Author Topic: NBA Eligibility likely reduced from 19 to 18 for 2024 draft  (Read 7474 times)

Re: NBA Eligibility likely reduced from 19 to 18 for 2024 draft
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2022, 05:00:45 AM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
Controversial opinion, but the faster the NBA can do their part to take money out of college athletics, the better.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2022, 09:58:53 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
This will definitely make the drafts deeper but look at how many top highschool prospects bust in college.  Its definitely going to push good players down the board and out of the lottery.  This is going to help teams in the 20s find studs.  I'm glad its coming back.  The 1 and done just didn't make sense.

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2022, 10:00:19 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Controversial opinion, but the faster the NBA can do their part to take money out of college athletics, the better.

Works for me.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2022, 10:44:19 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
It will be interesting to see if teams draft as many high schoolers as they have been 1-and-dones.  In 2004 there were 8 high schoolers drafted (all in the first) and in 2005 there were nine drafted (3 1sts, 6 2nds), and only 18 total for the 6 drafts prior.  Now there are that many 1-and-dones taken in the lottery.

It's also interesting to look at the names taken -- in that 2004 1st round, which is what caused owners to move to get rid of high schoolers in the draft with 8 having been selected -- they were pretty good selections.  Howard went 1st, which was an obvious hit.  Livingston went 4th, and but for his terrible knee injury that pick would have probably looked good, considering how useful he was in the second half of his career.  Robert Swift and Sebastian Telfair were duds at 12 and 13, but at 15 we have Big Al Jefferson, 17 Josh Smith, 18 JR Smith, and 19 Dorell Wright.  That's a pretty good success rate for picks.  A superstar, two guys who probably deserved an all-star nod at least once in their career (Al and Smith) and three others who were starters/rotation players for at least a decade, with two playing key roles on championship teams.

Teams did a good job selecting the correct high schoolers the last time around -- it's curious to see what will happen this time.

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2022, 03:05:29 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I would prefer they just keep it as is. Think it leads to a better product for the nba and college. Sure there were the superstars like howard and kobe and Lebron, but also the Robert swift, Sebastian telfair, Gerald greens and desagna diops who all probably would have benefitted from some college.

I think if they improve the G League it could work well.  Some sort of MLB-style service time rules, such that a team can keep a draftee in the G-league for a year without accruing service time, but the player still gets that 1st round money after that G-league stint.  In other words, you draft a guy, sign him to a contract, but the contract has a clause that essentially lets the team defer it for a year while the player is in the G league, where maybe he gets a salary that's a little more substantial than the G-League's $25k or what have you.  The following year the contract takes effect, virtually no exceptions outside of league suspension, adjusted upwards for increases in the cap.  The team has to decide before the start of the regular season the year the player is drafted.  Teams can play the draftees who are ready and develop the ones who aren't, but the kids still ultimately get their contract too.

I don't imagine that's what's going to happen, but something along these lines is not impossible, as the NBA has been putting more resources into the G League recently, with the G League Ignite being the biggest example.

I like the idea of some sort of lengthening of the rookie contract for teenagers. To simplify I would just add a repeat the first year of the rookie contract until the season when a player turns 20.

I would also give every team one roster space out side of the normal 15 + 2 (2 ways) for teenage players. Leaving a roster spot for a vet while giving teams space to hold onto developmental prospects.   

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2022, 03:19:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Is this the Bronny rule…….to get him in the NBA  on a team with his father ASAP ?

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2022, 04:28:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Is this the Bronny rule…….to get him in the NBA  on a team with his father ASAP ?
He is eligible for that draft anyway.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2022, 05:32:50 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
Draft 18 year olds and target them for the G League.  G League pay until they are called up to the NBA team.   Any games during the season on the NBA team roster they get a prorated salary/game based on their pick in the 1st round.  If they get sent back down to the G League during the season their salary reverts back to their G League salary.  If selected in the 2nd round nothing is guaranteed.  If the kid makes the NBA team his salary is negotiated.  If he doesn't make it to the NBA he continues with his G League salary.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 07:16:32 PM by Silas »
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2022, 11:02:09 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Draft 18 year olds and target them for the G League.  G League pay until they are called up to the NBA team.   Any games during the season on the NBA team roster they get a prorated salary/game based on their pick in the 1st round.  If they get sent back down to the G League during the season their salary reverts back to their G League salary.  If selected in the 2nd round nothing is guaranteed.  If the kid makes the NBA team his salary is negotiated.  If he doesn't make it to the NBA he continues with his G League salary.

tough part with that is a player draft by a good team likely looses an entire season in the G-League but if that same player is drafted by a rebuilding team he gets NBA minutes and more importantly money. This works for the 2-way system because the players are free to sign where they want but with a drafted prospect they are locked in to their situation.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2022, 11:11:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

tough part with that is a player draft by a good team likely looses an entire season in the G-League but if that same player is drafted by a rebuilding team he gets NBA minutes and more importantly money. This works for the 2-way system because the players are free to sign where they want but with a drafted prospect they are locked in to their situation.
They should get the NBA money regardless (and the years should tick off as well), but I do think you could only have it count against the cap for the games they are on the NBA roster as opposed to the GLeague roster.  Let teams have like 3 or 4 players that are NBA rosters, but playing in the GLeague.  That way they can sign guys to guaranteed deals but let them mature in the GLeague. 

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2022, 04:28:04 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
I like the idea of letting anybody be drafted immediately after turning 18 or graduating high school, whichever happens first. I never liked forcing talent to essentially work for a year at a college for virtually nothing compared to the value they generate for the college, all while bearing a lot of risk of getting injured and missing out on a promising career. Colleges should solely rely on and profit from amateur basketball talent, not rent-free-for-a-year professional basketball talent.

I also like the idea of rookie contracts that end when a player turns 25, with team options only available after age 22, so the youngest players are given more time to blossom into starters (and so teams do their due diligence before drafting someone who’s 17/18).

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2022, 09:02:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I like the idea of letting anybody be drafted immediately after turning 18 or graduating high school, whichever happens first. I never liked forcing talent to essentially work for a year at a college for virtually nothing compared to the value they generate for the college, all while bearing a lot of risk of getting injured and missing out on a promising career. Colleges should solely rely on and profit from amateur basketball talent, not rent-free-for-a-year professional basketball talent.

I also like the idea of rookie contracts that end when a player turns 25, with team options only available after age 22, so the youngest players are given more time to blossom into starters (and so teams do their due diligence before drafting someone who’s 17/18).
I prefer a year be added after a player graduates high school before being drafted.  filters out the wannabes that shouldn't be drafted or drafted in a high slot.  no issue with those players skipping college to go to the G league for a year and then be draft eligible.

if they do go back to drafting out of high school, would like to see the rookie deals have a non-guaranteed final year to allow teams to cut a flop loose.

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2022, 09:42:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I prefer a year be added after a player graduates high school before being drafted.  filters out the wannabes that shouldn't be drafted or drafted in a high slot.  no issue with those players skipping college to go to the G league for a year and then be draft eligible.

if they do go back to drafting out of high school, would like to see the rookie deals have a non-guaranteed final year to allow teams to cut a flop loose.
the contracts already have that.  that is why there are all those options that are picked up around Halloween.

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2022, 10:41:18 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

the contracts already have that.  that is why there are all those options that are picked up around Halloween.
I misspoke.  I was trying to convey that I wanted something closer to what football has in terms of being able to cut a player and all financial ties.  granted, a team option at the end of the deal is similar.