Author Topic: NBA Off Season 2022  (Read 104497 times)

Re: Re: NBA Season 2021-22
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2022, 11:49:45 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Kyrie Irving receives permission to discuss sign-and-trade deals

While Nets GM Sean Marks and superstar forward Kevin Durant have yet to speak this offseason, Kyrie Irving’s camp has requested and received permission from the Nets to speak with other teams about sign-and-trade packages, according to multiple sources familiar with the situation. – via Kristian Winfield @ New York Daily News

Irving reportedly has six teams on his radar: the Lakers, Clippers, Knicks, Heat, 76ers and Mavericks. A Durant and Westbrook reunion in Brooklyn remains unlikely, according to a source. The Knicks, Mavericks and Heat are the teams that have the biggest capacity to pull off a deal for Irving, but the Knicks and Mavericks appear to be in a bidding war over free agent guard Jalen Brunson. – via Kristian Winfield @ New York Daily News

Too lazy to look...  how many of those teams would be severely restricted by the hard cap?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2022, 12:50:30 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

While Nets GM Sean Marks and superstar forward Kevin Durant have yet to speak this offseason, Kyrie Irving’s camp has requested and received permission from the Nets to speak with other teams about sign-and-trade packages, according to multiple sources familiar with the situation. – via Kristian Winfield @ New York Daily News

Irving reportedly has six teams on his radar: the Lakers, Clippers, Knicks, Heat, 76ers and Mavericks. A Durant and Westbrook reunion in Brooklyn remains unlikely, according to a source. The Knicks, Mavericks and Heat are the teams that have the biggest capacity to pull off a deal for Irving, but the Knicks and Mavericks appear to be in a bidding war over free agent guard Jalen Brunson. – via Kristian Winfield @ New York Daily News

Too lazy to look...  how many of those teams would be severely restricted by the hard cap?

Not sure, also not sure why many of those teams would be interested. I think LAL would make sense, but not really the others. Thibbs is a defense first coach, Harden wanted out of Brooklyn because of Kyrie, can’t see Irving and Kawhi coexisting. Maybe Miami, but Spo is also a defensive minded coach. He benched Duncan for most of the series vs the C’s due to his inability to defend. Can’t see Cuban pulling the trigger on the mercurial Irving after the Mavs just made it to the WCF. That could easily blow up in his face as it did in Boston and now Brooklyn. Kyrie seems to be getting more unstable as he ages.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2022, 12:53:24 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Not sure, also not sure why many of those teams would be interested. I think LAL would make sense, but not really the others. Thibbs is a defense first coach, Harden wanted out of Brooklyn because of Kyrie, can’t see Irving and Kawhi coexisting. Maybe Miami, but Spo is also a defensive minded coach. He benched Duncan for most of the series vs the C’s due to his inability to defend. Can’t see Cuban pulling the trigger on the mercurial Irving after the Mavs just made it to the WCF. That could easily blow up in his face as it did in Boston and now Brooklyn. Kyrie seems to be getting more unstable as he ages.

Part of me wants to see Jimmy Butler and Kyrie Irving together, just to see the drama.  Butler seemingly doesn't tolerate guys who lack competitive drive and work ethic.

I agree with your analysis, though, and apparently Woj does too:

Adrian Wojnarowski: ESPN Sources: Outside of the Lakers, there are currently no known teams planning pursuit of sign-and-trades for Nets G Kyrie Irving. No sign-and-trades can be formally discussed until after 6 PM on Thursday. Brooklyn isn’t believed to have interest in available Lakers packages.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2022, 01:24:36 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

If the trade is "pick up option" and trade, then I don't think a hard cap will be imposed.  That applies if it is "sign a new contract" and trade.  I suspect that what Kyrie is going to have to do is a trade that is contingent on him picking up his option.  If it is that, then any team that can match salary can make the trade.  A new contract sign and trade would eliminate about every team if not ever team he wants to sign with. 

Teams can try to figure out ways to dump salary to get under the cap but that is Kyrie's conundrum.  Teams can't sign him or do a sign and trade.  They simply are not allow to do this without massive salary reductions.  Teams can trade for him but only if he picks up the final year and BKN is willing to take back whatever the other team is offering.

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2022, 01:33:19 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

better question -- which of those teams actually has someone Brooklyn would want of comparable salary and would also want Kyrie?

Miami - not giving up Butler or Bam.  Can't see Brooklyn thinking Herro is a good starting point
Knicks - Randle might get the Nets thinking but would NY want Kyrie after seeing the Kyrie mess up close and after shipping out their best player?
Clips - PG and Kawhi are worth more than Kyrie.  Can't see them having an interest in pairing Kyrie with whichever one they trade away.
Mavs - Luka isn't going anywhere and there's really no one else that I can see the Nets being interested in
Philly - already made a deal with the Nets to get Harden.  can't see them sending Harden back nor aggravating Harden by making him play with Kyrie again.
Lakers - Lebron's going nowhere.  AD maybe?  Westbrook should be a non-starter for the Nets.  Would Lebron even want to play with Kyrie again and would Durant want to play with Westbrook?  can't see either as a good thing.  Moving AD for Kyrie would make the Lakers weaker so that's a plus in my book.

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2022, 01:39:28 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Adrian Wojnarowski: ESPN Sources: Outside of the Lakers, there are currently no known teams planning pursuit of sign-and-trades for Nets G Kyrie Irving. No sign-and-trades can be formally discussed until after 6 PM on Thursday. Brooklyn isn’t believed to have interest in available Lakers packages. – via Twitter wojespn

What can the Lakers offer, Kyrie for Westbrook?  Ha, yeah, let's see if that happens.  And this would have to be a pick up option and trade, not a sign and trade.  The Lakers are currently over the hard cap.  They might be able to be under it if they  trade Westbrook back to the Nets but that is only with about 8 players signed.

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2022, 01:43:59 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Adrian Wojnarowski: ESPN Sources: Outside of the Lakers, there are currently no known teams planning pursuit of sign-and-trades for Nets G Kyrie Irving. No sign-and-trades can be formally discussed until after 6 PM on Thursday. Brooklyn isn’t believed to have interest in available Lakers packages. – via Twitter wojespn

What can the Lakers offer, Kyrie for Westbrook?  Ha, yeah, let's see if that happens.  And this would have to be a pick up option and trade, not a sign and trade.  The Lakers are currently over the hard cap.  They might be able to be under it if they  trade Westbrook back to the Nets but that is only with about 8 players signed.

I have no idea if this is legit but there's some chatter that Kyrie would opt out and sign outright with the lakers.  They could only offer him one year for $6mm.  then maybe be able to sign him next year to more.

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2022, 01:48:49 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton

I have no idea if this is legit but there's some chatter that Kyrie would opt out and sign outright with the lakers.  They could only offer him one year for $6mm.  then maybe be able to sign him next year to more.

Keith Smith
@KeithSmithNBA
Kyrie Irving opting out of $36M to sign for $6M is a ludicrous idea...and it's something I absolutely think he might do.

I believe Kyrie when he says it's not about the money for him. Or I, at least, believe him more than just about anyone else playing in the NBA.

He's only commenting on it, not reporting it.  I don't know if those reporting are legitimate sources.

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2022, 01:49:26 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton

Keith Smith
@KeithSmithNBA
Kyrie Irving opting out of $36M to sign for $6M is a ludicrous idea...and it's something I absolutely think he might do.

I believe Kyrie when he says it's not about the money for him. Or I, at least, believe him more than just about anyone else playing in the NBA.

He's only commenting on it, not reporting it.  I don't know if those reporting are legitimate sources.

That being said.  I do think he's crazy enough to do it.

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2022, 03:20:18 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I wonder if LAL would do a bigger trade of Westbrook & AD for Kyrie & Ben Simmons if ... BKN has no interest in Westbrook + LAL is unwilling to do AD for Kyrie.

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2022, 03:23:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

He is giving up over 30 million dollars in the next year alone?

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2022, 03:33:38 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

He is giving up over 30 million dollars in the next year alone?

If there is one player in the NBA who is flaky & insane enough to do it, it'd certainly be Kyrie.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2022, 03:35:57 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10040099-espn-nets-prepared-to-lose-both-kyrie-irving-kevin-durant-amid-nba-trade-rumors

Crazy. Not sure how much to trust Windhorst here. Could potentially just be Brooklyn propaganda to get Kyrie and KD to submit, or knowing Windhorst it could even be Lebron propaganda.

That said, it’s also not crazy to think that management and ownership is legit with this threat. I know if I was paying for that I’d be ticked by the product my money brought with Irving being a part-time player and causing all this drama. I’d very likely feel the same way about not committing to him long-term.

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2022, 03:39:42 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
ESPN: “[The Nets] are prepared to lose both Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant.” @WindhorstESPN on the state of the Nets.

Pretty crazy..
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2022, 04:16:42 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Gonna be Durant to Phoenix for Ayton...Kyrie to the Lakers
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.