Author Topic: Anthony Edwards posts anti-gay slurs on social media  (Read 6575 times)

Re: Anthony Edwards posts anti-gay slurs on social media
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2022, 11:06:34 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
saw the title and thought, why would this guy be using anti-gay slurs?  must be a generational thing  :-\

Was he Saint Elsewhere or ER?  Both great.

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2022, 11:25:52 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
ER
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2022, 11:46:38 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
saw the title and thought, why would this guy be using anti-gay slurs?  must be a generational thing  :-\

He’s my doppelgänger. Great looking guy if I say so myself.  ;)

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2022, 01:21:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

He was on ER, of course his two most famous movie roles were Goose in Top Gun and Gilbert from the Revenge of the Nerds franchise. 

He was also on Northern Exposure just before ER.  Plus a bunch of other movie and tv roles.  Pretty prolific career, I think he was even on the Netflix show Inventing Anna as well.  At least it looked like him.

Edit: Yep that was him on Inventing Anna.  Looked at his list, I didn't know he was Fast Times at Ridgemont High, also had a main role on It Takes Two.  Pretty rare for a guy in the early 80's to be flipping back and forth between movies and tv.  He had to be one of the first to have had that sort of success on both while going between them pretty consistently.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2022, 02:30:21 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
Frankly its pathetic that we have people fake offended because a guy that bounces a ball said a word that they dont like.   I am embarrassed for anyone that use the words 'hate speech', especially to describe this particular event.     

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2022, 02:38:59 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Frankly its pathetic that we have people fake offended because a guy that bounces a ball said a word that they dont like.   I am embarrassed for anyone that use the words 'hate speech', especially to describe this particular event.     

I'm not offended, I just think he's an idiot.

It's also true that some idiots don't understand the definition of 'hate speech'.

And it's certainly a hallmark of idiots to use words and phrases that they don't understand.

So, I have to ask, SDcG - why do you go through great pains to make yourself look like an idiot?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2022, 03:48:34 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

I don’t think many people think this is the worst thing they ever heard, but as I said earlier in the thread, posting yourself doing this online is especially dumb and most employers if they saw you do this would call you and say “hey don’t do this again or it’s gonna be a problem for you and us.”

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2022, 05:05:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

nm - deleted. It's useless trying to explain anything to this guy.

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2022, 10:36:25 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
He might get a bit more than we’ve seen.  This reminds me more of Meyers Leonard than anyone else.  It’s not basketball court trashtalking, but casual usage on social media, ostensibly to mock people who were minding their own business.  He’s a better player than Leonard, so he won’t be blackballed, but I expect a game.

I don't know. While what Leonard said was certainly not acceptable, there was no real context to what he was saying. It could be believable that he didn't know what the word meant and this could be shown in his apology as it was more one of disbelief and 'throw me on the sword.' He also wasn't directing it at Jewish people in particular.

Edwards didn't directly use the word 'fa**ot', which I guess is a positive, but the way he used 'queer' and followed it up with, 'look what the world done come to, bruh,' shows that he not only knew what he was saying and who he was saying it to, but that he is disgusted by that community as a whole. This isn't the same as someone casually 'no homo' imo and then realizing that what they said was hurtful.

I must be alone here, but at the end of the day why should this matter?

Even if he does feel "disgusted by that community" - how does one man's personal feelings about a person or group of people impact anybody but himself? 

If that is what he personally feels then that's what he feels.  Suppressing him from being able to openly voice/express the way he feels  doesn't change the way he feels and never will. As long as he's not going out taking ill actions against people in that community then at the end of the day its just feelings and words. 

Why does it matter if what he said was hurtful to a group of people? People say things all the time that could be taken as hurtful, often completely unintentionally.  If we endeavour to hold it against people every time they say something that someone might feel hurtful, then the entire concept of free speech is already dead and buried.

I'm a middle aged overweight European white straight male.  I have heard more then my share of weight related slurs and anti-European slurs over the years.  In the last 4 or 5 years especially I've heard copious people make very open, very public slurs against men and against white people.  At the end of the day I don't care.  I'm not going to ask for those people to be fined, or for them to be arrested, or for them to lose their jobs. 

If you don't like me because I'm white, fine.  If you don't like me because I'm fat, fine.  If you don't like me because my parents are European or because I only sleep with biological women, fine.  I don't care what random people that I don't know think of me - it has zero impact on my life.

Society today really has become way too fragile.  Being THIS obsessed with what other people think of you can't possible be good for a person's mental or emotional health. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 10:42:41 PM by Muzzy66 »

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2022, 11:05:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This is a moronic thing to say, and paints you as such. You ought to be a lot more embarrassed by the trash that is coming out of your own mouth.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2022, 11:06:33 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He might get a bit more than we’ve seen.  This reminds me more of Meyers Leonard than anyone else.  It’s not basketball court trashtalking, but casual usage on social media, ostensibly to mock people who were minding their own business.  He’s a better player than Leonard, so he won’t be blackballed, but I expect a game.

I don't know. While what Leonard said was certainly not acceptable, there was no real context to what he was saying. It could be believable that he didn't know what the word meant and this could be shown in his apology as it was more one of disbelief and 'throw me on the sword.' He also wasn't directing it at Jewish people in particular.

Edwards didn't directly use the word 'fa**ot', which I guess is a positive, but the way he used 'queer' and followed it up with, 'look what the world done come to, bruh,' shows that he not only knew what he was saying and who he was saying it to, but that he is disgusted by that community as a whole. This isn't the same as someone casually 'no homo' imo and then realizing that what they said was hurtful.

Even if he does feel "disgusted by that community" - how does one man's personal feelings about a person or group of people impact anybody but himself? 

If that is what he personally feels then that's what he feels.  Suppressing him from being able to openly voice/express the way he feels  doesn't change the way he feels and never will. As long as he's not going out taking ill actions against people in that community then at the end of the day its just feelings and words. 

Why does it matter if what he said was hurtful to a group of people? People say things all the time that could be taken as hurtful, often completely unintentionally.  If we endeavour to hold it against people every time they say something that someone might feel hurtful, then the entire concept of free speech is already dead and buried.

I'm a middle aged overweight European white straight male.  I have heard more then my share of weight related slurs and anti-European slurs over the years.  In the last 4 or 5 years especially I've heard copious people make very open, very public slurs against men and against white people.  At the end of the day I don't care.  I'm not going to ask for those people to be fined, or for them to be arrested, or for them to lose their jobs. 

If you don't like me because I'm white, fine.  If you don't like me because I'm fat, fine.  If you don't like me because my parents are European or because I only sleep with biological women, fine.  I don't care what random people that I don't know think of me - it has zero impact on my life.

Society today really has become way too fragile.  Being THIS obsessed with what other people think of you can't possible be good for a person's mental or emotional health.
Because he is an internationally renowned celebrity broadcasting this to the whole world. He is publicly okaying active discrimination.

The emboldened is beyond naive.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2022, 11:44:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I’m really curious what kind of jobs people on here have that they feel you can get away with broadcasting stuff and not having repercussions. Mind blowing stuff.

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2022, 11:51:31 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Because he is an internationally renowned celebrity broadcasting this to the whole world. He is publicly okaying active discrimination.

It’s a bizarre response, really. I don’t think gay people give a crap if Anthony Edwards doesn’t like them. He totally missed the point.

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2022, 03:25:19 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum

He uttered a slur that almost everybody in the western world (and on this very forum) has almost certainly said at least once or twice in their lives when joking around with friends or family. 

The problem is that today we live in a world where, due to the widespread reach of the internet, peoples lives in general have become far more public.  People more then ever have flocked to these online platforms as places where they feel they can openly express themselves and allow their fans / followers to get a more personal glimpse into the person they are and the world they live in. 

Likewise the fans / followers of these celebrities flock to these platforms because they WANT to get to know their beloved celebrities on a per personal, intimate level.

The only way this type of exchange is possible is if you allow people to express themselves freely and openly, and then it comes down the the age old concept of "if you don't like what I say, then don't watch". 

I work in corporate environments so I completely understand the idea of companies being able to hold employees responsible for things they say on social media due to potential reputation impact on the company, etc.  Totally get that.  Personally, I don't agree with it.  I believe what you do in your work life when you're wearing your work uniform and on the clock should be totally separate from what you do in your own personal life - public or otherwise.  The fact that you choose to work for a corporation should not infringe your right to openly and freely be yourself in your own personal life, so long as the actions you take in your private life do not impact your ability to do your job.  You can disagree with me on this, and i'm sure you do. That's fine.  This is just my personal belief and perspective.

When you start charging people because they said offensive or hurtful things, I think that openly a very big can of worms which (if we allow to get to far) may become impossible to close back up. 

For example, lets say you are a famous celebrity like Edwards, you have a strong religious belief that a gay lifestyle is unethical, and for that reason you choose not to engage with people who are gay.  Then one day a gay man comes to you and wants to shake your hand and take a photo of you, and you refuse because you don't want to be associated with them.  In today's political/social climate an action like this this could be taken as offensive and hurtful to people in the LGBT community, right?  It's not out of the realm of possibility that a player could be fined, suspended or otherwise punished by the league for such a scenario.  But why? If it makes this individual feel uncomfortable being photographed with somebody that he personally sees as unethical, why should he be forced to partake in a scenario that makes him feel uncomfortable?

Sure these are two very different scenarios, but they really aren't THAT far apart when you start judging people's actions based on their potential to cause offence or emotional hurt to others.

By forcing people to change the way they speak / live / act in order to avoid offending others, you are in essence imposing on that same person's ability to be their own person. 

I certainly don't think that what he said was nice, and I absolutely agree that saying what he said on such a public platform (being the public figure that he is) was pretty darn stupid.  But at the end of the day I'm sure said much worse things then this when i'm in a private place with friends, and i'm sure most other people here have at some point in their lives too...so I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I'm outraged or that he did something unfathomably reprehensible. 

He made an i'll advised comment in an inappropriate scenario.  I'm sure we've all done that to some extent or other.  He also apologised profusely for it.  I say give the man a break.  Everybody wants to sit here acting like they are perfectly innocent and have never made an offensive/inappropriate comment in their lives...give me a break.

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2022, 03:34:02 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum

It’s a bizarre response, really. I don’t think gay people give a crap if Anthony Edwards doesn’t like them. He totally missed the point.

As I said:
a) I believe in the right to free speech - regardless of whether it may offend or upset someone
b) I believe that that what people do in their personal life / private life should be isolated from their work life

The entire outrage is around Edwards saying an "offensive and hurtful" slur.  If gay people "didn't give a crap" what he thinks then there would be no reason for it to be considered "offensive and hurtful" - and the question is around what punishment he should/would receive. 

I believe he should receive none, because it's his own business what he does in his own time so long as he's not breaking any laws or partaking in any activities that would impact his ability to do his job.