Author Topic: Woj: Donovan Mitchell to Cavs  (Read 9121 times)

Re: Woj: Donovan Mitchell to Cavs
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2022, 08:19:43 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Cleveland was 35-21 last year before the injuries were just too much.  That is a 51.25 win pace or you know in that 3 way tie for the 2nd seed.  They basically just swapped Mitchell for Markkanen so a major upgrade.  They should be a mid 50's win team especially as Mobley gets a lot better in year 2.  Now, I don't think they have the pieces to truly co tend in the post season, but they are going have a very good record.

No way do they sniff the mid-50s.  49 wins tops.

I see them winning about 50 games, but if they won upper 40's that would be a nice outcome.

Garland, who will start the season as a 22 yr old and Allen, who is 24, made the All-Star team last year and they are the 3rd and 4th best players. Mobley just turned 21 and is going to be an all-NBA level big within a few years.

So they have a core of 4 really good, really young guys, and most importantly, they fit. Mobley and Allen worked. They could start Okoro and there will be plenty of shots for the other starters. This is a very young core and Mobley is the youngest of the bunch. They are going to improve. A lot.

They also have an extremely good bench. Levert, Love, Osman and Rubio all could be trusted in a close game.

It may take a year or two, but these guys are going to be passing Philly and Miami soon enough. It's just a matter of how quickly Mobley and Garland progress. This is Cleveland. I think they made a smart decision to go for it now. If I were Mitchell I'd be thrilled.

« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2022, 08:33:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552
Cleveland was 35-21 last year before the injuries were just too much.  That is a 51.25 win pace or you know in that 3 way tie for the 2nd seed.  They basically just swapped Mitchell for Markkanen so a major upgrade.  They should be a mid 50's win team especially as Mobley gets a lot better in year 2.  Now, I don't think they have the pieces to truly co tend in the post season, but they are going have a very good record.

I see them winning about 50 games, but if they won upper 40's that would be a nice outcome.

Garland, who will start the season as a 22 yr old and Allen, who is 24, made the All-Star team last year and they are the 3rd and 4th best players. Mobley just turned 21 and is going to be an all-NBA level big within a few years.

So they have a core of 4 really good, really young guys, and most importantly, they fit. Mobley and Allen worked. They could start Okoro and there will be plenty of shots for the other starters. This is a very young core and Mobley is the youngest of the bunch. They are going to improve. A lot.

They also have an extremely good bench. Levert, Love, Osman and Rubio all could be trusted in a close game.

It may take a year or two, but these guys are going to be passing Philly and Miami soon enough. It's just a matter of how quickly Mobley and Garland progress. This is Cleveland. I think they made a smart decision to go for it now. If I were Mitchell I'd be thrilled.
they won 44 games last year and Kevin Love, of all people, was the only guy on the team to play in at least 70 games.  They were 40-29 in Mobley's 69 games, making them just 4-9 in the 13 games he didn't play.  Similarly, they were 35-21 in Allen's 56 games, and 9-17 without him.  If Mobley and Allen can make the season healthy, I absolutely think they are a 50+ win team, especially as they both (and especially Mobley) will both improve, as will Garland and Okoro.  I don't think they are ready to be a playoff contender as I don't think Mobley is ready for that (and he is the key, even with Mitchell), but they are definitely a team that is going to win a whole heck of a lot of games.  They have a fair amount depth as well at every position aside from PG (until Rubio is back). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2022, 08:41:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

they won 44 games last year and Kevin Love, of all people, was the only guy on the team to play in at least 70 games.  They were 40-29 in Mobley's 69 games, making them just 4-9 in the 13 games he didn't play.  Similarly, they were 35-21 in Allen's 56 games, and 9-17 without him.  If Mobley and Allen can make the season healthy, I absolutely think they are a 50+ win team, especially as they both (and especially Mobley) will both improve, as will Garland and Okoro.  I don't think they are ready to be a playoff contender as I don't think Mobley is ready for that (and he is the key, even with Mitchell), but they are definitely a team that is going to win a whole heck of a lot of games.  They have a fair amount depth as well at every position aside from PG (until Rubio is back).
And their team is completely different. They won't be throwing out anymore of those 3 big lineups without Markannen and their backcourt defence has a chance to be very rough. Obviously Mobley and Allen mitigate that, but only to an extent. For my mind, their lineup should be:

Garland - Mitchell - Okoro - Mobley - Allen
Neto/Rubio - LeVert - Osman - Love - Lopez
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2022, 08:54:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

And their team is completely different. They won't be throwing out anymore of those 3 big lineups without Markannen and their backcourt defence has a chance to be very rough. Obviously Mobley and Allen mitigate that, but only to an extent. For my mind, their lineup should be:

Yeah they've definitely lost some size, but Sexton's injury last year pushed them into some of that.  They were starting Garland and Sexton together to start the year (they were 6-3 in the 9 games they played together) before Sexton went down in the 11th game.  So a small fast backcourt did work for them to start last year, and while Markkanen has size, he isn't a good defender and does not block shots or generate steals.  So losing his size, doesn't strike me as much of an issue to their defense or spacing (since Mitchell is the new starter replacing Lauri). 

I just don't think that anytime you replace Lauri Markkanen with Donovan Mitchell that you are going to take a step back.  That is a significant talent upgrade and they have two of the best big man defenders in the sport down low. 

« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2022, 10:03:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
The last Knicks offer was apparently

Barrett, Quickley, 24 and 26 from NY, 25 from Mil, and swaps in 25 and 27, and 2 2nd rounders

so the question is, which package would you rather have if you were the Jazz?  Barrett is the best player, but it seems like everything else in the Cavs package is better. 

« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2022, 10:11:37 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
The last Knicks offer was apparently

Barrett, Quickley, 24 and 26 from NY, 25 from Mil, and swaps in 25 and 27, and 2 2nd rounders

so the question is, which package would you rather have if you were the Jazz?  Barrett is the best player, but it seems like everything else in the Cavs package is better.

The Cavs package was definitely better.  Getting unprotected picks (including swaps) from 25-29 is way better given that Mitchell is only guaranteed to be on the Cavs for the first of those years, and will be a real threat to bolt in free agency.  Also, I’d rather give Sexton $72 million than Barrett $120 million.  My guess is that Fournier was also included with the Knicks offer to make the salaries work, and Markkanen is definitely better salary filler.

« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2022, 10:18:43 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1485
I like the new Utah roster. I think Sexton is closer to Donovan Mitchel as a player than most realize. What is he, like 90% of Mitchell except a few stellar playoff performances?

Sexton, Markannen, Beasley, THT, and Vanderbilt is a decent, young, proven core with room for upside. I like all of those players and think they all could be good rotation pieces on a good team. Combine them with prospects like NAW, Kessler, and Bolmaro and that's a good young core. Plus, they are likely to get more value from Conley, Bogdon, and Clarkson before its all said and done.

Yes, even though DA is clearing house, he is bringing back interesting young players.  Sexton, Marannen, and THT are not throw away busts...It would be funny if Utah is a better team than Clev this year.  I mean the odds are low, but it would be funny.

« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2022, 10:45:02 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
I like the new Utah roster. I think Sexton is closer to Donovan Mitchel as a player than most realize. What is he, like 90% of Mitchell except a few stellar playoff performances?

Sexton, Markannen, Beasley, THT, and Vanderbilt is a decent, young, proven core with room for upside. I like all of those players and think they all could be good rotation pieces on a good team. Combine them with prospects like NAW, Kessler, and Bolmaro and that's a good young core. Plus, they are likely to get more value from Conley, Bogdon, and Clarkson before its all said and done.

Yes, even though DA is clearing house, he is bringing back interesting young players.  Sexton, Marannen, and THT are not throw away busts...It would be funny if Utah is a better team than Clev this year.  I mean the odds are low, but it would be funny.

Sexton is nice, but I fully expect Utah to ease him back into playing after missing most of last season.  Utah wants Wembanyama, or at least to have the best lottery shot at him they can get.  I also think they'll try to move Markkanen for more picks.  Utah could turn it around pretty quickly, but this year will be like the 2013-2014 Celtics, with Sexton playing the part of a recovering Rondo.

Also, I don't know what people see in THT.  I see Marcus Smart-quality shooting without most of the good Marcus Smart things.  He shot 27% from 3 while taking a third of his shots from deep.  I get that he's not even 22, but is he really someone you want to pay $21 million to over the next two seasons if you aren't trying to tank?

« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2022, 10:45:28 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Danny finally got that number 8 pick back from the Kyrie trade (Sexton). Wonder if he would have drafted him if he didn’t make that trade.

nope SGA

That’s your 20/20 hindsight.

me answering who we were taking isn’t hindsight, more just clarifying…..although yes i wish we did that lol

« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2022, 10:48:08 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
With Mitchell gone, you'd have to think Utah is going to shop their other players aggressively...Bojan or Clarkson anyone?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2022, 11:00:38 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2709
With Mitchell gone, you'd have to think Utah is going to shop their other players aggressively...Bojan or Clarkson anyone?

Bojan makes 20 million a year. Not worth it for us. Neither is Clarkson, we have plenty of guards who would be ahead of him on our depth chart.

« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2022, 11:02:43 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1485

Sexton is nice, but I fully expect Utah to ease him back into playing after missing most of last season.  Utah wants Wembanyama, or at least to have the best lottery shot at him they can get.  I also think they'll try to move Markkanen for more picks.  Utah could turn it around pretty quickly, but this year will be like the 2013-2014 Celtics, with Sexton playing the part of a recovering Rondo.

Also, I don't know what people see in THT.  I see Marcus Smart-quality shooting without most of the good Marcus Smart things.  He shot 27% from 3 while taking a third of his shots from deep.  I get that he's not even 22, but is he really someone you want to pay $21 million to over the next two seasons if you aren't trying to tank?

THT just has some special athleticism.  Yeah he hasn't put it all together yet, and he is a poor shooter, probably taking way too many bad shots.  I am an Iowa State alum, so I watched him for a year at ISU. I am prob biased.

But overall you are prob right, DA isn't going to let this year's Utah team win many games.  He is playing lotto balls for the next few years.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 11:11:11 PM by blink »

« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2022, 11:11:12 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

We should put in a waiver claim on Stanley Johnson when that inevitable cut happens, but aside from him, there’s no one Utah is likely to move that makes sense once you consider salary matching.

« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2022, 11:43:38 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Why is Donovan Mitchell getting the superstar treatment? This is crazy..

« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2022, 01:09:31 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Yeah they've definitely lost some size, but Sexton's injury last year pushed them into some of that.  They were starting Garland and Sexton together to start the year (they were 6-3 in the 9 games they played together) before Sexton went down in the 11th game.  So a small fast backcourt did work for them to start last year, and while Markkanen has size, he isn't a good defender and does not block shots or generate steals.  So losing his size, doesn't strike me as much of an issue to their defense or spacing (since Mitchell is the new starter replacing Lauri). 

I just don't think that anytime you replace Lauri Markkanen with Donovan Mitchell that you are going to take a step back.  That is a significant talent upgrade and they have two of the best big man defenders in the sport down low.

I agree with you that they could win a lot of games. My biggest question is definitely their backcourt defense. It is possible they may have some of the worst perimeter defenders in the league. Allen and Mobley can help at the rim but that could lead to open corner 3’s. They also really need to not play levert, garland and Mitchell together very much. Levert could be very effective with bench units or one of them.