Author Topic: As is, are the Nets a title contender?  (Read 5726 times)

As is, are the Nets a title contender?
« on: July 08, 2022, 12:23:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Let's say the Nets patch things up with Durant and Kyrie.  Are they good enough to win?

Simmons / Claxton
Durant / Warren
Harris / O'Neale / Edwards
Curry / Thomas
Kyrie / Mills

If that team was healthy and focused, it seems to have as much talent as any team in the NBA, right?  There are some issues with defense and roster construction, but that team has elite firepower.

I'm curious regarding how much energy the Nets are spending to get Durant to stay.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: As is, are the Nets a title contender?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 12:33:40 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
That’s a very talented team on paper and Simmons should make a big difference to their overall team defense. The owners should want to see how those guys look on the court together before blowing it up. Luckily for them, Danny Ainge set the market with the Gobert trade and I don’t expect there are many teams willing to gut their roster and mortgage their future in order to land KD given his age.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 12:38:02 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I think they are definitely a good team, albeit with some serious injury concerns.  Warren missed all last year.  Harris missed almost all of last year.  Who knows what's up with Simmons' back.  Durant had a knee issue for a couple of months and obviously has a significant injury history.  Kyrie's health record is pretty spotty, having played more than 75% of games in a season 4 out of 11 years in his career.  Injuries can obviously happen to any team, but their top 6 (starters plus Warren) missed an average of 55 games last year.  Yes, Irving and Simmons were to varying degree self-inflicted, but it's also unlikely either were going to play the entire season even if they didn't have their separate issues.

I also don't think there's a prayer they can patch things up with Kyrie, and thus, by extension, Durant, so in my opinion it's pretty moot.

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 12:42:25 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
They can be a nightmare to defend.   

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 12:47:19 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I think in the series against Boston starting Claxton felt like a it opened up a massive disparity in the 2 team's 3 point defense and effectiveness at the line. I'm not sure if adding Ben Simmons will help their free throw shooting but he should provide a massive boost to their perimeter defense and playmaking while not giving up much to Claxton in post defense.

Also worth looking the return of Joe Harris who can go on 9-0 runs by himself, and TJ Warren who is due for a nice bounceback year.

They lost Bruce Brown and Andre Drummond but they gained Royce O'Neal who might be a better fit for what they are asking of the role and might also expect to see some natural progression from Kessler Edwards and Cam Thomas.

Wouldn't feel great banking on the health and effectiveness of Seth Curry and Patty Mills.

Not sure if they are title contenders like they were on paper when they had Harden but it should be an interesting year and wouldn't be surprised if they went on a tear mid season. Whether or not they can contend IMO will be dictated by how well Ben Simmons plays this year.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 01:01:37 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Any roster with Kevin Durant is a contender.

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 01:15:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
If everything goes right for every team in the league, I still don't think they are a top 3 team, but certainly would be in the mix in the group in the 4-8 range.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 01:30:33 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Don't think they'd be a contender unless everything went well for them and poorly for the actual contenders.  Don't know why people think Simmons at the 5 is a good idea.  He's not Giannis.  You're turning an elite perimeter defender into an average at best interior defender.  The other starters are weak defensively except KD.  As for their offense, I don't think it is that great.  Simmons offensive limitations are well known and will hamper the Nets like it did the Sixers. 

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 02:23:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Absolutely.

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 02:31:15 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Let's say the Nets patch things up with Durant and Kyrie.  Are they good enough to win?

Simmons / Claxton
Durant / Warren
Harris / O'Neale / Edwards
Curry / Thomas
Kyrie / Mills

If that team was healthy and focused, it seems to have as much talent as any team in the NBA, right?  There are some issues with defense and roster construction, but that team has elite firepower.

I'm curious regarding how much energy the Nets are spending to get Durant to stay.

I’m not sure I would classify Simmons as a center, maybe he can in certain lineups.

I’m going to throw a darkhorse name that could contribute for them, center Day’Ron Sharpe. Last year’s late first round pick, and possibly someone that was overlooked in the draft. He played well in spurts last year, and has a strong defensive and rebounding mindset. Only 20 though, so maybe he needs more seasoning before he is to be considered a rotation player for them. I like him though.

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2022, 02:44:18 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
They should target Myles Turner to play center next to Ben Simmons. Something like Joe Harris + picks. That would give them much better balance.

G: Kyrie, Mills
G: Seth Curry, C.Thomas
F: Durant, K.Edwards
F: Ben Simmons, Royce O'Neale
C: Myles Turner, Claxton

That two guard spot still feels an issue. Kyrie is a little small at PG and Mills is very small at backup PG. It puts a lot of added pressure on them to be so small at SG as well. It would benefit them a lot to have a real wing player there.

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2022, 03:51:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Not with Kyrie as one of your top players, moody, and fickle.

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2022, 03:55:08 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Sure, compared to last year's roster, they pick up Joe Harris, Ben Simmons and TJ Warren...but remember they got swept in the 1st round with their best players playing.

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2022, 04:32:47 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
if everything breaks their way, sure they're a contender -- if by 'contender' a team that has at least an outside shot of winning a title.  They definitely wouldn't be the favorites within in their own division though

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2022, 05:05:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Yesterday contender ,  today a pretender  :…….

Soooooooooo sad  :)