Author Topic: Celtics DLeague Affiliate in Maine?  (Read 3021 times)

Celtics DLeague Affiliate in Maine?
« on: March 10, 2009, 02:31:35 AM »

Offline mainenbafan

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 1
The new team in Portland, Maine has been highly speculated to be affiliated with the Celtics. This is huge news for all of us Celtics fans in Maine. I helped create the official facebook group for this team and am also so excited that I recently made a team fan blog.

Even if you don't live in Maine, check out their site. They are currently accepting votes for the new team name and someone will be randomly chosen to win 2 Celtics playoff tickets (takes like 2 minutes to vote).

If anyone wants information on the team, I'd love for you to check out my blog for information and links to their official pages. www.mainenbafan.blogspot.comThanks!

Re: Celtics DLeague Affiliate in Maine?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 12:48:04 AM »

Offline mainenbafan

• JD Davison
I know this isn't celtics related besides the playoff tickets chance and possibility of the team being affiliated with the celtics so I'm sorry if this doesnt belong here. I'm just curious as to what people think about the team names they've narrowed it down to, and what people have voted for. I've heard a lot of people saying they are lame and I kind of agree. I wonder what you celtics fans from places outside of Maine think about the choices. I'm psyched about this team so please give your reactions to these names. These are the ones you can vote on at their site:

Maine Beacons- The Beacons is a tribute to the more than 60 lighthouses in Maine that guide ships safely to shore, like our coaches will guide our team to victory. 

Maine Crushers- The Crushers celebrates the lobster industry in Maine.  A lobster uses the crusher claw to destroy their prey, much like our team intends to crush our opponents.

Maine Claws- The Claws name celebrates the lobster industry in Maine. Maine is the largest producer of lobsters in the United States.

Maine Destroyers- The Destroyers name honors the 400 years of shipbuilding in Maine.  It is a vibrant part of Maine’s culture and history, and also represents our teams desire to destroy the competition. 

Maine Red Claws- The Red Claws name celebrates the lobster industry in Maine.  Maine is the largest producer of lobsters in the United States.  The “Red” is in tribute to Boston Celtics Legend Arnold "Red" Auerbach. 

Maine Swarm- The Swarm represents the state insect of Maine which is the Honey Bee.  Bees swarm together as a group to reach a goal, much like our players working together to win games and get the call-up to the NBA.     

Maine Traps- The Traps honors the tradition of lobstering in Maine and the hard working lobstermen.  Our team will work hard to trap our opponent and get the win every night. 

P.S. Tough loss tonight. It's definitely not much fun watching them lose during the "healing and resting" stage of the season. Can't wait to see the healthy Celtics playing playoff basketball again.

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 08:11:48 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
i like the beacons or the destroyers, though i would just go with shamrocks.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 12:44:42 PM »

Offline mainenbafan

• JD Davison
From what I hear, beacons is currently in the lead. Shamrocks would not be allowed because of legal issues with the celtics. Otherwise that would be perfect. I wanted them to call them The Portland Truth in honor of Paul Pierce but that would probably have the same issues. I think the D-League really sticks to the idea of using team names that go with states' histories. Thanks for the input though.
As a quick update, Tuesday the staff of the new team (including ex assistant coach Jon Jennings) will be at a local restaurant meeting fans and raffling off an autographed Pierce Jersey. I don't want it to look like I'm advertising for the restaurant so I wont give the details here. Instead i'll spam my blog instead and tell you the details are there  :P. Link is in my first post.