Author Topic: Luka coming to camp!  (Read 3575 times)

Re: Luka coming to camp!
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2022, 08:40:21 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
This clip perfectly encapsulates why the Spurs cut Šamanić loose so early and most likely why the Knicks didn’t re-sign him after playing for their G-League affiliate.

Wow, that is gross. Ime would not go for that.

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2022, 09:00:50 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
His G-League stats last year were pretty ridiculous for a 6’10 forward who just turned 22.  28/10.5/3 as part of the 50/40/90 club.  There’s some talent there.
In only seven games as I understand it. He is younger and taller and can probably shoot better than Caboclo. The technical term for this is taking a flyer. I think they hope he ends up as a younger version of Daniel Theis but who shoots better. We’ll see.

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2022, 09:03:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
His G-League stats last year were pretty ridiculous for a 6’10 forward who just turned 22.  28/10.5/3 as part of the 50/40/90 club.  There’s some talent there.
In only seven games as I understand it. He is younger and taller and can probably shoot better than Caboclo. The technical term for this is taking a flyer. I think they hope he ends up as a younger version of Daniel Theis but who shoots better. We’ll see.

Most likely this is to get him onto the Maine roster, which would be fine with me.  I'm not sure how the rules work with that precisely, but I know that we retain the G-League rights for a certain number of camp invitees who end up cut.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2022, 09:06:08 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
Garbage patch Lauri Markkanen?

It seems he has more upside than Bruno, even if it’s just being younger.

Guys without a motor seldom acquire one, but it does happen occasionally. Maybe Ime knows something from his Spurs connection?

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2022, 09:21:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I recall him being a complete jerk. Hopefully my memory is wrong
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2022, 09:37:07 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

Most likely this is to get him onto the Maine roster, which would be fine with me.  I'm not sure how the rules work with that precisely, but I know that we retain the G-League rights for a certain number of camp invitees who end up cut.

Correct, we would have first dibs on him for Maine if no one claims him after we waive him (that team could subsequently waive him and still get dibs).

He’s also 2-way eligible if Davison or (more likely) Kabengele earn a promotion coming out of camp.

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2022, 10:19:16 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Luka should've been a second round pick as a project but SA used a first on him. He could still become a solid player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HIrbAuF4uA
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 10:34:06 PM by liam »

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2022, 10:44:59 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

The big issue for him was effort.  It wasn’t there enough for Pop.  The preseason game before he was cut he basically just stood and watched on a breakaway that he easily could have attempted to defend, and based on the Spurs blog this was not a first-time offense.  Obviously he won’t last long under Udoka if he hasn’t grown from his experience.  But we should also remember he was a young international draftee who went straight to the NBA and had his first two seasons completely interrupted by Covid, so extenuating circumstances exist.  He looked very good briefly with the G-League Knicks on a 2-way last year, before plantar fasciitis ended his season after 8 games.

I don’t think he makes the 15-man roster, but I also imagine the Celtics called the Spurs for the scoop.  A 2-way is not impossible if Kabengele wins a full roster spot or Samanic outplays him.  He’s still very young — a few months younger than Nesmith and Romeo, for comparison.  Definitely time to turn his career around, and the talent is absolutely there.

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2022, 01:06:14 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

The big issue for him was effort.  It wasn’t there enough for Pop.  The preseason game before he was cut he basically just stood and watched on a breakaway that he easily could have attempted to defend, and based on the Spurs blog this was not a first-time offense.  Obviously he won’t last long under Udoka if he hasn’t grown from his experience.  But we should also remember he was a young international draftee who went straight to the NBA and had his first two seasons completely interrupted by Covid, so extenuating circumstances exist.  He looked very good briefly with the G-League Knicks on a 2-way last year, before plantar fasciitis ended his season after 8 games.

I don’t think he makes the 15-man roster, but I also imagine the Celtics called the Spurs for the scoop.  A 2-way is not impossible if Kabengele wins a full roster spot or Samanic outplays him.  He’s still very young — a few months younger than Nesmith and Romeo, for comparison.  Definitely time to turn his career around, and the talent is absolutely there.
Jeez, younger than Nesmith - feels like his name has been around forever. Given he's still a kid he deserves every chance to redeem himself. Hopefully he turns into Kristaps here :)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2022, 08:20:19 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
So the roster is

Tatum
Brown
Brogdan
Williams
Williams
Smart
White
Al
Pritchard
Hauser
Kornet
Kabengale

Then three more of the garbage camp invites:
I will go with:

Layman
Vonleah
Jackson

Valentine, Luka kick rocks

Having to play Hauser and Kornet regular important rotation minutes is a scary proposition. Neither are ready nor good enough for that.
Gallo is still on the roster.

Among the camp invites, Noah Vonleh has the most NBA experience (339 games). Layman, Jackson and Valentine are all around 250-range. I give the edge to Vonleh also because he plays a position of great need.

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2022, 08:22:02 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
So the roster is

Tatum
Brown
Brogdan
Williams
Williams
Smart
White
Al
Pritchard
Hauser
Kornet
Kabengale

Then three more of the garbage camp invites:
I will go with:

Layman
Vonleah
Jackson

Valentine, Luka kick rocks

Having to play Hauser and Kornet regular important rotation minutes is a scary proposition. Neither are ready nor good enough for that.
Gallo is still on the roster.

Yep.  And Kabengele doesn't count against our 15 player limit, as he (and Davison) are on two-ways.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2022, 07:38:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Jared Weiss: The Celtics are waiving Luka Samanic, sources tell @The Athletic. Samanic is expected to join the Maine Celtics in the G League. – via Twitter JaredWeissNBA

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2022, 07:40:54 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Jared Weiss: The Celtics are waiving Luka Samanic, sources tell @The Athletic. Samanic is expected to join the Maine Celtics in the G League. – via Twitter JaredWeissNBA

Glad he’s planning on going to Maine at least.  It’d be nice if he could become a useful bench player down the road — the skill and physical abilities are both there.

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2022, 07:47:38 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Glad he’s planning on going to Maine at least.  It’d be nice if he could become a useful bench player down the road — the skill and physical abilities are both there.

I would've liked to see him play a little in preseason but....

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2022, 08:05:08 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Good luck to the dude.  He didn’t do much in preseason but get packed on twice by Kai Jones though, lol.  Don’t think we’re missing out on much in the short term.