Author Topic: Udoka Facing Suspension/Udoka to Nets??  (Read 58354 times)

Re: Udoka Facing Suspension
« Reply #495 on: September 23, 2022, 01:11:27 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Here's the press conference in its entirety, including all the questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLuj9HL0RoU
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #496 on: September 23, 2022, 01:13:47 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I have a hard time understanding what circumstance / offense is so bad that it warrants a 12 month suspension but does not warrant being fired.

I also have a hard time accepting / trusting a serious (huge) suspension of 12 months without any real details of what wrong-doing has occured. How can one trust 12 months is appropriate without any details? Why not 1 month? why not 3 months? or 6 months? or 24 months? Or being fired?

Justice behind closed doors. No transparency. This is not good enough.

Is there any suggestion that more information will be coming in the future? That clarity over wrong-doing will be given?

I suspect that due to legal reasons there won't be any more forthcoming details. The only reason this probably even became public is because Ime had to be suspended and he's a public figure. Any other private company would keep their discipline in house. Naturally, that won't stop people from agreeing with, disagreeing with or debating the decision, and rightly so  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #497 on: September 23, 2022, 01:20:10 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I have a hard time understanding what circumstance / offense is so bad that it warrants a 12 month suspension but does not warrant being fired.

I also have a hard time accepting / trusting a serious (huge) suspension of 12 months without any real details of what wrong-doing has occured. How can one trust 12 months is appropriate without any details? Why not 1 month? why not 3 months? or 6 months? or 24 months? Or being fired?

Is there any suggestion that more information will be coming in the future? That clarity over wrong-doing will be given?

What's wrong with justice behind closed doors, particularly if the presumptive victim doesn't want to go public?  It's a private company involved in a potential lawsuit.
I'm with you on that thought, but not the next one as the 2 previous posters have said. This is not like breaking a public law. This is an internal team rule that was broken. Celtics do not owe anyone outside the team anything.

The private company part is interesting. I have to think about that.

I don't really consider the Boston Celtics and public figures within the team / coaching staff along the same lines as I do as an unknown worker in some corporate office.

These guys are such huge public figures. Especially the players. To a lesser extent the head coach & GM. We the fans pay so much money for TV subscriptions, tickets, merchandise. I expect some transparency when it involves one of these people who are part of the reason I spend so much money following the team. When it involves those guys, there should be more transparency over why such a position was taken and why this punishment is appropriate.

I don't expect the same transparency over unknown workers in a corporate office. With a worker I figure they have the court systems to go if they have been wronged.

Maybe that is wrong to view them differently but I do. A public figure you pay money to follow versus unknown workers behind closed doors.

Maybe it is wrong I don't care more about the unknown worker.

« Reply #498 on: September 23, 2022, 01:24:58 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

What's wrong with justice behind closed doors, particularly if the presumptive victim doesn't want to go public?  It's a private company involved in a potential lawsuit.
I'm with you on that thought, but not the next one as the 2 previous posters have said. This is not like breaking a public law. This is an internal team rule that was broken. Celtics do not owe anyone outside the team anything.

I don't really consider the Boston Celtics and public figures within the team / coaching staff along the same lines as I do as an unknown worker in some corporate office.

These guys are such huge public figures. Especially the players. To a lesser extent the head coach & GM. We the fans pay so much money for TV subscriptions, tickets, merchandise. I expect some transparency when it involves one of these people who are part of the reason I spend so much money following the team. When it involves those guys, there should be more transparency over why such a position was taken and why this punishment is appropriate.

I don't expect the same transparency over unknown workers in a corporate office. With a worker I figure they have the court systems to go if they have been wronged.

Maybe that is wrong to view them differently but I do. A public figure you pay money to follow versus unknown workers behind closed doors.

Well then you should adjust your expectations. This is a private company, they do not owe us any explanations. The money we pay is for watching the games and purchasing team apparel. That's it. We get what we pay for. It's a product and we receive the product. No different than paying a lot for an iPhone or an automobile or anything else. Those companies do not owe us explanations on why they take internal disciplinary actions either unless they break any laws.

« Reply #499 on: September 23, 2022, 01:29:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Well then you should adjust your expectations
. This is a private company, they do not owe us any explanations. The money we pay is for watching the games and purchasing team apparel. That's it. We get what we pay for. It's a product and we receive the product. No different than paying a lot for an iPhone or an automobile or anything else. Those companies do not owe us explanations on why they take internal disciplinary actions either unless they break any laws.

Yeah, you might be right. That is an interesting and good viewpoint - private insitution / company.

Food for thought.

« Reply #500 on: September 23, 2022, 01:37:53 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
People saying Ime was suspended because of race, must not realize what race Mozzarella is!  yeah, let's suspend him cause he's black to put another black in that role.  Really?  BTW, kudos to the C's for their handling.  Have been investigating quietly until a leaky pipe occurred and it got out.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #501 on: September 23, 2022, 02:00:47 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I be surprise if Ume return next season.. he may just resign & go somewhere else
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #502 on: September 23, 2022, 02:07:13 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
https://twitter.com/GangCeltics/status/1573363205468000256?t=2q14WpVFHUFeHW17ujPXDg&s=19

Yikes. You know its bad when Matt Barnes retracts his statement of support for Ime.

We're in for a bumpy ride, folks.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #503 on: September 23, 2022, 02:08:30 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
So an NBA player fails a drug test. The NBA suspends the player, cites the failure of the drug test, names the drugs involved and gives the suspension / punishment which I believe has been agreed to in the CBA.

DiDi Louzada of the New Orleans Pelicans has been suspended without pay for twenty-five games for violating the terms of the NBA/NBPA Anti-Drug Program by testing positive for Drostanolone and Testosterone, it was announced today by the NBA.

No idea who that suspended player was. Never heard of him before. Brazilian, 6-5 wing, played 12 career games.

I like the clarity here. They named the rule (NBA/NBPA Anti-Drug Program), they explained what the player did to violate that rule (took Drostanolone and Testosterone), and then handed out the punishment (25 games, no pay). I believe the framework for the punishment was agreed to as part of the CBA.

The Boston Celtics announced today that the team has suspended Head Coach Ime Udoka for the 2022-23 season for violations of team policies. A decision about his future with the Celtics beyond this season will be made at a later date. The suspension takes effect immediately.

Here, with Udoka, they did not name the rules broken ("violations of team policies"). Then they do not say how exactly or what exactly Ime did to break those stated rules. Then we have the punishment. They were in a tough spot because no existing framework. No insight given into how punishment was decided / determined.

« Reply #504 on: September 23, 2022, 02:12:34 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
https://twitter.com/GangCeltics/status/1573363205468000256?t=2q14WpVFHUFeHW17ujPXDg&s=19

Yikes. You know its bad when Matt Barnes retracts his statement of support for Ime.

That is the most insight anyone has given so far.

A 1 minute twitter clip with no details. And yet ... it gives you more of a feel for what happened than any of the other reports or that team press conference.

Thanks for posting that.

« Reply #505 on: September 23, 2022, 02:12:52 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Well then you should adjust your expectations. This is a private company, they do not owe us any explanations. The money we pay is for watching the games and purchasing team apparel. That's it. We get what we pay for. It's a product and we receive the product. No different than paying a lot for an iPhone or an automobile or anything else. Those companies do not owe us explanations on why they take internal disciplinary actions either unless they break any laws.

To be 100% honestly I kind of think this point is just plain wrong. Sure, its a private company. Its a private company with a significant public facing component. The product is, at least in part, the organization itself. Which makes it VERY different than the above examples mentioned. When we pay to see a game, or buy a hat part of what we're buying is association with the organization itself. That's why you see all these commercial spots fawning over the Celtics rich history because they are, in part, selling you on the organization.

So yes, they absolutely 100% do owe us an explanation. Because fans deserve to know what kind of organization they are associating themselves with. That doesn't mean we need to know every detail, the C's should not in any way out the women involved for example. But there 100% needs to be more info than "Ime did something wrong this summer."

Now maybe there are legal reasons why for now this can't be discussed further, if so fine. But failing that this is a bad look right now.

« Reply #506 on: September 23, 2022, 02:13:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
People saying Ime was suspended because of race, must not realize what race Mozzarella is!  yeah, let's suspend him cause he's black to put another black in that role.  Really?  BTW, kudos to the C's for their handling.  Have been investigating quietly until a leaky pipe occurred and it got out.

I’m definitely going to be calling him Coach Mozzarella moving forward - love it!  ;D

« Reply #507 on: September 23, 2022, 02:24:44 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

That is the most insight anyone has given so far.

A 1 minute twitter clip with no details. And yet ... it gives you more of a feel for what happened than any of the other reports or that team press conference.

Thanks for posting that.

I've always felt that there would be another shoe to drop in this situation. I'm starting to believe that the press conference was so vague because the team is preparing for legal ugliness.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #508 on: September 23, 2022, 02:27:27 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Here's the press conference in its entirety, including all the questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLuj9HL0RoU

Wow. You know what, we should all be proud of our organization today. It sounds like things went well beyond the pale here
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #509 on: September 23, 2022, 02:30:31 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484

TP

Yep, feels like there are more shoes to drop