension... that's beyond dumb for having an affair. A consensual one at that.
This seems like a naive interpretation. Power dynamics make consent murky at best and impossible at worst. It creates a terrible environment for women, with a narrative that sleeping with the coach is a way to get ahead. Having an affair with someone you have power over is a huge no-no, and will get you canned from basically any job you can think of.

I couldn't care less.
Attitudes like this have led to innumerable instances of abuses of power get swept under the rug.
No. People ignoring when someone abuses their power is what gets swept under the rug. People not caring about 2 consensual adults having an affair is just that. If other details surface on this, then sure. But all we have to go for on here is that they had a consensual affair.
Other details, such as the employer in question thinking it problematic enough for a long-term suspension?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2022, 04:44:32 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 08:54:45 PM by gouki88 »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2022, 04:49:26 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White

« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 08:55:00 PM by gouki88 »

« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2022, 05:22:47 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Tough one to put an opinion on but rules are rules.

« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2022, 05:37:50 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Suspension will make sense or people will be outraged by it soon enough.  In the meantime the only thing worth being upset about is the damper being placed on what had been the most highly anticipated season in a while.  We had and lost that excitement 5 minutes into GH’s first season and now it feels like it’s happening again before this one even starts.    I don’t really know what to hope for at this point other than some clarity about how this may impact the team.