Author Topic: Udoka Facing Suspension/Udoka to Nets??  (Read 58405 times)

Re: Udoka Facing Suspension
« Reply #435 on: September 23, 2022, 08:46:01 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Curious what transpires that a consensual relationship suddenly becomes "unwanted comments" and if these unwanted comments are considered harassment?

Regardless, not a good look for Ime and the mischaracterization of the leak as him being punished for a consensual relationship didn't do anyone any favors... except Ime, which is suspicious...

My best guess is that there was a consensual relationship and the woman involved chose to end the relationship.

I’m also gonna guess professional athletes, even retired ones, aren’t use to rejection very often and it sounds like Ime didn’t handle it like an adult.  especially since it sounds like pursuing this relationship cost him his relationship with Nia Long
Greg

« Reply #436 on: September 23, 2022, 08:51:11 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The new article in the Athletic makes it clear that the Celtics had no choice and a year year suspension is actually a light punishment. The consensual part of the relationship reportedly moved to non-consensual and then sexual harassment.

"Non-consensual" is pretty loaded.

I read it as, they dated, she called it off, and he continued to pursue the relationship, which made her uncomfortable.  We of course don't know what type of comments he was making.

That sort of thing has happened billions of times, but in a workplace, it's hazardous.  In terms of the Celtics as an organization, they're no doubt trying to shield themselves from liability, particularly after the Sarver punishment came down. 

One question I have:  if this was somebody in a lower position in the organization (i.e., a subordinate), why did the Celtics initially condone the relationship?  I'm curious what team policy is regarding that stuff.  And, if it's lateral or his partner was higher up than him, what type of comments would lead to a year suspension?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #437 on: September 23, 2022, 09:02:48 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Curious what transpires that a consensual relationship suddenly becomes "unwanted comments" and if these unwanted comments are considered harassment?

Regardless, not a good look for Ime and the mischaracterization of the leak as him being punished for a consensual relationship didn't do anyone any favors... except Ime, which is suspicious...

My best guess is that there was a consensual relationship and the woman involved chose to end the relationship.

I’m also gonna guess professional athletes, even retired ones, aren’t use to rejection very often and it sounds like Ime didn’t handle it like an adult.  especially since it sounds like pursuing this relationship cost him his relationship with Nia Long

I agree! This is the problem in many relationships, one party decides to end it, the other can't accept it.  People, just move on, it just means, the big guy upstairs has had you meet your life partner.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #438 on: September 23, 2022, 09:06:09 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Unfortunately Ime put himself before the teams and franchise even when they seemed to give him a way out.

« Reply #439 on: September 23, 2022, 09:08:08 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The new article in the Athletic makes it clear that the Celtics had no choice and a year year suspension is actually a light punishment. The consensual part of the relationship reportedly moved to non-consensual and then sexual harassment.

I read it as, they dated, she called it off, and he continued to pursue the relationship, which made her uncomfortable.  We of course don't know what type of comments he was making.

That sort of thing has happened billions of times, but in a workplace, it's hazardous.  In terms of the Celtics as an organization, they're no doubt trying to shield themselves from liability, particularly after the Sarver punishment came down. 

One question I have:  if this was somebody in a lower position in the organization (i.e., a subordinate), why did the Celtics initially condone the relationship?  I'm curious what team policy is regarding that stuff.  And, if it's lateral or his partner was higher up than him, what type of comments would lead to a year suspension?

There is no reporting that team management condoned the relationship. The more likely scenario is that they asked for assurances that it end immediately. There may have been some initial sanctions and private warnings that were not heeded. All we know is they didn't play this out in public at that point.

Udoka probably brought it to this because the team found out in July, and he continued to break faith from there.

« Reply #440 on: September 23, 2022, 09:12:28 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Finally getting a press conference.

Brian Robb
@BrianTRobb
·
6m
The Celtics will be holding a press conference today at 11am.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #441 on: September 23, 2022, 09:15:22 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Brian Robb
@BrianTRobb
·
6m

I wonder if NBC Sports Boston will televise it. I'm sure The Sports Hub will have it on radio.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #442 on: September 23, 2022, 09:25:57 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

There is no reporting that team management condoned the relationship. The more likely scenario is that they asked for assurances that it end immediately. There may have been some initial sanctions and private warnings that were not heeded. All we know is they didn't play this out in public at that point.

Udoka probably brought it to this because the team found out in July, and he continued to break faith from there.

Here's the reporting:

Quote from: The Athletic
Some members of the Celtics organization first became aware of the relationship in July, sources said. At that time, team leadership was led to believe by both parties that the relationship was consensual. But sources said that the woman recently accused Udoka of making unwanted comments toward her — leading the team to launch a set of internal interviews.

If Udoka was told to immediately end the relationship, I assume that that would have been reported.  We don't know that for certain, but it would be a weird thing to leave out.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #443 on: September 23, 2022, 09:40:57 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Is there really any point to throwing out there womens' names?

It's still all speculatory (and a bit cringeworthy) and at the end of the day, does it matter one bit to anyone on here?
The woman's status could matter.  Is she a young intern?  Is she married to someone else in the org?  Where is she in the organizational structure in relation to Udoka? 

« Reply #444 on: September 23, 2022, 09:43:00 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

It's still all speculatory (and a bit cringeworthy) and at the end of the day, does it matter one bit to anyone on here?
The woman's status could matter.  Is she a young intern?  Is she married to someone else in the org?  Where is she in the organizational structure in relation to Udoka?

It shouldn’t matter, because if people find out who she is, she’s going to get publicly harassed, which will keep others who experience this from coming forward in the future.

« Reply #445 on: September 23, 2022, 09:45:23 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

if there's any truth to people in the C's organization knowing about the relationship and allowing it as consensual (initially), it would suggest that this involved someone who wasn't married or in a position that he could influence necessarily.  no way the C's would sanction a relationship with a married co-worker (not getting into infidelity morality but the issues with this type of relationship involving a married person is an obvious issue in the workplace) nor a relationship where Ime had influence over this person.

« Reply #446 on: September 23, 2022, 09:56:20 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Well the more we wait the more we are seeing that unfortunately Ime made some irresponsible choices.  He put the C's in a difficult position.  IMO the reason he's not outright fired yet are due to a few things.

1) they need to make sure they are following labor law and fair employee practices.  If they don't they can't open themselves up to discrimination on Ime's since and negligence from the woman's since and would have to deal with lawsuits.  If a civil suit is filed it's difficult to not have to pay something.  So the team gets drug through the mud if they fight it and they are perceived to be guilty if they pay it.

2) Depending on how bad the situation is do they give him a chance to seek therapy and return to the team.  Will the players trust him.  How about the front office?  I just don't see a circumstance where he can return and not be judged every day when he walks through that door.  I'm sure both parties will be judged for cheating but can anyone trust Ime again?  In normal circumstances both parties could be fired and they move on.

« Reply #447 on: September 23, 2022, 09:57:21 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

Brian Robb
@BrianTRobb
·
6m

Does anyone here think that we will learn anything from this press conference? They will be vague, then refuse to answer Juicy Qs.

A waste of time.

« Reply #448 on: September 23, 2022, 09:58:40 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
New details have emerged surrounding Celtics head coach Ime Udoka’s “improper” relationship with a staff member, which on Thursday led to him being suspended for the entire 2022-23 season.

News broke of the scandal broke on Thursday, with reports that the coach had a consensual affair with a female member of the Celtics’ staff. However, The Athletic reported that the team became aware of the relationship all the way back in July – and it was only after Udoka made “unwanted comments” toward the woman that they got involved.

https://nypost.com/2022/09/23/ime-udoka-made-unwanted-comments-towards-female-celtics-staffer/amp/

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #449 on: September 23, 2022, 10:02:43 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

if there's any truth to people in the C's organization knowing about the relationship and allowing it as consensual (initially), it would suggest that this involved someone who wasn't married or in a position that he could influence necessarily.  no way the C's would sanction a relationship with a married co-worker (not getting into infidelity morality but the issues with this type of relationship involving a married person is an obvious issue in the workplace) nor a relationship where Ime had influence over this person.

That’s my impression of it.  Just because you’re lower on the pay scale doesn’t mean you’re a subordinate.   If Ime and someone that works in the Celtics payroll department are having a relationship, it’s not like Ime can go to Celtics management and get her fired, at least not without raising some serious red flags on himself.
Greg