Author Topic: Danilo Gallinari Injury (Expected to miss entire '22-23 Season)  (Read 12721 times)

Re: Danilo Gallinari hurt knee
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2022, 02:08:16 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Best time it could happen to be honest. Still time to sign someone and plenty of time for him to get back.

« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2022, 03:01:38 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Best time it could happen to be honest. Still time to sign someone and plenty of time for him to get back.

This.  Provides impetus to be more aggressive in deepening the roster.   And… Gallo will be ready shortly into the season.

« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2022, 08:15:57 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I guess this is the best possible news although we still don’t know how long he’s out for.
RWill was not the same player after he sat out and he’s younger. Hoping for the best for him.

RWill relies much more on his athleticism than Gallo does though. I suppose we can count ourselves lucky that it was just a meniscus. He shouldn't miss that much time.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2022, 12:53:01 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
Here we go again - I remain convinced that Red made a deal with the devil long ago in order to build the title teams of the 60's, 70's and 80's until the deal ran out and karma kicked in. We have been dealing with one disaster after another ever since, exception being Garnett's team, though even they had terrible injury luck that robbed them of at least one, if not two additional titles.

Is this a disaster? I didn’t have such high hopes for Gallinati, as I saw him coming off the bench. I also thought he would be limited in playoff games due to his defense.

I wrote that at 3:30 in the morning, having sipped Crown much of the night - it was an effort to bring some levity to our continued chronic injury history of late. Don't be so literal, of course it is not a disaster, but my comment referenced back to the summer of '86, a point in time since when we have had unprecedented disasters.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2022, 08:03:34 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
At this point, I am not too worried about this.  Hard to know how bad this might be, so no need to worry until there is something to worry about.

It definitely hurts some that he will miss training camp.  That is the time to learn the schemes, get used to playing as a team.  He will now have to learn that mid season, on the fly.  Not the end of the world, he is a vet, seems like a smart player, but this is a real issue.  It takes time for a new player to integrate into a core rotation.  I assume he will still watch and learn which will help some this will delay him not just in terms of the injury but also the integration.

« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2022, 08:06:24 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Danilo Gallinari’ll be missing for at least two months after the injury with Italian National Team. Gallinari will not take part in Boston Celtics’ training camp and will return to the court in November as reported by the Italian press. – via Alessandro Maggi @ Sportando

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Danilo Gallinari meniscus tear; to return in November?
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2022, 08:21:01 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Figured it would be November. Hope Sam Hauser can contribute anything until Gallo returns. Have think Hauser gets Gallo’s minutes as the primary back up wing, which is a scary thought.

« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2022, 08:45:38 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Figured it would be November. Hope Sam Hauser can contribute anything until Gallo returns. Have think Hauser gets Gallo’s minutes as the primary back up wing, which is a scary thought.

I guess I saw Gallinari's role differently.  I see him as a PF who can play some C in a pinch.  I doubt he was going to play much if any as a wing.  To me, him being out is an opportunity potentially for Volneh or Caboclo.  Much less so for Hauser.

« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2022, 09:04:44 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I guess I saw Gallinari's role differently.  I see him as a PF who can play some C in a pinch.  I doubt he was going to play much if any as a wing.  To me, him being out is an opportunity potentially for Volneh or Caboclo.  Much less so for Hauser.

I don't want to see any of Hauser, Vonleh or Caboclo being relied upon for meaningful minutes in regular season games.  Games count just as much in the standings at the beginning of the season as they do at the end. 

Brad needs to upgrade the roster.  He's done the "fill the end of the roster with crap" thing two seasons in a row.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2022, 09:18:45 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

I don't want to see any of Hauser, Vonleh or Caboclo being relied upon for meaningful minutes in regular season games.  Games count just as much in the standings at the beginning of the season as they do at the end. 

Brad needs to upgrade the roster.  He's done the "fill the end of the roster with crap" thing two seasons in a row.

I’d rather see them early to find out if they’re actually crap so that changes can be made later, as opposed to seeing them look okay in practice but crapping out in March if the first need arises then.

Hauser I’m particularly interested in, as the C’s seem to really like him based on aforementioned practices, and guaranteed him for two years.

« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2022, 09:25:31 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Just when I was about to anoint Brad Stevens as the best GM in Boston sports, this has to happen.
Gallinari's knees are well known. He has chronic knee problems--worse than Robert Williams--but has managed to play without problems the last couple years.
And now this. I can't figure why they allowed him to play in that Euro competition with those knees. A mistake, in my view.

« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2022, 09:55:48 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I’d rather see them early to find out if they’re actually crap so that changes can be made later, as opposed to seeing them look okay in practice but crapping out in March if the first need arises then.

Hauser I’m particularly interested in, as the C’s seem to really like him based on aforementioned practices, and guaranteed him for two years.

While that's probably the less bad of two bad options (which were self-inflicted) I'm still hoping that Brad wakes up and goes with option three:  sign real players.

I don't mind Hauser.  He's got an elite skill.  I'm more concerned about the has-beens and never-will-bes that we've given pole position for roster spots.

« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2022, 10:00:20 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Bad but least it’s August, not March..let him take all the time to heal..December is when I bring him back..time for other guys to step up now and show what they can do
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2022, 10:34:57 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Yeah but Hauser is a poor substitute for Gallo.  Gallo is much bigger, and can post up a lot, he's actually quite adept there.  Hauser plays a much different position. He is not going to be able to spell regular season minutes for Rob or Horford, which was a major benefit in signing Gallo.

« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2022, 11:37:49 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Well, even better would have been 2 months ago, but I get your point: Ime faces his first injury challenge, and the new depth of this roster should make the team resilient to this event.

I would go further and say this should be possible without signing somebody else. Using a $6M TPE will cost a lot more than that (lux tax), and for what? to fill in a backup spot for a month? I doubt the C's do it.