Author Topic: Udoka Facing Suspension/Udoka to Nets??  (Read 58216 times)

Re: Udoka Facing Suspension
« Reply #315 on: September 22, 2022, 06:43:12 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
This is ridiculous nonsense.

A consensual romantic relationship? All this noise over a consensual relationship?

You are going to severely damage the team over this!

There is no need for any of this nonsense. This is purely created by team ownership and is screwing over everyone. They are screwing over the fans, the players, the coaching staff ... Udoka and whoever he is having a romantic relationship with (oh the horror of it all).

p--- off. Play the game. Leave all this nonsense aside. Let people live their personal lives. No crime has been committed. No great offense. People are entitled to their private lives. Team ownership needs to keep their busy-bodying noses out of it.

Unless the team had bans on this stuff and Udoka agreed to those bans as part of his contract. In which case it is the team's business and the Cs have the right to discipline him.

No company (basketball team) has the right to tell its employees what they can do in their private lives outside of work. These rules / laws are ridiculous and they need to be eliminated.

Companies are and should be free to make such rules for what happens on company property during company time but they should have no right to tell people who they can or cannot date outside of work.

This whole thing is ridiculous. It is stupid that these rules exist in the first place and are common in our society. And it is intensely stupid that a business is willing to shoot itself in the foot (suspend Udoka for 1yr) for such a stupid rule.

Phoenix was just fined $10m and their owner being pressured to sell based on how they treated female employees (amongst other things).  Dallas was fined $10m for similar issues with female employees.  These environments didn't just start out of the blue.

This situation is the Celtics nipping that in the bud saying we don't ever want to get to that, and putting the world on notice of that too.

"Consensual" doesn't make it okay from a team/business perspective. 

Now anything that happens at work with that employee is tainted.  Promotion, praise, criticism, raises, firings, favorable/unfavorable work assignments, all touched with the brush of that relationship.  You can never know if anything at work had to do with the relationship or not. 

And not just for the employee in question, but all the emploee's co-workers too.  Because if I got passed over for a promotion, fired, laid off, no raise, bad work assignment, etc., and you didn't, and you just happen to sleep with one of the more powerful people in the organization, I'm going to have some questions and wonder if it's because I'm not sleeping with a boss.

Also consensual today can turn grey tomorrow.  Bad breakups is a thing.   Ya we started a consensual relationship last month, but now I want to end things and you don't, but I'm worried I'm going to lose my job.  Or what if you cheat on me or I cheat on you? If our relationship doesn't work out for any reason and I ever get fired/laid off, I might have to go talk to a lawyer.

There's a reason so many companies have rules against this sort of thing.

I’m not ok with making a woman who consensually ALSO chose to have a workplace relationship’s  as the “victim”. She had poor judgment just like Ime.

It’s good to wait for details.  But as an example, would you say that Bill Clinton and Monica were equal in responsibility and lack of judgment?   Isn’t it sometimes more incumbent upon the person in a power position to act responsibly?  I do see a perpetrator-victim dynamic with Bill and Monica. Perhaps you don't. It remains to be seen whether I’ll see the Ime situation in a similar way.

« Reply #316 on: September 22, 2022, 06:44:26 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

A consensual romantic relationship? All this noise over a consensual relationship?

There is no need for any of this nonsense. This is purely created by team ownership and is screwing over everyone. They are screwing over the fans, the players, the coaching staff ... Udoka and whoever he is having a romantic relationship with (oh the horror of it all).

p--- off. Play the game. Leave all this nonsense aside. Let people live their personal lives. No crime has been committed. No great offense. People are entitled to their private lives. Team ownership needs to keep their busy-bodying noses out of it.

Unless the team had bans on this stuff and Udoka agreed to those bans as part of his contract. In which case it is the team's business and the Cs have the right to discipline him.

No company (basketball team) has the right to tell its employees what they can do in their private lives outside of work. These rules / laws are ridiculous and they need to be eliminated.

Companies are and should be free to make such rules for what happens on company property during company time but they should have no right to tell people who they can or cannot date outside of work.

This whole thing is ridiculous. It is stupid that these rules exist in the first place and are common in our society. And it is intensely stupid that a business is willing to shoot itself in the foot (suspend Udoka for 1yr) for such a stupid rule.

Phoenix was just fined $10m and their owner being pressured to sell based on how they treated female employees (amongst other things).  Dallas was fined $10m for similar issues with female employees.  These environments didn't just start out of the blue.

This situation is the Celtics nipping that in the bud saying we don't ever want to get to that, and putting the world on notice of that too.

"Consensual" doesn't make it okay from a team/business perspective. 

Now anything that happens at work with that employee is tainted.  Promotion, praise, criticism, raises, firings, favorable/unfavorable work assignments, all touched with the brush of that relationship.  You can never know if anything at work had to do with the relationship or not. 

And not just for the employee in question, but all the emploee's co-workers too.  Because if I got passed over for a promotion, fired, laid off, no raise, bad work assignment, etc., and you didn't, and you just happen to sleep with one of the more powerful people in the organization, I'm going to have some questions and wonder if it's because I'm not sleeping with a boss.

Also consensual today can turn grey tomorrow.  Bad breakups is a thing.   Ya we started a consensual relationship last month, but now I want to end things and you don't, but I'm worried I'm going to lose my job.  Or what if you cheat on me or I cheat on you? If our relationship doesn't work out for any reason and I ever get fired/laid off, I might have to go talk to a lawyer.

There's a reason so many companies have rules against this sort of thing.

I’m not ok with making a woman who consensually ALSO chose to have a workplace relationship’s  as the “victim”. She had poor judgment just like Ime.

One point of these workplace policies is because many times there is an uneven power dynamic that can blur the line between consensual and nonconsensual.  With the head coach of a basketball team, that power dynamic is certainly present. 

« Reply #317 on: September 22, 2022, 06:47:32 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Starting to feel like the Celtics found out, told Ime to end it and Ime didn’t. Woj said tonight that there has been a breakdown in trust between the organization and Ime.

Either that or Ime lied when asked about the relationship.

« Reply #318 on: September 22, 2022, 06:48:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If C's come out and say it's just a 10-25 game suspension, I'ld be okay with that.

You can't sign a contract where it is written that a code of ethics at the job prohibits having personal, romantic relationships with your co-workers, then have a personal, romantic relationship with a co-worker and not expect consequences for doing so.

A year is a lot, seems Draconian, but given what happened to Sarver, I get it. A 10-25 game suspension seems more in line given it was a consensual relationship and a one time thing, meaning he wasn't sleeping around with multiple women in the office not that they only slept together once, though if they only did sleep together once and stopped knowing it was wrong, that might help Ime's case of not needing a Draconian punishment.

And this is all based on leaked and incomplete news. If when the Celtics address this we get news that complicates things, I reserve the right to change this opinion.

« Reply #319 on: September 22, 2022, 06:53:27 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
If C's come out and say it's just a 10-25 game suspension, I'ld be okay with that.

You can't sign a contract where it is written that a code of ethics at the job prohibits having personal, romantic relationships with your co-workers, then have a personal, romantic relationship with a co-worker and not expect consequences for doing so.

A year is a lot, seems Draconian, but given what happened to Sarver, I get it. A 10-25 game suspension seems more in line given it was a consensual relationship and a one time thing, meaning he wasn't sleeping around with multiple women in the office not that they only slept together once, though if they only did sleep together once and stopped knowing it was wrong, that might help Ime's case of not needing a Draconian punishment.

And this is all based on leaked and incomplete news. If when the Celtics address this we get news that complicates things, I reserve the right to change this opinion.

This is what bugs me about the Woj report.  He essentially sets the bar at a year and now if Wyc announces a 20-game suspension it gives the impression that they’ve  lightened the suspension.  Meanwhile the truth might simply be that 24 hours ago they hadn’t yet made a decision.

« Reply #320 on: September 22, 2022, 06:53:59 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Starting to feel like the Celtics found out, told Ime to end it and Ime didn’t. Woj said tonight that there has been a breakdown in trust between the organization and Ime.

Either that or Ime lied when asked about the relationship.

If that's the case, and he's refusing to resign, they would probably have a long, drawn out legal fight if they try to fire him so the 1 year suspension makes sense.

« Reply #321 on: September 22, 2022, 06:56:12 PM »

Offline BackDoorCut

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
If Ime gets a year I'm done with this organization. Two consenting adults. What a joke. I would suspect that'd be it for JB as well as he was an Ime champion for the job, thrown in trade rumors all summer, not too mention our bench is garbage despite having a "green light" to spend. Which would in turn lead to JT probably leaving. Hopefully Wyc & Co don't overreact, there's about 5 years of prior progress, and another 10 of future at stake here.

« Reply #322 on: September 22, 2022, 07:07:01 PM »

Offline scottwedman

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
If Ime gets a year I'm done with this organization. Two consenting adults. What a joke. I would suspect that'd be it for JB as well as he was an Ime champion for the job, thrown in trade rumors all summer, not too mention our bench is garbage despite having a "green light" to spend. Which would in turn lead to JT probably leaving. Hopefully Wyc & Co don't overreact, there's about 5 years of prior progress, and another 10 of future at stake here.

Take it for what it's worth, but some folks are insisting it involved a a Celtics employee AND a wife of a Celtics employee.  That ish gets people killed.  I remember when Andrew Bynum was caught sleeping with the wife of an Assistant Coach - that is hard to overcome.

« Reply #323 on: September 22, 2022, 07:15:44 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Welcome to cancel culture. This is what everyone wanted. Now you got it.  As much as i hate POS like carver. I don't want anyone forced out of owning teams,  because it become an extremely slippery slope.

« Reply #324 on: September 22, 2022, 07:20:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Take it for what it's worth, but some folks are insisting it involved a a Celtics employee AND a wife of a Celtics employee.  That ish gets people killed.  I remember when Andrew Bynum was caught sleeping with the wife of an Assistant Coach - that is hard to overcome.

Made up rumor.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #325 on: September 22, 2022, 07:30:00 PM »

Offline BackDoorCut

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48

Everything other than what comes from Woj or Shams is hearsay. Who cares if someone was cheating. it takes two to tango and if you're both consenting adults that's just the way she goes. Sounds like other individuals have some housecleaning to do in their own relationships.

« Reply #326 on: September 22, 2022, 07:32:09 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

I get this.
In a perfect world they had a consensual, non-coercive, clean breakup relationship. Maybe 25 games is OK.
But if anything ever happens again the C's will be accused of a light punishment not sufficiently detering the activity.

« Reply #327 on: September 22, 2022, 07:38:15 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79

I think if it was JUST two SINGLE consenting adults sure it would be fine.

But to this point we are aware of TWO married Celtics staffers and one being married to a senior VP and that the team’s code of conduct was violated multiple times.

Ime was asked to stop on various occasions and everything would have been kept silent but he refused.

This really is about embarrassing the organization/senior executives and an employee not following the teams code of conduct and banging married staffers.

C’s owners have every right to terminate but choose not to probably to avoid paying extra money and also maybe because the staffers marriages were already rocky and known to be?

Ime by all accounts was single at the time?

« Reply #328 on: September 22, 2022, 07:39:05 PM »

Offline MickaelPietrus

• NGT
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
So why in the world are you guys saying Ime let everyone down before actually knowing for sure what happened? If it's just a consensual relationship with a work mate this is being blown out of proportion.

« Reply #329 on: September 22, 2022, 07:40:34 PM »

Offline MickaelPietrus

• NGT
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8

I think if it was JUST two SINGLE consenting adults sure it would be fine.

But to this point we are aware of TWO married Celtics staffers and one being married to a senior VP and that the team’s code of conduct was violated multiple times.

Ime was asked to stop on various occasions and everything would have been kept silent but he refused.

This really is about embarrassing the organization/senior executives and an employee not following the teams code of conduct and banging married staffers.

C’s owners have every right to terminate but choose not to probably to avoid paying extra money and also maybe because the staffers marriages were already rocky and known to be?

Ime by all accounts was single at the time?

Where did you get all this information? Reputable sources? lol