Author Topic: Udoka Facing Suspension/Udoka to Nets??  (Read 58302 times)

Re: Udoka Facing Suspension/Udoka to Nets??
« Reply #840 on: December 08, 2022, 04:49:27 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I've seen other players who get traded mid-season or early season, and the former team that they left that won it all still got a ring. I think it applies to coaches as well, no?

That’s a bit different than a coach being indefinitely suspended prior to the start of the season.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Udoka Facing Suspension/Udoka to Nets??
« Reply #841 on: December 08, 2022, 05:11:22 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm not going back to read through everything.

Season is far from over so this is strictly hypothetical.  If the Celtics win it all and Udoka has not officially been fired yet.  He's still suspended and Mazzulla is still classified as an interim coach.  Does Udoka get a ring?

If he’s away from the team with a year long suspension and then gets fired in the off-season, I don’t see why he would get a ring.

Yes.  Not that the Celtics would voluntarily give him a ring.  Just would they be obligated if he's technically still a part of the team for the sole reason he hadn't yet been fired. 

Doesn't matter.  Was just curious.

Every ring the championship team gives out is voluntary, and paid for by the team.

Typically, there's a few levels of rings.  Players/Coaches/VIPs within the organization get the best ring.  Then managers, trainers, office people get a lower tier ring.

If a player is traded away during the season they usually get a ring, but sometimes there's issues.  Like when Rondo quit on Dallas during the playoffs in 2015, the team voted not to give him his playoff shares.  Had they actually won the championship, I have my doubts they'd give him a ring.  I think teams let the players vote on who to give rings to for players who were traded/cut/no longer with the team.  Sometimes players refuse rings, Anderson Varejao was traded away by the Cavs and then signed with GS, said he would refuse a ring if the Cavs offered him one after they won it all in 2016.

Ime's a weird situation.  If the C's ownership views Ime as having committed some heinous act with blatant disregard for the organization and he burned bridges on the way out (like by leaking to Woj), no way they give him a ring.  If they view him as an architect of the current team and only had to let him go for PR reasons, maybe they give him a ring.   If the C's want to go the high road, maybe they give him a ring. If they let the players vote, I'm sure they vote to give him a ring.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class