Author Topic: Should we tank?  (Read 2178 times)

Re: Should we tank?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2022, 06:14:34 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
If Tatum or Brown goes down sure tank a season. Warriors did it then came back and won a chip. They extended their competition window doing it.

Ok mark it down fellas. September 20th is officially the date that some fans lost it. A thread on tanking cause our 4th best player is missing 3 weeks of action….. I know this was started in jest by roy but the people saying we should tank off there is an injury to brown or Tatum good grief. If Tatum got hurt the team still has brown, smart, brodgon, white, Rob Williams, Horford, grant Williams… I mean come on.

Totally agree, although I must say I’m feeling better about having taken the under on the Celtics at 54.5 wins last month.  My disappointment has been successfully hedged.

Gambling works in funny ways, doesn't it?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2022, 06:15:21 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
If Tatum or Brown goes down sure tank a season. Warriors did it then came back and won a chip. They extended their competition window doing it.

Ok mark it down fellas. September 20th is officially the date that some fans lost it. A thread on tanking cause our 4th best player is missing 3 weeks of action….. I know this was started in jest by roy but the people saying we should tank off there is an injury to brown or Tatum good grief. If Tatum got hurt the team still has brown, smart, brodgon, white, Rob Williams, Horford, grant Williams… I mean come on.

Totally agree, although I must say I’m feeling better about having taken the under on the Celtics at 54.5 wins last month.  My disappointment has been successfully hedged.
In the predict the Celtics wins next season thread, I went with 55 and many questioned why such a low number.

They now have their answer(though I gave it at the time too).

55 would be the absolute worst number for me, so I hope you were a shade too optimistic!

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2022, 06:17:41 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Gambling works in funny ways, doesn't it?

Yep, $25 to hopefully not let me freak out at the refs every game.  If I catch myself rooting for the C’s to lose, however, that’ll be the end of this experiment.

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2022, 08:16:21 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

In the predict the Celtics wins next season thread, I went with 55 and many questioned why such a low number.

They now have their answer(though I gave it at the time too).

55 would be the absolute worst number for me, so I hope you were a shade too optimistic!
Only 2 teams in basketball won 55 or more games last season.  The Suns were 64-18 and the Grizzlies were 56-26.  The Warriors and Heat were both 53-29, Mavs were 52-30 and the Celtics and Bucks were 51-31.  That is it for 50 win teams.  Unless Giannis is a man possessed this season, I think there is a good chance that not a single team in the East wins 55 games.  The Bucks have the best chance, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't get there at all.  The East has a bunch of solid teams at the top and I think that keeps win totals down some.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2022, 08:22:50 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
With this bench and the history of injuries Boston has with certain important players…third best in the east.

After brogdan, white and grant the bench is full of guys that should never see the court unless of a blow out.

I don’t see the logic in counting on Kornet and Hauser for major rotation minutes. They are career g league players that offer zero to a team that should contend.

Not only health is a factor, but we need to ensure these guys their chemistry is good and they've been working out on their games all summer. Hope to see no more 16-turnover Celtics this upcoming season.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2022, 03:00:06 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
This team is the title favorites for a reason. Even if we hobbled through the entire season with injuries, we would still be good enough to be a play-in tourney team. If healthy at that point, we could run the tables and become the first ever 7th or 8th seed to win it all. We are that good. Even if both JT and JB both went down, we’re probably still a top ten team in the East. Tanking is just not an option.

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2022, 03:13:39 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Just a little humor based upon past overreactions.

But, I've got to say, my confidence level has taken a hit in the gut.  A couple of months ago, it looked like we were going into the season with a fully healthy team, adding two huge components in Brogdon and Gallo, and on the verge of signing Thomas Bryant.  Now, we've got no Gallo, no Bryant, Timelord is going to miss the start of the season, and our backup center is Luke Kornet.

Didn't last time we were supposed to tank we get Isaiah Thomas mid year leading us to a playoff birth? LOL.

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2022, 03:44:36 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
With the wrist slitting going on right now, tanking probably looks good to some folks  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2022, 02:59:43 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
I think wyc read this thread and agrees