Author Topic: The last three roster spots will be determined in training camp  (Read 21161 times)

Re: The last three roster spots will be determined in training camp
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2022, 06:01:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
No team is going to have a better 5th guard than Pritchard. 

I think you'll see Pritchard in the rotation. Grouping players into a big category, like "guards", tends to obscure their differences, and thus their value in playing a complementary role in a rotation. Even a more modern term like "ballhandlers" isn't specific enough for a player like Pritchard; Ime seldom used him as the lone ballhandler (especially after the all-star break), preferring to pair him mostly with Derrick White, or less often with Marcus. Simply put, what brother Payton brings is unique, uniquely valuable, and perfectly complementary to the other players on the roster, and with a range of different lineups.

He moved up to about 19 minutes/game after the all-star break last season because he got intense with his defense and was recognized for it; but the fact that he shot .473 from 3 and .620 from 2 in a big sample size in that span can't have hurt. Those are spectacular numbers. Like most NBA players, better numbers followed from consistent minutes; but we would have to say both that Ime found a role for him to excel in and that he took full advantage.

He's a conservative but willing and effective playmaker, taking good care of the ball and making good choices at a high tempo (TOV% under 10, AST% over 20). He pushes it up the floor faster than anyone on the roster, except Davison.

In short: he doesn't "slot" behind anyone. He will wind up in all sorts of lineups as a secondary ballhandler. That hardly seems debatable; the more interesting question is if he could appear in 3-ballhandler units, for instance with White and Brogdon.

I think Pritchard's position is combo guard and he will play "behind" Smart, White, and Brogdon.  By "behind" I mean that Smart, White, and to some extent Brogdon are all also combo guards (play the same position) and they will all play more minutes than Pritchard.  They will play in several combinations but Pritchard will play the least (assuming all are healthy).  We may see 3 of these 4 on the court together some but I don't expect much of that.  More 2 of these 4 with either Brown or Tatum plus 2 bigs (Horford and RWill for example).

But I agree with you (and I thought I said this) that Pritchard is a very good player to fill that role.  Smart, White, and Brogdon are all better but Pritchard is plenty good in his own right.  We probably have more combo guard depth than we need.  White could be traded for a wing/SF (for example) and I would be completely comfortable if this resulted in Pritchard getting more minutes.

Last season his minutes ticked up after we traded Schroeder and Richardson leaving us Smart, White, and Pritchard as the combo guards.  Now we have Brogdon added to that so Pritchard will get less minutes.

I am a lot less comfortable with Pritchard in playoff rotation than I am the three guys you mentioned. Also is Schroeder even gonna be in the nba this year?

« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2022, 06:10:09 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I actually like Layman & I expect him to make it

What's Layman's defense look like?

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2022, 07:59:36 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I actually like Layman & I expect him to make it

What's Layman's defense look like?

Last preseason he said that he was going to improve his defense, because that was the key to playing time, and he saw 231 minutes of action.  I’ll let you make your own conclusions.

« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2022, 09:27:30 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
I am a lot less comfortable with Pritchard in playoff rotation than I am the three guys you mentioned. Also is Schroeder even gonna be in the nba this year?

Schröder should be playing in the NBA, whether he can find a home or not is an interesting question.

He just led Germany, along with Theis and Franz Wagner, over Giannis and Greece in Euro.

I think it’s more about fit, role, and money for him rather than talent. And he never should have turned down that $70M offer - no matter what his agent thought.

« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2022, 10:50:31 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121

I think Pritchard has a lot of potential - it just comes down to consistency, doing it every night. 

When he's playing well, he can be a genuine game changer.  Problem is that he has too many games where he kinda dissapears and doesn't really have any impact.

I think Pritchard is a skilled playmaker, a solid ball handler, and has the potential to be one of the best shooters in the NBA.  On top of that he seems very coachable, and he plays HARD every night.  I'm kinda hoping he takes a step forward this year, but it's probably going to be hard to do when he's stuck behind those three guys.  That being said, he clearly should be behind them in the rotation, so fair is fair.

« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2022, 07:53:43 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

I think you'll see Pritchard in the rotation. Grouping players into a big category, like "guards", tends to obscure their differences, and thus their value in playing a complementary role in a rotation. Even a more modern term like "ballhandlers" isn't specific enough for a player like Pritchard; Ime seldom used him as the lone ballhandler (especially after the all-star break), preferring to pair him mostly with Derrick White, or less often with Marcus. Simply put, what brother Payton brings is unique, uniquely valuable, and perfectly complementary to the other players on the roster, and with a range of different lineups.

He moved up to about 19 minutes/game after the all-star break last season because he got intense with his defense and was recognized for it; but the fact that he shot .473 from 3 and .620 from 2 in a big sample size in that span can't have hurt. Those are spectacular numbers. Like most NBA players, better numbers followed from consistent minutes; but we would have to say both that Ime found a role for him to excel in and that he took full advantage.

He's a conservative but willing and effective playmaker, taking good care of the ball and making good choices at a high tempo (TOV% under 10, AST% over 20). He pushes it up the floor faster than anyone on the roster, except Davison.

In short: he doesn't "slot" behind anyone. He will wind up in all sorts of lineups as a secondary ballhandler. That hardly seems debatable; the more interesting question is if he could appear in 3-ballhandler units, for instance with White and Brogdon.

I think Pritchard's position is combo guard and he will play "behind" Smart, White, and Brogdon.  By "behind" I mean that Smart, White, and to some extent Brogdon are all also combo guards (play the same position) and they will all play more minutes than Pritchard.  They will play in several combinations but Pritchard will play the least (assuming all are healthy).  We may see 3 of these 4 on the court together some but I don't expect much of that.  More 2 of these 4 with either Brown or Tatum plus 2 bigs (Horford and RWill for example).

But I agree with you (and I thought I said this) that Pritchard is a very good player to fill that role.  Smart, White, and Brogdon are all better but Pritchard is plenty good in his own right.  We probably have more combo guard depth than we need.  White could be traded for a wing/SF (for example) and I would be completely comfortable if this resulted in Pritchard getting more minutes.

Last season his minutes ticked up after we traded Schroeder and Richardson leaving us Smart, White, and Pritchard as the combo guards.  Now we have Brogdon added to that so Pritchard will get less minutes.

If we were to trade White, Pritchard would still slot "behind" Smart and Brogdon so it would be much like last season with Smart starting but with Brogdon off the bench instead of White.  I think Pritchard can handle that role.  Trading White would have to bring back something good at another position, wing or big.  It would spread out our depth some.  For example trading White for a vet wing might mean that Pritchard plays more but Hauser plays less.  Since I view Pritchard as better than Hauser, the result is more balanced depth.  Or if White is traded for a big, maybe it is Vonleh who plays less.

« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2022, 08:14:54 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

If we were to trade White, Pritchard would still slot "behind" Smart and Brogdon so it would be much like last season with Smart starting but with Brogdon off the bench instead of White.  I think Pritchard can handle that role.  Trading White would have to bring back something good at another position, wing or big.  It would spread out our depth some.  For example trading White for a vet wing might mean that Pritchard plays more but Hauser plays less.  Since I view Pritchard as better than Hauser, the result is more balanced depth.  Or if White is traded for a big, maybe it is Vonleh who plays less.

This team is harder than most to project minutes on. Positions count less than how many total players are more impactful than you regardless of position.

If we bring in a player at almost any position, especially a good one, it will result in changes to how Tatum and especially Brown are used. They plug in anywhere at the 2,3 and 4 spots, so getting a good wing backup may on net just mean more minutes for Jaylen at the 2.

Pritchard plays if he can come in cold and shoot lights out. If he can distribute effectively. If he struggles like last year, he may not play much.

« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2022, 09:20:47 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
Also is Schroeder even gonna be in the nba this year?

He probably will after his strong performance in Eurobasket, but he's definitely a borderline-NBA player by definition (as he entered into the tournament without a contract).

Definitely one of the biggest contract misses in a while - not taking the 4/80 from the Lakers (or whatever it was)
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2022, 04:39:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
USA Today is suggesting that Thomas and Jackson will be in training camp.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/six-players-boston-celtics-training-191621180.html

Just bad reporting, or do they know something that we don’t?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2022, 05:48:55 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
USA Today is suggesting that Thomas and Jackson will be in training camp.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/six-players-boston-celtics-training-191621180.html

Just bad reporting, or do they know something that we don’t?

It is not a shocking report but with the other training camp signees, there was a specific report when the player signed.

I think that is a decent crop of players even though most are fringe NBA with maybe Vonleh being a little better than that.  Having these 6 in camp does not mean we won't sign a more established vet FA or two if they become available.  We have 3 spots left.  Probably only 1 or 2 of these make the team.  I still expect at least one more established vet to be signed, maybe 2.

« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2022, 06:11:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Bring in Blake griffin

« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2022, 06:43:13 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2022, 06:49:10 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Anyone want to bet Brodrick Thomas makes the team?

« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2022, 06:56:10 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Anyone want to bet Brodrick Thomas makes the team?

I like Thomas.  I would be fine with him as say the 14th man on the roster.

« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2022, 09:08:14 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Bring in Blake griffin
I thought he gave Brooklyn some nice minutes in the first round last year. His defense is terrible but he's such a good ballhandler for his size and a smart offensive player. I'd rather pick him up than Carmelo.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008