Author Topic: Patriots 2022 Season  (Read 107401 times)

Re: Patriots 2022 Season
« Reply #180 on: September 15, 2022, 02:54:14 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
I hope Moranis keeps bringing it. I’m loving memory lane. It was an unbelievable ride. It’s fair to say that journey has ended and a new one begins with Mac Jones. I’m excited to watch these games with my kids, though there’s almost no chance they get the similar experience that I had.

« Reply #181 on: September 15, 2022, 03:16:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I hope Moranis keeps bringing it. I’m loving memory lane. It was an unbelievable ride. It’s fair to say that journey has ended and a new one begins with Mac Jones. I’m excited to watch these games with my kids, though there’s almost no chance they get the similar experience that I had.
My three men were lucky. They came into loving Boston based sports teams just before they were teens and were able to witness 12 championships and 7 other championship finals or championship games as boys, teens and young men.

Freaking bunch of sports spoiled brats! Lol!

« Reply #182 on: September 15, 2022, 03:18:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think Mac is ok, probably somewhere around 20th best QB.  His skill set it such he probably won't lose many games, but he also isn't going to win very many games with his ability, and he is no where near good enough to make up for the very clear and very real roster issues the Patriots have.  The Patriots have one of the worst offenses in the sport.  They just aren't good. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #183 on: September 15, 2022, 03:30:33 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
I think Mac is ok, probably somewhere around 20th best QB.  His skill set it such he probably won't lose many games, but he also isn't going to win very many games with his ability, and he is no where near good enough to make up for the very clear and very real roster issues the Patriots have.  The Patriots have one of the worst offenses in the sport.  They just aren't good.

Eh, I was hoping for more Bill bashing. I agree, this offense isn’t good.

Mac is a game manager. I used to love when people would underestimate Brady’s lack of athleticism and arm talent. That first SB team had a weak offense (at least on paper) and an awesome D. JR Redmond, Jermaine Wiggins, etc

Mac won’t be Tom because no one will be Tom. Mahomes is a beast, but he won’t accomplish what Bill and Brady did 5 more times.

« Reply #184 on: September 15, 2022, 03:36:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Mac is a game manager. I used to love when people would underestimate Brady’s lack of athleticism and arm talent. That first SB team had a weak offense (at least on paper) and an awesome D. JR Redmond, Jermaine Wiggins, etc

Mac won’t be Tom because no one will be Tom. Mahomes is a beast, but he won’t accomplish what Bill and Brady did 5 more times.

I think even last years version of mac could conceivably won that first super bowl. It was a dominating performance by the defense and Brady only had 145 yards.

« Reply #185 on: September 15, 2022, 03:53:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Mahomes is now on his big contract, though if he actually makes all 10 years the last several he will be significantly underpaid (which is why he probably won't be on that contract all 10 years).  Those contracts are very damaging to team building, which as I've said was Brady's greatest winning attribute.  He was so underpaid, he let the team just be better around him, and despite all of that, the Patriots roster wasn't very good top to bottom his last couple of years in New England, which I contend is the main reason he left.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #186 on: September 15, 2022, 03:55:43 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Bills been a great coach. The GM part especially as of late has been bad. Look at the roster.  If Bill would be okay with remaining as the coach with a new GM  great.

But he won't be, That's why I want him gone. He's in his 70's now and there is no way he's going to improve as a GM.

Can't see why anyone would want a 70 year old to be heading to massive responsibilities at this point. He should just be the coach or exit the building Imo.

« Reply #187 on: September 15, 2022, 03:58:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Really hoping for a solid win this weekend so people have to put away the pitchforks for a week…

« Reply #188 on: September 15, 2022, 04:18:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Some of you guys just aren't getting the financial pickle that Belichick had to get out of in order to maintain the talent level on the team from 2016-2021, two seasons of which he won Super Bowls.

Belichick was consistently pushing dead money off of newly renegotiated contracts farther and farther down the line until it finally got to the point he couldn't do it anymore. That's how he built those 2015-2019 Super Bowl winning teams. I mean, across the media, and especially on Boston sports talk radio, the idea he had to finally pay off his credit card debt was consistently used as an analogy of what was transpiring. 

Then Brady finally wanted money he was worth and there was none left over for anything else so Brady left and the Cam Newton year happened. Bill's 2021 spending spree can rightfully be criticized, though I won't after just one season and one game. I'll give Bill this year to show that spending spree had some really good decisions made in it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 04:40:04 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #189 on: September 15, 2022, 04:22:44 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I think Belichick would have won a Superbowl or two without Brady.
As you say he had Piolli and a bunch of Parcell's coaches.
When he took over, it was a matter of resetting to the Parcell's years after Carroll had polluted it.
I think he was going to move on from Bledsoe as he did from Kosar.
Bekichick's (Grier/Piolli) were pretty good Brady(HOF), Seymour(HOF), Light, Branch, Graham, Green, Givens

Now Brady is the GOAT and players are always more important than coaches or GM's because they make the plays, BUT...
Belicjick drafted Brady.
Belichick kept him on the 53 roster as a 4th QB his rookie season.
Belichick promoted him to 2nd string his second year, and didn't go back to the established starter when Bledsoe was healthy.

Can we be sure that another organization would have given him the opportunity?
Allowed him to grow as the 199th pick, as the defense won games?
If Brady wasn't given this opportunity would he have been able to pick which stacked team to go to when he was the GOAT?

I personally think Brady is most responsible for the success, but it's not possible without the combination.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 06:45:51 PM by sgrogan »

« Reply #190 on: September 15, 2022, 04:23:27 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Some of you guys just aren't getting the financial pickle that Belichick had to get out of in order to maintain the talent level on the team from 2016-2021, two seasons of which he won Super Bowls.

Belichick was consistently pushing dead money off of newly renegotiated contracts farther and farther down the line until it finally got to the point he couldn't do it anymore. That's how he built those 2015-2019 Super Bowl winning teams. I mean, across the media, and especially on Boston sports talk radio, the idea he had to finally pay of his credit card debt was consistently used as an analogy of what was transpiring. 

Then Brady finally wanted money he was worth and there was none left over for anything else so Brady left and the Cam Newton year happened. Bill's 2021 spending spree can rightfully be criticized, though I won't after just one season and one game. I'll give Bill this year to show that spending spree had some really good decisions made in it.

FWIW, the Pats have the 3rd most projected cap space for 2023.  $52 million.   Roy's Bears lead the way with an insane $104 million of space.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #191 on: September 15, 2022, 07:01:20 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I'm not close to giving up on Bill, though I think he's likely to find himself in an 0-4 hole to kick off the season. Won't surprise me if they are mathematically in the WC hunt in Week 15, but I definitely don't expect playoffs this season.  Building for good run next year seems logical to me and I hope that's the trajectory. 

« Reply #192 on: September 15, 2022, 07:26:08 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
I'm not close to giving up on Bill, though I think he's likely to find himself in an 0-4 hole to kick off the season. Won't surprise me if they are mathematically in the WC hunt in Week 15, but I definitely don't expect playoffs this season.  Building for good run next year seems logical to me and I hope that's the trajectory.

Why do you expect them to miss the playoffs this year (after making it last year) and having a good run next season?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 07:32:15 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #193 on: September 15, 2022, 07:47:08 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Why do you expect them to miss the playoffs this year (after making it last year) and having a good run next season?

It’s an expectation based primarily on starting the year with an offense that has ability but isn’t ready yet, an O-line that needs to make substantial growth, a better division and conference (2 pretty definite losses to Buffalo), and the slow start leading to a likely 0-4 hole.  I believe they’ll get getter but I don’t think they’ll be able to pass a bunch of solid teams in the AFC after starting 0-4.  If they manage to go 2-2 I’ll change my mind quickly and expect them to compete for a playoff spot.

« Reply #194 on: September 15, 2022, 08:04:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

It’s an expectation based primarily on starting the year with an offense that has ability but isn’t ready yet, an O-line that needs to make substantial growth, a better division and conference (2 pretty definite losses to Buffalo), and the slow start leading to a likely 0-4 hole.  I believe they’ll get getter but I don’t think they’ll be able to pass a bunch of solid teams in the AFC after starting 0-4.  If they manage to go 2-2 I’ll change my mind quickly and expect them to compete for a playoff spot.
Here's your problem....assuming an 0-4 start. I can easily see 2-2.