Author Topic: Danilo Gallinari Injury (Expected to miss entire '22-23 Season)  (Read 12745 times)

Re: Danilo Gallinari hurt knee
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2022, 03:07:00 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Best time it could happen to be honest. Still time to sign someone and plenty of time for him to get back.
Well, even better would have been 2 months ago, but I get your point: Ime faces his first injury challenge, and the new depth of this roster should make the team resilient to this event.

I would go further and say this should be possible without signing somebody else. Using a $6M TPE will cost a lot more than that (lux tax), and for what? to fill in a backup spot for a month? I doubt the C's do it.
Rob?
of the 2022-2023 season, of course.

Re: Danilo Gallinari meniscus tear; to return in November?
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2022, 03:45:08 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think he'll be fine, folks.

« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2022, 04:02:10 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Gallinari or not, we still need to add a traditional post player, hopefully with some size and a strong rebounder.
Someone who will knock people on their ass on occasion as well would be a big plus for this team.

Has Stevens talked to Dwight Howard at all ?? Is Howard a little too mean and nasty for Brad's sensibilities ?
We want to win the title and this team needs some attitude to do it - plus we are injury prone at the post position.
well, if PBS can handle marcus smart, i think he can handle howard's level of "mean and nasty."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/476808-5-reasons-you-wont-want-to-see-an-angry-dwight-howard-this-year

https://www.thesportster.com/basketball/top-20-reasons-people-hate-dwight-howard/
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2022, 09:43:41 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
We are still going to have Brodgon added to pretty much the same core rotation that was the best team in the league down the stretch of the regular season and made it to the finals.

Not sure what you mean by “core”, but Daniel Theis was a rotation player down the stretch - 18.7 minutes per is a big chunk. He was basically ninth man, since Pritchard got a big bump in minutes after the all-star break. Boston will undoubtedly be replacing Theis’ key contribution as the third big at some point.

Theis hardly played until RWill got hurt and didn't play all that well.  But yes, he was in the mix so that is one player we don't have.  I don't consider him part of the core.

Check the game logs. Theis played rotation minutes from game 58; TL wasn't out until game 76.

Again, I don't know what you mean by "core".

More surprising is your claim that Daniel "didn't play all that well". On the contrary, he was everything they hoped for - and more. They couldn't have expected that he'd shoot league-average from 3, stratospheric TSP of .658, acceptably low turnovers, and an outstanding FTr of .286; but he delivered what they did expect as well: good screening and sealing, rim protection (BLK% of 3.3), good anticipation on rotations.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2022, 10:03:33 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
We are still going to have Brodgon added to pretty much the same core rotation that was the best team in the league down the stretch of the regular season and made it to the finals.

Not sure what you mean by “core”, but Daniel Theis was a rotation player down the stretch - 18.7 minutes per is a big chunk. He was basically ninth man, since Pritchard got a big bump in minutes after the all-star break. Boston will undoubtedly be replacing Theis’ key contribution as the third big at some point.

Theis hardly played until RWill got hurt and didn't play all that well.  But yes, he was in the mix so that is one player we don't have.  I don't consider him part of the core.

Check the game logs. Theis played rotation minutes from game 58; TL wasn't out until game 76.

More surprising is your claim that Daniel "didn't play all that well". On the contrary, he was everything they hoped for - and more. They couldn't have expected that he'd shoot league-average from 3, stratospheric TSP of .658, acceptably low turnovers, and an outstanding FTr of .286; but he delivered what they did expect as well: good screening and sealing, rim protection (BLK% of 3.3), good anticipation on rotations.

This is just incorrect.  Game 58 was the blowout of Philly (by 48) right before the ASB.  Theis got 19 minutes in a game where the starters were done by the third quarter, in a game where Rob was out.

Game 59, Rob was out.
Game 60, garbage time.
Game 61, DNP.
Game 62, Al was out.
Games 63-68, a mix of DNP, garbage times, and 9th man.
Game 69, entered the rotation for the rest of the regular season, with TL being inactive for 8 of the final 14 games.

Theis really wasn't used consistently until the West Coast trip in mid-March.  Game 58 was not his entry into the rotation.

« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2022, 11:45:07 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
This discussion seems like last offseason’s, “Who will start at the 4?” discussion. The answer was Al Horford and Rob Williams.

Danilo and Grant will interchange the 4 and 5. Grant’s proven he guards a wide variety of 4s and 5s at an elite level; from Giannis to Jokic, he’s done it better than most players in the league.

It doesn’t matter that he’s 6’5-6 and they are over 6 inches taller: he’s pushing them away from the basket, making them start their offense as close to the perimeter as he can, staying in front of them on the drive, making them shoot a tough midrange shot or pass, and boxing out to close the possession.

Gallinari is 6’10 240-250, will be tough to post up, and render most 5s useless guarding him on the perimeter forcing most teams to go small.

While Danilo’s recovering though, I’ll keep touting how big the Caboclo pickup is with recent highlights: https://youtu.be/4NBuy9yc2Cc

« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2022, 11:07:34 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

This is just incorrect.  Game 58 was the blowout of Philly (by 48) right before the ASB.  Theis got 19 minutes in a game where the starters were done by the third quarter, in a game where Rob was out.

Game 59, Rob was out.
Game 60, garbage time.
Game 61, DNP.
Game 62, Al was out.
Games 63-68, a mix of DNP, garbage times, and 9th man.
Game 69, entered the rotation for the rest of the regular season, with TL being inactive for 8 of the final 14 games.

Theis really wasn't used consistently until the West Coast trip in mid-March.  Game 58 was not his entry into the rotation.

I guess it is debatable to some extent whether Theis was "core" or not.  Grant Williams came off the bench but was clearly core.  Luke Kornet definitely not core.  Theis was somewhere in between.  In my mind, something less than "core" but definitely not Kornet level non-core.

At any rate, I am viewing the loss of Theis as very minimal impact.  He had been a productive starter for the Celtics in 2020-21 before the trade but he was not that at the end of last season.  I was surprised.  I thought he would be more effective.  And even with RWill injured, he really did not play all that much in the playoffs.  Not sure what happened to him.

« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2022, 10:56:06 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Grant’s proven he guards a wide variety of 4s and 5s at an elite level;

I challenge this comment.  4s and 3s and a few fives, but a lot of bigger athletic players he is powerless to stop.   He tries and he got himself in shape and hats off to him.   But him at the five is a unmitigated disaster, due to lack of rebounding, and bad rim protection.

We clearly have different expectations of what is elite.   

« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2022, 12:42:19 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140

I challenge this comment.  4s and 3s and a few fives, but a lot of bigger athletic players he is powerless to stop.   He tries and he got himself in shape and hats off to him.   But him at the five is a unmitigated disaster, due to lack of rebounding, and bad rim protection.

Per Cleaningtheglass.com, in Grant’s rookie season he played the Center position in 35% of his minutes. On defense, he ranked in the 96th percentile in Points per 100 possessions, 98th percentile in eFG%, 87th percentile in TOV%, and 82nd percentile in ORB% in said minutes.

His minutes at the 5 have decreased to 9% in 20-21 and 3% 21-22 with his percentages remaining consistent with his rookie season. The stats favor him being elite.

For video evidence (which there isn’t much readily available), here are a few possessions of the “bigger athletic players he is powerless to stop” like Bryant, Vucevic, Giannis, and Carter trying to post him up: https://youtu.be/NTECzjex3a0. He’s held Jokic to a few of his worst performances during his MVP seasons and Giannis to his least efficient playoff series.

He’s too good for Centers to challenge off the dribble, too strong to be bullied in the post, and has the defensive IQ to clog lanes to prevent drives and either contest or box out. Grant is elite.

« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2022, 03:58:45 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Boston Celtics forward Danilo Gallinari underwent successful surgery to repair his torn ACL on Friday.

Team physician Dr. Tony Schena performed the surgery at New England Baptist Hospital, the team announced in a statement.

No formal timetable has been determined for Gallinari's return, but he is expected to miss the entire 2022-23 season.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Danilo Gallinari Injury (Expected to miss entire '22-23 Season)
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2022, 04:17:09 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
He just now getting surgery done?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2022, 05:00:18 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
He just now getting surgery done?

There’s often a delay for ACLs to let the swelling subside for a couple of weeks prior to surgery. 

« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2022, 05:07:46 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Per Cleaningtheglass.com, in Grant’s rookie season he played the Center position in 35% of his minutes. On defense, he ranked in the 96th percentile in Points per 100 possessions, 98th percentile in eFG%, 87th percentile in TOV%, and 82nd percentile in ORB% in said minutes.

His minutes at the 5 have decreased to 9% in 20-21 and 3% 21-22 with his percentages remaining consistent with his rookie season. The stats favor him being elite.

For video evidence (which there isn’t much readily available), here are a few possessions of the “bigger athletic players he is powerless to stop” like Bryant, Vucevic, Giannis, and Carter trying to post him up: https://youtu.be/NTECzjex3a0. He’s held Jokic to a few of his worst performances during his MVP seasons and Giannis to his least efficient playoff series.

He’s too good for Centers to challenge off the dribble, too strong to be bullied in the post, and has the defensive IQ to clog lanes to prevent drives and either contest or box out. Grant is elite.
TP for the post. Grant Williams is an excellent basketball player that was not getting enough playing time at the start of last season under our previous coach, and even when he did later on during the season he wasn't really getting enough run as a true big. Part of it is due to how stacked we were at centre, but I don't think he played the John Shumate/Gar Heard role enough next to our Bob McAdoo in Robert Williams (obviously on defence).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2022, 05:09:43 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Boston Celtics forward Danilo Gallinari underwent successful surgery to repair his torn ACL on Friday.

Team physician Dr. Tony Schena performed the surgery at New England Baptist Hospital, the team announced in a statement.

No formal timetable has been determined for Gallinari's return, but he is expected to miss the entire 2022-23 season.

It's funny to read "Celtics forward Danilo Gallinari," because he might never play a game as a Celtic.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2022, 03:16:25 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Danilo looks good rehabbing

https://twitter.com/gallinari8888