Author Topic: Patriots 2022 Season  (Read 110367 times)

Re: Patriots 2022 Season
« Reply #135 on: September 13, 2022, 07:24:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Bill's nepotism hiring pratices is killing this franchise from the top down. It's time for a strong gm and oversite. I like the coach but the decline in management of staff and talent evaluation is obvious.

I have always felt in football there are no rebuilds unless you are throwing out the coaching staff and gm. The team should not be this bad. In all honesty feels like Bill wants to leave and he is burning the franchise.

The Krafts needs to hire a "consultant/gm to be" now to start planning on the replacement of Bill and the entire staff. Also a secondary scout group. Just like Bill does to his players put some pressure on Bill and tell him he is getting too old for the job, that he is on the decline.

Huge TP. Very well said.
It's actually a massive over reaction to one game.

The nepotism thing is kinda ridiculous given both sons have coached very well, have been with the team for a long while, winning Super Bowls in their time coaching there and are on the defensive side, the side playing quality ball. No one leaving the team has ever commented that either son was not equipped to do a good job or was a poor coach.

Also, this whole thing is over one loss, in Miami, in the summer, a place and time they historically, even with Brady, lose.

The team is rebuilding. They had a great draft last year. This one could be too. They have success turning undrafted and late in the draft players into great pieces. And while rebuilding, last year they were 10-7 and went to the playoffs. How many non-rebuilding teams can say that.

This board, and fans in general but especially on this board, are terribly impatient and don't want to wait to see how teams gel and perform as the year goes on(see Celtics, Boston 2021-22). I said earlier, this team multiple times has started 2-2 and won Super Bowls. They once started 5-5 and won a Super Bowl.

Have some patience. You can have your hot takes if the team starts 3-6 or 3-7.

It's year three. With Absolutely no signs of improvement.  Bill's time is up. Would you be so bold to predict even one more ring for Bill? I'll guarantee he never wins without Tom.

Typical spoiled fan. His time is up? Oh really? Let’s forget about 6 Super Bowls and react to the first game of the season. No wonder why this region has earned a reputation.

Let me be more clear. What has Bill ever done as a head coach without Tom Brady. Nothing. It is Tom Brady who deserves the Lion share of the credit.

Nobody is arguing against Bill's defensive acumen.  Parcells was the head coach though.  He did nothing with Cleveland.  His best year ever without Brady was an 11 and 5 season with Matt Cassell and missed the playoffs.

Those are all straight facts.

KG were you like blacked out all of last year or something? Why are you pretending they were Not 10-7 and actually made the playoffs without Brady last year. This is a very weird omission. Especially if you are going to go back to the Matt cassel year.

Yes I did black out last year Clay lol. I think Mac is actually a good QB although his arm strength is suspect. 

I think winning 11 games with Cassel was more impressive he was pretty bad.

And the 270 million dollar spending spree that We made I expected more than to get absolutely destroyed by the Bill's.

I just don't see the optimism for the team. We lose maybe the best player on the defense in JC Jackson, we trade a darn good lineman for Nothing in Mason.

I had high hopes for Tyquan,  but all the haters said he's just to small and literally his first hit he takes he brakes his collarbone.

I really,  really hope Thorton makes it back and has an impact but not much confidence in Bill's ability to draft WRs.

Kg I don’t disagree with your points here, and I am certainly frustrated too with some of the moves you mention. But I just disagreed with your assessment that they have shown no improvement since brady left cause there was pretty clear improvement from year one to two. Now if they win 4 games this year I will agree it is trending aggressively down. I’m just not ready to do that after one game.

« Reply #136 on: September 13, 2022, 07:37:04 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
Bill's nepotism hiring pratices is killing this franchise from the top down. It's time for a strong gm and oversite. I like the coach but the decline in management of staff and talent evaluation is obvious.

I have always felt in football there are no rebuilds unless you are throwing out the coaching staff and gm. The team should not be this bad. In all honesty feels like Bill wants to leave and he is burning the franchise.

The Krafts needs to hire a "consultant/gm to be" now to start planning on the replacement of Bill and the entire staff. Also a secondary scout group. Just like Bill does to his players put some pressure on Bill and tell him he is getting too old for the job, that he is on the decline.

Huge TP. Very well said.
It's actually a massive over reaction to one game.

The nepotism thing is kinda ridiculous given both sons have coached very well, have been with the team for a long while, winning Super Bowls in their time coaching there and are on the defensive side, the side playing quality ball. No one leaving the team has ever commented that either son was not equipped to do a good job or was a poor coach.

Also, this whole thing is over one loss, in Miami, in the summer, a place and time they historically, even with Brady, lose.

The team is rebuilding. They had a great draft last year. This one could be too. They have success turning undrafted and late in the draft players into great pieces. And while rebuilding, last year they were 10-7 and went to the playoffs. How many non-rebuilding teams can say that.

This board, and fans in general but especially on this board, are terribly impatient and don't want to wait to see how teams gel and perform as the year goes on(see Celtics, Boston 2021-22). I said earlier, this team multiple times has started 2-2 and won Super Bowls. They once started 5-5 and won a Super Bowl.

Have some patience. You can have your hot takes if the team starts 3-6 or 3-7.

It's year three. With Absolutely no signs of improvement.  Bill's time is up. Would you be so bold to predict even one more ring for Bill? I'll guarantee he never wins without Tom.

Typical spoiled fan. His time is up? Oh really? Let’s forget about 6 Super Bowls and react to the first game of the season. No wonder why this region has earned a reputation.

Let me be more clear. What has Bill ever done as a head coach without Tom Brady. Nothing. It is Tom Brady who deserves the Lion share of the credit.

Nobody is arguing against Bill's defensive acumen.  Parcells was the head coach though.  He did nothing with Cleveland.  His best year ever without Brady was an 11 and 5 season with Matt Cassell and missed the playoffs.

Those are all straight facts.

KG were you like blacked out all of last year or something? Why are you pretending they were Not 10-7 and actually made the playoffs without Brady last year. This is a very weird omission. Especially if you are going to go back to the Matt cassel year.

Yes I did black out last year Clay lol. I think Mac is actually a good QB although his arm strength is suspect. 

I think winning 11 games with Cassel was more impressive he was pretty bad.

And the 270 million dollar spending spree that We made I expected more than to get absolutely destroyed by the Bill's.

I just don't see the optimism for the team. We lose maybe the best player on the defense in JC Jackson, we trade a darn good lineman for Nothing in Mason.

I had high hopes for Tyquan,  but all the haters said he's just to small and literally his first hit he takes he brakes his collarbone.

I really,  really hope Thorton makes it back and has an impact but not much confidence in Bill's ability to draft WRs.

Kg I don’t disagree with your points here, and I am certainly frustrated too with some of the moves you mention. But I just disagreed with your assessment that they have shown no improvement since brady left cause there was pretty clear improvement from year one to two. Now if they win 4 games this year I will agree it is trending aggressively down. I’m just not ready to do that after one game.

Again, that was with Josh McDaniels running the offense, not Joe Judge and Matt Patricia. Are we just supposed to ignore that? Hopefully they can turn it around week 2, but I certainly don’t feel confident about it.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #137 on: September 13, 2022, 09:46:36 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Probably worth noting, but the defensive coordinator when Malcolm Butler was benched in the SB? Matt Patricia

Offensive coordinator when Bourne is seemingly benched and in the doghouse? Matt Patricia

Patricia also handles the O-Line and you got guys like Trent Brown who seem frustrated in their role and with how things have been recently.

This guy is a parasite. Detroit literally threw a celebration when they fired him and the Lions actually looked decent this past weekend and they clearly love playing for their coach. Patricia meanwhile just keeps a pencil in his ear despite carrying a LAMINATED playsheet  ::)

I think what is telling though is that Belichick seems to not really care and might actually be trying to help Patricia and cover for him as much as possible, which is... ugh. I wonder how the players will feel about that too. Can't be happy...

I didn't even think about that...Patricia is an idiot. Doghousing Malcolm Butler in Superbowl will always be unacceptable and unforgiveable in my books.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #138 on: September 13, 2022, 11:08:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If Kendrick Bourne demanded a trade this week, I wouldn't blame him. Absolutely ridiculous that our 2nd best WR and probably the most versatile guy on our offense is basically benched due to Belichick's and the coaching staff's ego.

And go figure, when he finally comes into the game, 2 plays later Mac connects with him on a 41-yard deep pass which looked awesome. Then he basically got benched again in the drive Agholor fumbled  ::)

Also, it's scary that this team is paying A TON (I think 60M+ combined) for extremely mediocre production at WR. Only Meyers and Bourne are reliable, and Henry but Henry is a TE.

Look at Miami. They got Waddle, Hill, and a bunch of great pieces AND coaching to surround Tua and help their QB. Then look at New England. Two clowns running the offense (Patricia, Judge) and lets be real, do we have anyone close to the level of Tyreek or even Waddle? I don't think so.
Bourne is a very good player with a very good connection with Mac.

So naturally he will be benched

Bourne was asked what he has been told about his benching.

“Not sure. Just playing my role. Whatever I have to do, I’m just waiting for that moment,” Bourne told reporters, including ESPN Boston’s Mike Reiss. “I don’t really know, so I’m waiting for my opportunity.”

NBC Sports Boston’s Phil Perry reported after the game that Bourne kept holding up one finger on the sideline after his big catch, as if to say “one target, one big play.” Bourne also appeared heated on the sideline after Nelson Algholor’s late fumble, and Jonnu Smith came over to help him calm down.

“[He is] somebody who is frustrated, would like to play more,” Perry said in a TV hit postgame. “And I can tell you his teammates — there are some that I’ve spoken to that would like to see him play more as well, and they are surprised they are not seeing more of Kendrick Bourne.”

I mean from this story he is both showing up the coaches with his one finger gesture (and perhaps also his qb). Then probably his teammate doesn’t like this reaction to fumble. Would probably be a trade candidate if this happens (or just forced to cut him).
Bad attitude will get you benched on any football team unless you are an elite player. Bourne needs to keep his mouth shut, his head right and perform like a star in practice. If he does that, he will get his playing time.

Belichick doesn't have issues benching players for whatever reasons. If your outspoken about your playing time publicly(or in the locker room) expect a benching. Bill sat Malcolm Butler in a SB and team captain Richard Seymour for taking too many days off for his father dying. So if Bourne is being a d!ck, he should expect being benched.
I'm just not sure that ruthless attitude will fly anymore if games aren't being won.
gouk, it's a tenet of football coaching in America and has been for like 70 years or more. It's not going to go away and I can assure you it happens on the down low across the NFL. One of the reasons some new head coaches don't last long is because they don't enforce the punishment of such behavior. They lose the locker room.

I don't see football coaches not enforcing bad attitude punishment of players any time soon.
Sure it is. But I'm just saying that if the team sucks, he's going to lose them. You cannot afford to be an overly harsh disciplinarian when the team is garbage.

Also, punishing a player for mourning for an unacceptably long period is beyond BS. I sure wouldn't play for any POS who would treat me that way.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2022, 12:05:57 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If Kendrick Bourne demanded a trade this week, I wouldn't blame him. Absolutely ridiculous that our 2nd best WR and probably the most versatile guy on our offense is basically benched due to Belichick's and the coaching staff's ego.

And go figure, when he finally comes into the game, 2 plays later Mac connects with him on a 41-yard deep pass which looked awesome. Then he basically got benched again in the drive Agholor fumbled  ::)

Also, it's scary that this team is paying A TON (I think 60M+ combined) for extremely mediocre production at WR. Only Meyers and Bourne are reliable, and Henry but Henry is a TE.

Look at Miami. They got Waddle, Hill, and a bunch of great pieces AND coaching to surround Tua and help their QB. Then look at New England. Two clowns running the offense (Patricia, Judge) and lets be real, do we have anyone close to the level of Tyreek or even Waddle? I don't think so.
Bourne is a very good player with a very good connection with Mac.

So naturally he will be benched

Bourne was asked what he has been told about his benching.

“Not sure. Just playing my role. Whatever I have to do, I’m just waiting for that moment,” Bourne told reporters, including ESPN Boston’s Mike Reiss. “I don’t really know, so I’m waiting for my opportunity.”

NBC Sports Boston’s Phil Perry reported after the game that Bourne kept holding up one finger on the sideline after his big catch, as if to say “one target, one big play.” Bourne also appeared heated on the sideline after Nelson Algholor’s late fumble, and Jonnu Smith came over to help him calm down.

“[He is] somebody who is frustrated, would like to play more,” Perry said in a TV hit postgame. “And I can tell you his teammates — there are some that I’ve spoken to that would like to see him play more as well, and they are surprised they are not seeing more of Kendrick Bourne.”

I mean from this story he is both showing up the coaches with his one finger gesture (and perhaps also his qb). Then probably his teammate doesn’t like this reaction to fumble. Would probably be a trade candidate if this happens (or just forced to cut him).
Bad attitude will get you benched on any football team unless you are an elite player. Bourne needs to keep his mouth shut, his head right and perform like a star in practice. If he does that, he will get his playing time.

Belichick doesn't have issues benching players for whatever reasons. If your outspoken about your playing time publicly(or in the locker room) expect a benching. Bill sat Malcolm Butler in a SB and team captain Richard Seymour for taking too many days off for his father dying. So if Bourne is being a d!ck, he should expect being benched.
I'm just not sure that ruthless attitude will fly anymore if games aren't being won.
gouk, it's a tenet of football coaching in America and has been for like 70 years or more. It's not going to go away and I can assure you it happens on the down low across the NFL. One of the reasons some new head coaches don't last long is because they don't enforce the punishment of such behavior. They lose the locker room.

I don't see football coaches not enforcing bad attitude punishment of players any time soon.
Sure it is. But I'm just saying that if the team sucks, he's going to lose them. You cannot afford to be an overly harsh disciplinarian when the team is garbage.

Also, punishing a player for mourning for an unacceptably long period is beyond BS. I sure wouldn't play for any POS who would treat me that way.
Yeah, the Seymour benching was probably Belichick's worst moment while on the Pats'. He handled that terribly.

« Reply #140 on: September 14, 2022, 12:08:57 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It’s fair to be critical of Patricia, but there are reports that Bourne:

Was late to a team meeting;
Got into a fight at a mixed scrimmage; and
Openly questioned the offense.

Those actions will get most non-stars benched temporarily.  You can only be a diva in the NFL if you’re irreplaceable.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #141 on: September 14, 2022, 12:54:28 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Those actions will get most non-stars benched temporarily.  You can only be a diva in the NFL if you’re irreplaceable.

As we saw with Antonio brown even that has its limits

« Reply #142 on: September 14, 2022, 01:43:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Patricia, nor do I hate the guy. Lots of Belichick acolytes have failed at head coaching. But, Patricia was a major coaching cog here for 3 Super Bowl wins and a near perfect season. I'm going to judge him on his work here, which was great.

I'm going to judge him from what he does from here on out. One game isn't enough to start taking out the pitchforks. It's a whole new offense. Let's see where it goes from here with the caveat that we need to realize there isn't one elite player at any position within this offense. That's going to cap any potential it has.

Regarding the benching, again, I think people wanted to jump all over Belichick for this, and over reacted. Now that we see what's being reported, it's obvious any coach in any sport would bench or severely cut the playing time of a good but not elite player that did what Bourne is reported to have done.

I said it elsewhere, that no one should care about this. It's a coaching decision any coach would make do to the player and 99.999% of the time fans just would not care even a little. But there is definitely a small vocal faction of fans that want to dump all over Belichick and want him out, so they leapt before they looked.

« Reply #143 on: September 14, 2022, 12:08:27 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Patricia, nor do I hate the guy. Lots of Belichick acolytes have failed at head coaching. But, Patricia was a major coaching cog here for 3 Super Bowl wins and a near perfect season. I'm going to judge him on his work here, which was great.

I'm going to judge him from what he does from here on out. One game isn't enough to start taking out the pitchforks. It's a whole new offense. Let's see where it goes from here with the caveat that we need to realize there isn't one elite player at any position within this offense. That's going to cap any potential it has.

Regarding the benching, again, I think people wanted to jump all over Belichick for this, and over reacted. Now that we see what's being reported, it's obvious any coach in any sport would bench or severely cut the playing time of a good but not elite player that did what Bourne is reported to have done.

I said it elsewhere, that no one should care about this. It's a coaching decision any coach would make do to the player and 99.999% of the time fans just would not care even a little. But there is definitely a small vocal faction of fans that want to dump all over Belichick and want him out, so they leapt before they looked.

Hundred percent with you on benching. People are actively looking for reasons to try and bash bill at this point and that was a poor one for them to have chosen.

« Reply #144 on: September 14, 2022, 02:43:38 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Brady made less and Bill still didn’t max out signings. Many asked why he wasn’t spending more for years.

Pats improved last year with a rookie QB. They lose the first game of his second season and now the greatest coach and a tremendous GM should get fired? Guy at the top of 6 Super Bowls only had success because of Brady making less money?

Garbage takes.

« Reply #145 on: September 14, 2022, 03:52:25 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Brady made less and Bill still didn’t max out signings. Many asked why he wasn’t spending more for years.

Pats improved last year with a rookie QB. They lose the first game of his second season and now the greatest coach and a tremendous GM should get fired? Guy at the top of 6 Super Bowls only had success because of Brady making less money?

Garbage takes.
He has been the head coach of 9 full seasons that didn't have Brady play more than 1 game, only 3 were above .500 with a 1-2 record in the playoffs.  With Brady, his worst regular season was 10-6, twice, he was 11-5 twice (they were 11-3 with Brady one of them), every other season they won at least 12 games.  It isn't exactly crazy to wonder how good Bill actually is without Brady.  And then of course Brady goes to 7-9 team that hadn't been in the playoffs in over a decade and immediately wins 11 games and leads them to the championship and then followed that up with a 13 win season and another playoff victory.  The evidence is really starting to mount up that Brady, not Bill, was the main driver of the success of the Patriots. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #146 on: September 14, 2022, 04:00:06 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Garbage takes.
He has been the head coach of 9 full seasons that didn't have Brady play more than 1 game, only 3 were above .500 with a 1-2 record in the playoffs.  With Brady, his worst regular season was 10-6, twice, he was 11-5 twice (they were 11-3 with Brady one of them), every other season they won at least 12 games.  It isn't exactly crazy to wonder how good Bill actually is without Brady.  And then of course Brady goes to 7-9 team that hadn't been in the playoffs in over a decade and immediately wins 11 games and leads them to the championship and then followed that up with a 13 win season and another playoff victory.  The evidence is really starting to mount up that Brady, not Bill, was the main driver of the success of the Patriots.

Brady has played well with the bucs, but pretty silly to just call it a 7-9 team and ignore them adding gronk, fournette, brown, suh, and others. That was probably a playoff team with Carson Wentz at the helm and definitely not the 7-9 team. If you look at the super bowl he threw for 201 yards. The new additions contributed to the bucs defense dominating the chiefs and holding them to 9 points. Ronald jones and fournette had 150 yards between them. Definitely a total team performance.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 04:07:22 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #147 on: September 14, 2022, 06:52:35 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Garbage takes.

Ouch. Got you pretty good there Smart.  Any rebuttle to those facts?

« Reply #148 on: September 14, 2022, 06:59:50 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Garbage takes.

Brady has played well with the bucs, but pretty silly to just call it a 7-9 team and ignore them adding gronk, fournette, brown, suh, and others. That was probably a playoff team with Carson Wentz at the helm and definitely not the 7-9 team. If you look at the super bowl he threw for 201 yards. The new additions contributed to the bucs defense dominating the chiefs and holding them to 9 points. Ronald jones and fournette had 150 yards between them. Definitely a total team performance.

And Clay that really just proves my point even more. Everyone wants to win Suberbowls and Play with the greatest QB of all time.

Bills ego got in the way of bringing in tons of great players that were begging to play with Tom. They didn't fit into his "system "

He's a good coach,  but he's been a terrible GM, especially as of late. Just look at the roster. The Patriots should have been an All Star team just like the bucs and the Rams roster.

He's a stubborn old man that's washed up. And just like Bill did with Lawyer Milloy,  Deon Branch, Seymour,  and countless others it's time to say thanks for your services and show him the door.

« Reply #149 on: September 14, 2022, 07:25:45 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
Few people on earth know about throwing more than Tom House. His coaching work can be traced back as far as the days of Nolan Ryan in baseball, and as recently as Tom Brady in football.

So, one day a little less than 10 years ago, House was walking by Patriots coach Bill Belichick’s office when Belichick called him in to ask a question.

House told the story on the Rich Eisen Show.
“Tell me why I shouldn’t trade Tom Brady,” Belichick said, according to House.
House made a case for Brady, who was around 36 or 37 years old at the time. He said that if Brady could follow four principles; biomechanics, functional strength, mental and emotional management, and nutrition and sleep for recovery, he’d be able to function the same way at age 45 as he did when he was 25.

“I said that if Tom does those four things, which he does to the T, there’s no reason he shouldn’t be able to play until he’s 45, and here we are,” said House.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 07:31:23 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.