Author Topic: Woj: Donovan Mitchell to Cavs  (Read 9089 times)

Re: Woj: Donovan Mitchell to Cavs
« Reply #120 on: September 05, 2022, 07:20:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Woj posted this Tweet on 9/1:

"At the start of trade talks in July, New York offered Utah a Donovan Mitchell package including RJ Barrett, Obi Toppin, Mitchell Robinson and three unprotected first-round picks, sources tell ESPN. Jazz turned down that offer and Robinson signed a $60M extension to stay w/ NY."

Did Ainge screw up a bit here? The Knick picks will probably be far more valuable than the same from the Cavs, and you could make an argument the players would be more appealing to a rebuild too.
Seems Utah was looking for less likely to be overpaid and remain on the roster type players, which is understandable for a team blowing it up. Barrett and Robinson combined just signed for $180 million while taking up 5 years of time for Barrett and 4 for Robinson.

Utah could simply not see them as long term pieces. Plus they might be too good for a complete "looking to get a #1 pick" tank, meaning they could mess with a complete tank job over the next couple by helping to win too many games.

As for which team's picks might be better, we are talking 2025 and beyond, times where Donovan Mitchell might not be on the team, so both sets of picks could be extremely valuable. New York sucks and has for a long time. But let's not pretend that Cleveland hasn't had several #1 picks in the last couple decades, meaning, yeah, the have sucked sans Lebron. So either set of picks could be highly valuable given the teams involved.

« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2022, 01:52:47 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Woj posted this Tweet on 9/1:

"At the start of trade talks in July, New York offered Utah a Donovan Mitchell package including RJ Barrett, Obi Toppin, Mitchell Robinson and three unprotected first-round picks, sources tell ESPN. Jazz turned down that offer and Robinson signed a $60M extension to stay w/ NY."

Did Ainge screw up a bit here? The Knick picks will probably be far more valuable than the same from the Cavs, and you could make an argument the players would be more appealing to a rebuild too.
Seems Utah was looking for less likely to be overpaid and remain on the roster type players, which is understandable for a team blowing it up. Barrett and Robinson combined just signed for $180 million while taking up 5 years of time for Barrett and 4 for Robinson.

Utah could simply not see them as long term pieces. Plus they might be too good for a complete "looking to get a #1 pick" tank, meaning they could mess with a complete tank job over the next couple by helping to win too many games.

As for which team's picks might be better, we are talking 2025 and beyond, times where Donovan Mitchell might not be on the team, so both sets of picks could be extremely valuable. New York sucks and has for a long time. But let's not pretend that Cleveland hasn't had several #1 picks in the last couple decades, meaning, yeah, the have sucked sans Lebron. So either set of picks could be highly valuable given the teams involved.
Wouldn't bet against a team that has Mobley tbh. I think the Cavs will underperform come playoff time cause I don't like the fit of their Big 4 playing next to each other, but I'm sky high on Mobley. As long as he is in Cleveland, I doubt the Jazz will get a valuable pick from the Cavs.

Fwiw, the Cavs offer included 2 pick swaps as well. In theory, they may end up losing 5 picks instead of 3. Not sure whether the Knicks were willing to include pick swaps.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 02:01:50 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #122 on: September 06, 2022, 08:15:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I think I had known this at one time, but had forgotten that Donovan Mitchell as a 13 year old kid from Connecticut begged his mother to let him go to the Decision, so he was actually there in person.  So kind of full circle now that he is a Cav.  Also amazing the Decision was 12 years ago now, it doesn't seem that long ago, though a lot has happened in the 12 years since with Lebron basically the only constant that whole time. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #123 on: September 06, 2022, 08:48:53 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I think I had known this at one time, but had forgotten that Donovan Mitchell as a 13 year old kid from Connecticut begged his mother to let him go to the Decision, so he was actually there in person.  So kind of full circle now that he is a Cav.  Also amazing the Decision was 12 years ago now, it doesn't seem that long ago, though a lot has happened in the 12 years since with Lebron basically the only constant that whole time.

This is wrong, The Decision was broadcast in 2010 which was only two or three years ago, tops.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #124 on: September 06, 2022, 09:13:09 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

This is wrong, The Decision was broadcast in 2010 which was only two or three years ago, tops.
i will assume that you are about to change your name from Kernewek to Rip Van Winkle.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva