Author Topic: Meniscus tears...  (Read 1296 times)

Meniscus tears...
« on: September 02, 2022, 09:10:28 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The general consensus seems to be that meniscus tears aren't that serious, that they have a pretty quick recovery time, etc.  The general timeline seems to be about 6 to 12 weeks.  That's why we all have a lot of hope about Gallinari being back by the end of November. 

At the same time, I'm looking at Lonzo Ball and Collin Sexton, both who had meniscus injuries.  Sexton missed 70+ games.  Ball went down in January, and there are fears he won't be ready for the start of the season.

Why are those cases different?  What are the chances that Gallo needs recovery similar to Ball and Sexton? 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Meniscus tears...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 09:27:40 AM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Sexton required surgery and Ball had a bone bruise that convinced them it was better to shut him down.

Embiid and Rob tore their meniscus too, but they didn’t require surgery and returned soon thereafter.

I’d guess that the recovery time depends on the need for surgery and the subject feeling no pain or lingering effects.

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 09:29:02 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Ball also sustained a bone bruise, which are more unpredictable in terms of recovery time. That is what I recall reading about why he was taking so long to return, he was still feeling a lot of pain from the bone bruise. Don't know the deal about Sexton.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 09:29:49 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Sexton required surgery and Ball had a bone bruise that convinced them it was better to shut him down.

Embiid and Rob tore their meniscus too, but they didn’t require surgery and returned soon thereafter.

I’d guess that the recovery time depends on the need for surgery and the subject feeling no pain or lingering effects.

Rob had surgery, just a minor tear.

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2022, 09:38:50 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
There was talk that Sexton might have played in the 1st round had the Cavs made it out of the play in.  So that would have been about 5 months, which is obviously longer than 6-12 weeks, but he also had surgery which makes it more serious than most.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2022, 10:33:29 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Embiid's latest meniscus tear didn't require surgery.  In his rookie season (3rd year), Embiid had a meniscus tear that ended his season and he eventually had surgery. 

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2022, 10:56:21 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
From what I understand is it depends on whether they have surgery to try to repair the meniscus or just try to trim away the torn loose edges that cause discomfort, which is what I believe Rob had done. I had the latter done to me and I was feeling great almost immediately.

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2022, 11:29:06 AM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum

Rob had surgery, just a minor tear.
Great, so surgery doesn’t prevent a quick recovery either. Hopefully, Danilo’s recovery is just as or even smoother.

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2022, 11:32:13 AM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum

Embiid's latest meniscus tear didn't require surgery.  In his rookie season (3rd year), Embiid had a meniscus tear that ended his season and he eventually had surgery.
I was referring to his latest one. It’s interesting that Embiid has gone through it twice with different results.

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2022, 12:00:31 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
DG has now been diagnosed with an ACL tear per Shams. Same knee as 2013 tear.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2022, 12:04:28 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Brad is going to have to make a move to being a wing in now. Same with a big. No way you count in Hauser and Kornet as functional rotation players.

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2022, 12:06:25 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Markannen? Sure wish we still had Fournier TPE.

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2022, 12:21:03 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Awesome! Gallanari's got a torn ACL, per Woj!

The Celtics are just so lucky with injuries!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2022, 12:27:15 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Stinks for Gallinari. Glad Wyc saved some luxury tax though by not using the $17 mil TPE though and just letting it expire.

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2022, 01:19:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Retirement time in Gallo s future . 

ACL …he should be cooked this time.