Author Topic: 2022-23 College Football Thread  (Read 40962 times)

Re: 2022-23 College Football Thread
« Reply #330 on: December 03, 2022, 06:45:31 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I agree with SVG here:

https://twitter.com/realStanVG/status/1599149225132322817?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

To me the College Football Playoff makes no sense to me. Playing in your conference championship game should never work against you. Why should it be advantage for Ohio State and Alabama to sit home while USC and TCU have to play an extra game against a nationally ranked team?

Anyways, my guess at the Top-4 now

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. Ohio State

TCU only lost by 3 in OT to a #10 K-State team on a neutral site, and still finished the whole season with 1-loss like Ohio State. I think that + the idea of having matchups of Georgia-Ohio State, Michigan-TCU would entice the Committee to keep TCU at 3 and move Ohio State to 4.

But if the Committee really, really wants an OSU-MI rematch, they'll put Ohio State at 4 and TCU 3. But I'll be honest, if it's TCU-Georgia I think that'll be a Georgia blowout and not as enticing.

Under SVG’s theory, shouldn’t USC be top-4 as well?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #331 on: December 03, 2022, 06:48:07 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Lots of questionable short yardage play calls today.  I really think sometimes these coaches get too cute for their own good & end up playing right into the defense.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #332 on: December 03, 2022, 07:15:01 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1679
I agree with SVG mostly, but really I think conference championships are a relic of a bygone era when the CFB postseason wasn’t ruled by a playoff. 

Either remove it from seeding consideration or just straight up remove it.  I don’t really care which.  Conference championships serve a purpose in CBB but in football they just make a bigger mess.

« Reply #333 on: December 03, 2022, 07:29:03 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
CBS really pushing the Bama narrative.  Danielson carrying the water hard.

« Reply #334 on: December 03, 2022, 07:31:05 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
I agree with SVG mostly, but really I think conference championships are a relic of a bygone era when the CFB postseason wasn’t ruled by a playoff. 

Either remove it from seeding consideration or just straight up remove it.  I don’t really care which.  Conference championships serve a purpose in CBB but in football they just make a bigger mess.

They’re really money grabs more than anything.

« Reply #335 on: December 03, 2022, 09:32:45 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

Maybe that's true of the other conferences but winning the SEC championship still matters a bunch to the teams and the schools. 

Edit:  And with the new playoff criteria the college championship games are going to mean even more. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 10:35:53 PM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #336 on: December 04, 2022, 07:08:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Conference championship games are supposed to settle who the best team in the conference is, especially in the larger conferences when you don't play everyone.  They serve that purpose most years. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #337 on: December 04, 2022, 10:51:45 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
I agree with SVG here:

https://twitter.com/realStanVG/status/1599149225132322817?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

To me the College Football Playoff makes no sense to me. Playing in your conference championship game should never work against you. Why should it be advantage for Ohio State and Alabama to sit home while USC and TCU have to play an extra game against a nationally ranked team?

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. Ohio State

TCU only lost by 3 in OT to a #10 K-State team on a neutral site, and still finished the whole season with 1-loss like Ohio State. I think that + the idea of having matchups of Georgia-Ohio State, Michigan-TCU would entice the Committee to keep TCU at 3 and move Ohio State to 4.

But if the Committee really, really wants an OSU-MI rematch, they'll put Ohio State at 4 and TCU 3. But I'll be honest, if it's TCU-Georgia I think that'll be a Georgia blowout and not as enticing.

They definitely should.

Unfortunately though I don't think they'll look at it that way. Maybe if USC were undefeated and this were their first loss, but this is their second loss and honestly they got demolished. And their 2 losses this season came to the same team (Utah)

But personally I'd agree. If you were asking for my personal opinion on what it'd be, I'd still say:

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. USC

I definitely think they'll look over this in the coming year as to how conference championship games should affect the formulas/algorithms as it's not always fair to some teams

I mean Alabama and Ohio State were just sitting at home over the past week, I have no clue how they should just be able to potentially take a spot over another team that played an extra week compared to others, and against another good team (ex. TCU played the #10 ranked team in the country, USC played the #11 ranked)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 10:59:41 AM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #338 on: December 04, 2022, 11:01:17 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
My guess

Peach Bowl - Georgia/Ohio St
Fiesta Bowl - Michigan/TCU
Rose Bowl - Penn St/Utah
Sugar Bowl- Kansas St./Alabama
Orange Bowl- Clemson/Tennessee
Cotton Bowl - USC/Tulane

« Reply #339 on: December 04, 2022, 11:04:11 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
My guess

Rose Bowl - Penn St/Utah
Cotton Bowl - USC/Tulane

That's a great game, but also with A LOT OF ORANGE  :laugh:

« Reply #340 on: December 04, 2022, 11:09:05 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
My guess

Rose Bowl - Penn St/Utah
Cotton Bowl - USC/Tulane

That's a great game, but also with A LOT OF ORANGE  :laugh:

My gf is utterly spoiled and I continually remind her of that. Clemson undergrad, Georgia grad school.

« Reply #341 on: December 04, 2022, 11:37:46 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I agree with SVG here:

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. Ohio State

They definitely should.

Unfortunately though I don't think they'll look at it that way. Maybe if USC were undefeated and this were their first loss, but this is their second loss and honestly they got demolished. And their 2 losses this season came to the same team (Utah)

But personally I'd agree. If you were asking for my personal opinion on what it'd be, I'd still say:

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. USC

I definitely think they'll look over this in the coming year as to how conference championship games should affect the formulas/algorithms as it's not always fair to some teams

I mean Alabama and Ohio State were just sitting at home over the past week, I have no clue how they should just be able to potentially take a spot over another team that played an extra week compared to others, and against another good team (ex. TCU played the #10 ranked team in the country, USC played the #11 ranked)

I don’t think Alabama has an actual argument other than the discussion of them drives media attention.  They shouldn’t even be rated 6th ahead of Tennessee at 7th.

But in general, the committee says that one of the criteria is conference championships, and with their losses neither USC nor TCU are conference champions, so they don’t get that bonus point any more when being compared with OSU and Alabama.

« Reply #342 on: December 04, 2022, 12:41:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Officially official!

1 Georgia vs 4 Ohio State
2 Michigan vs 3 TCU

« Reply #343 on: December 04, 2022, 01:42:05 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Officially official!

1 Georgia vs 4 Ohio State
2 Michigan vs 3 TCU

Lines on DK right now.

Georgia -6.5
Michigan -9.5

« Reply #344 on: December 04, 2022, 02:22:22 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
Happens every year....two schools from the same conference get in. They've already played each other.

Its stupid. How may conferences are there? There was no other Conference with a good team at the top? Is college football that shallow of a talent pool, spread out too thin?

Best teams blah blah blah and they always happen to be amongst the same teams.