Author Topic: Vonleh  (Read 3055 times)

Re: Vonleh
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2022, 11:09:52 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Boston Celtics
@celtics

As the NBA's preseason leader in rebounds and field-goal percentage, North Shore native Noah Vonleh is making the most of his opportunity with the hometown team.

https://twitter.com/celtics/status/1579212780011679744?s=20&t=70LsGPxMzG14MSjKNMT1Ug

I am not sure what this means exactly.  I guess it means that the Celtics are happy with what Vonleh has done so far?  I have been pretty happy with what I have seen from him.  I hope he realizes that he needs to make the most of this opportunity.  He could be running out of NBA real estate.

I would like to see a little more intensity out of him.  I know some players aren't all rah rah and I guess Vonleh is just more laid back but I don't see the intensity you expect to see.  When I see him play, I wonder if he loves basketball.

Even the version he has been so far through preseason is a player who can help us, especially with RWill out.  I sense there is more there though, if you could just figure out how to unlock it.

Yeah, IDK. Celtics media team put that on their twitter page. Just thought it was interesting that he is the preseason leader for most rebounds and the highest FG%. I was surprised to see that.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2022, 11:18:23 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2022, 11:29:26 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think he’s the obvious choice, because he’s producing.  I think that’s why he’ll make the roster.

But (with the caveat that I missed almost all of the second half last game) I don’t see a lot of potential in him.  He’s not a pup.  He’s been around a half-decade, and in a fight for his livelihood, he came out and played the worst half of effortless, ole defense I’ve ever seen.

I’d still sign Boogie or Whiteside or Favors if he becomes available.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2022, 11:43:24 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
I think he’s the obvious choice, because he’s producing.  I think that’s why he’ll make the roster.

But (with the caveat that I missed almost all of the second half last game) I don’t see a lot of potential in him.  He’s not a pup.  He’s been around a half-decade, and in a fight for his livelihood, he came out and played the worst half of effortless, ole defense I’ve ever seen.

I missed the 1st Q, but saw the rest of the game. Sounds like he was really bad early on and improved as the game progressed. Thought he looked good overall. I know Vonleh recently turned 27, but I still think he has some upside whereas with Kornet I see none.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2022, 11:57:37 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

Yeah, these are not mutually exclusive.  I have felt all along that Vonleh is a decent option as a bench big.  Better than Kornet.  Better than Kabengele.  But that doesn't mean we don't also sign another vet that may come available.

Cousins and Whiteside are two interesting options.  I am surprised neither has signed.  It sounds like Cousins really wants to sign but no one wants him.  Baggage, lack of consistency, whatever, but 30 teams including all contenders have passed on him, or at least that is the inference from his comments the other day.  That he does not have even a single offer.

But I wonder if that is the same for Whiteside.  He does not seem to be a baggage guy, at least not in the Cousins league.  8 pts and 8 rebs in 18 min for Utah last season.  That is really good for a back up center.  If it really is that 30 teams are passing on Whiteside, there must be something to it but it is not clear to me what the problem is.  He could be a starter in Boston until RWill gets back.  That seems like a perfect opportunity for him.

Maybe he has made enough money ($105M if you were wondering) and just doesn't want to do it anymore.

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2022, 01:26:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

I missed the 1st Q, but saw the rest of the game. Sounds like he was really bad early on and improved as the game progressed. Thought he looked good overall. I know Vonleh recently turned 27, but I still think he has some upside whereas with Kornet I see none.

He looked like he was still learning the defense.

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2022, 05:50:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

He looked like he was still learning that defense is something played in the NBA.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2022, 05:58:02 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

He looked like he was still learning that defense is something played in the NBA.
or that the very concept of defense exists.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2022, 09:13:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

So what you're saying is that we've signed Amare? Nice!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)